Dec 13, 2013, 10:32 PM EST
Top of the Premier League, Arsenal are looking to at least keep the status quo heading into January.
With Arsene Wenger looking to tie up key players, Bacary Sagna looks to be the first through the gates, with the Daily Mail’s Neil Ashton reporting the French defender is close to a contract extension.
A Gunner since 2007 and owner of 255 appearances with Arsenal, Sagna has been a massive part of Wenger’s defense this season.
Despite missing three matches this year with a hamstring injury, Sanga put in a heck of a shift early on, even deputizing at central defense – and doing an adequate job of it – while injuries ravaged Wenger’s squad.
Sagna is a game-time decision with that hamstring knock ahead of Arsenal’s huge match with Manchester City on Saturday.
According to Ashton, the next two weeks will see positive news out of the Emirates regarding the 30-year-old right-back and possibly others.
Sagna’s current deal expires this summer.
Other Gunners out of contract this summer include Tomas Rosicky, Nicolas Bendtner and Emmanuel Frimpong. Mikel Arteta, Per Mertesacker, Thomas Vermaelen, and Mathieu Flamini all see their deals expire in the following summer.
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Watch Live: Sporting Kansas City at Seattle Sounders (Lineups and discussion) 0
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- David Moyes on Manchester United’s win vs. West Brom: “That’s more like it” 0
- Arsenal 4-1 Everton: Gunners book FA Cup semifinal spot 0
- Sunderland Boss Poyet Challenges Altidore to Prove Him Wrong
- 3 Hopes and One Fear for Montreal Impact
- Top Four Serie A Teams to Meet in Couple of Crucial Encounters
- Liverpool Eyeing Valencia Midfielder Dani Parejo
- Barca Have $83M for Transfers Plus Funds Raised from Sold Players
- What am I Watching?: The Paradox of the National Team
- Preview: Seattle Sounders vs Sporting Kansas City
- Liga MX Week 10 Round-Up: Toluca Keep Climbing
- New Look Whitecaps Aim to hit Ground Running Against NY Red Bulls
- Three Star Toluca Dominate in Victory Over Puebla