Dec 11, 2013, 1:45 PM EDT
Well, that didn’t take long.
Mere hours after announcing the end of his playing career, Matt Reis is headed across the country to where he was born and raised, becoming goalkeeper coach for the Los Angeles Galaxy.
Reis was born and raised about an hour’s drive away from L.A. in Mission Viejo, Calif., and played his college soccer at UCLA before becoming a third-round draft pick of the Galaxy in 1998.
You know, pre-clean dome Reis (see photo)?
“We are pleased to have Matt join our staff and coach the club’s goalkeepers,” said LA Galaxy general manager and head coach Bruce Arena. “Matt’s experience as a player and knowledge of MLS will serve him well in his new role.”
Reis is also going to oversee the Galaxy Academy’s goalkeepers.
Suffice it to say it’s a fairly monumental day for the Reis family.
- $410 million Las Vegas soccer stadium deal closer; next stop, Major League Soccer… 4
- Report: Arsenal bid $82 million for Edinson Cavani. Remy, Falcao, Welbeck linked 8
- Confirmed: Neil Warnock takes over at Crystal Palace; what will he bring? 0
- PST’s Major League Soccer Power Rankings – Whole New World Edition 1
- Samuel Eto’o signs two-year deal with Everton 0
- League Cup Roundup: Manchester United embarrassed by Milton Keynes, 4-0 13