Dec 7, 2013, 9:34 AM EDT
It’s an important match at The Hawthorns today, with both West Bromwich Albion and Norwich City needing a win to give them a bit of breathing space (10 a.m. ET; watch live online via NBC Sports Live Extra).
This should make for an interesting matchup. Oddly enough, despite being three places behind West Brom in the standings, Norwich actually have more wins — the Baggies are just better at grabbing a draw, with six compared to Norwich’s two. But, despite a late midweek comeback at the Hawthorns, West Brom were unable to snatch a draw against Manchester City. That leaves the hosts without a win in their last four and in danger of being pushed toward the bottom three.
Still, the Albion are not in as much danger as Norwich. Yes, they’re just a point behind the Baggies, but their inconsistency, coupled with their tendency to lose dramatically — 5-1 at Liverpool midweek, and remember the 7-0 thrashing by Manchester City — means Chris Hughton fights a pretty consistent battle for his job. It won’t help that they’re without Robert Snodgrass, who’s scored in the last two matches, thanks to a knee injury. Gary Hooper does return, though, after starting the last match on the bench.
West Bromwich Albion: Myhill, Jones, McAuley, Lugano, Ridgewell, Yacob, Mulumbu, Amalfitano, Sessegnon, Brunt, Anichebe
Subs: L Daniels, Dawson, Long, Vydra, Popov, Morrison, Berahino
Norwich City: Ruddy; Whittaker, Turner, Bassong, Olsson; Redmond, Howson, Johnson, Fer, Elmander, Hooper
Subs: Nash, Martin, Hoolahan, Garrido, Becchio, R Bennett, Josh Murphy
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 2
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top (video) 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- David Moyes on Manchester United’s win vs. West Brom: “That’s more like it” 0
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return
- Aberdeen March on in Scottish FA Cup
- 2014 MLS Season: Rebuilding The San Jose Earthquakes