Dec 11, 2013, 8:31 AM EDT
- The rumors are running rampant this Wednesday morning, as multiple outlets are running with a Goal.com story that says Wayne Rooney has rejected Manchester United’s advance over a contract extension. Rooney is signed through next season, but the site’s unnamed (of course) source said:
“Wayne is resisting any and all attempts from the club to talk about his contract situation. He knows, more than anything, that with his contract running down and in the form that he is in, he holds all the aces.”
- Meanwhile, those pesky Rooney rumors are on the heels of another pest (thought perhaps in name only), as Brazilian U17 attacking sensation Thiago Rodrigues da Silva a.k.a Mosquito is said to be high on David Moyes desired list. He’s also been mentioned a s target for Juventus, Real Madrid and Chelsea, having starred at the U17 World Cup. He’ll turn 18 early in January.
- Another Brazilian is calling out to Moyes, literally. Cruzeiro star Everton Ribeiro wants a move to Manchester, which would cost the Red Devils around 15 million pounds. He’s made a dazzling modern quote on how well he’d fit in:
“United have Rooney, Shinji Kagawa, and David de Gea. I know them well because I play with them a lot in video games. When you play it day after day you get to know the players even better.”
Of course he does. The 25-year-old score 15 times in 51 matches as Cruzeiro won the Campeonato Brasileiro Série A.
- Monaco are working to pry Vincent Kompany from Manchester City to the tune of 17 millions pounds. French reports say Monaco has already contacted the agent of City’s injury-plagued captain, though Manuel Pellegrini is not looking to sell the defender.
- Hull City and Newcastle United are intertwined in a number of striker suggestions. Tigers manager Steve Bruce is said to want big veteran Shola Ameobi from the Magpies, though the Nigerian may want to stay at Newcastle ahead of new life as a World Cup hopeful. Meanwhile, Bruce also allegedly wants Marseille’s Jordan Ayew, the brother of Ghana star Andre Ayew, who’s been linked with Newcastle in the past.
Meanwhile, Stoke City is said to be a possible destination for another long-held Magpies target in Dutch forward Luuk de Jong, who continues a struggle to find his footing at Borussia Mönchengladbach.
- Could 29 million from Barcelona be enough to tempt Chelsea into selling David Luiz? Tata Martino tried to get the defender in his side this summer but the transfer figure gap was significant between the two clubs.
- Netherlands and Roma on alert after Kevin Strootman carted off against Napoli 0
- Quick Six: Chelsea’s second halves, Fulham helps Cardiff, and the rest of the headlines from this weekend’s Premier League action 0
- What a photo: Lazio plays to near-empty Stadio Olimpico as fans protest club president 0
- Americans Abroad Review: Boyd and Johannsson shine again 1
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Will Johnson: We Weren't all Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro
- Juventus Prove They Know how to Win Despite Weak Performance Against Fiore
- Liverpool is Ready to Spend $100 Million in Summer Transfers
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear