Dec 10, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
Just in time for FIFA’s Ballon d’Or, Cristiano Ronaldo has blessed the soccer world with one additional achievement.
Ronaldo goal in a 2-0 win over FC Copenhagen was No. 9 in the group stage, setting the new mark in the opening stage of UEFA Champions League.
His goal Wednesday was the second for the Spanish giants, following a very sweet strike from Luka Modric. The Croatian international’s curler was surely the more highlight-worthy, but Ronaldo’s was the history maker.
Several big scorers had struck for eight in group play, but Ronaldo was the first to climb past that plateau.
FIFA’s Ballon d’Or has been narrowed to a fine list of finalists: Ronaldo, Lionel Messi and Franck Ribery.
The list of UEFA Champions League group stage top scorers:
- Cristiano Ronaldo, Real Madrid (2013-14), 9 goals
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Paris Saint-Germain (2013-14), 8 goals
- Ruud van Nistelrooy, Manchester United (2004-05), 8 goals
- Filippo Inzaghi, AC Milan (2002-03), 8 goals
- Hernan Crespo, Inter Milan (2002-03), 8 goals
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 5 0
- Euro 2020 semis, final to be played at Wembley Stadium 1
- Sloppy USWNT 4-0 win over Mexico adds fuel to turf conversation fire 0
- MLS’s new logo: Reddit (yes, Reddit) may have a way to solve the league’s new problem 11
- Europe League roundup: Everton big winners at home; Spurs left with draw on the road 0
- It’s not too late for Major League Soccer to turn away from its new logo 22