Dec 7, 2013, 4:20 PM EDT
KANSAS CITY – Saturday’s kickoff for the 18th MLS Cup has already made history as the coldest match ever in MLS. It just also happens to be one of the league’s most important matches ever — the 18th championship.
Today, temperature at kickoff for MLS Cup 2013 was officially recorded at 20 degrees at Sporting Park.
The previous record for any MLS match, in the regular season or post-season, was set just two weeks ago in the same stadium, here at Sporting Park, where Sporting Kansas City and Houston kicked off in 22 degree temperatures.
The new record low obliterates the old marks for coldest MLS Cup. Games in 1996 in New England), in 1997 in Washington D.C., in 2009 in Seattle and in 2010 in Toronto all kicked off in the low 40s. Toronto was the coldest at 42 degrees.
- Stars of CONCACAF: Ranking the top 10 players at the 2015 Gold Cup 5
- “Angel Di Maria has most talent at Manchester United,” says teammate. Agree? 8
- VIDEO: Breaking down the done deals and transfer gossip in PST Extra 0
- Liverpool complete $20 million signing of Nathaniel Clyne from Southampton 1
- Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup roundup: Union, Orlando, Chicago move on as Charlotte bounced 2
- With the World Cup on the line, the USWNT gave us a vintage performance to savor 3