Dec 7, 2013, 4:20 PM EDT
KANSAS CITY – Saturday’s kickoff for the 18th MLS Cup has already made history as the coldest match ever in MLS. It just also happens to be one of the league’s most important matches ever — the 18th championship.
Today, temperature at kickoff for MLS Cup 2013 was officially recorded at 20 degrees at Sporting Park.
The previous record for any MLS match, in the regular season or post-season, was set just two weeks ago in the same stadium, here at Sporting Park, where Sporting Kansas City and Houston kicked off in 22 degree temperatures.
The new record low obliterates the old marks for coldest MLS Cup. Games in 1996 in New England), in 1997 in Washington D.C., in 2009 in Seattle and in 2010 in Toronto all kicked off in the low 40s. Toronto was the coldest at 42 degrees.
- Atlanta’s new MLS franchise has already sold 14,000 season tickets 3
- No signings in 2015: Barcelona’s transfer ban upheld, FIFA rejects appeal 3
- Report: Tottenham set to raid Manchester United, line up Fellaini, Hernandez deals 6
- Spanish Super Cup: Late goal allows Atlético to claim first leg draw at Real Madrid 0
- UEFA Champions League Roundup: Arsenal held; Athletic takes 1-1 draw out of Naples 1
- PST Major League Soccer Player of the Week: Fabián Castillo 0