Dec 13, 2013, 3:27 PM EDT
A reporter at Chelsea’s prematch press conference decided he wanted to get the latest scoop on Chelsea’s interest in Wayne Rooney.
Jose Mourinho’s response was simply a chuckle.
When the reporter begun his question “Wayne Rooney is again being linked with Chelsea” Mourinho immediately began laughing, with a simple retort:
“Linked by who?”
Then the room busted open with another reporter’s sarcastic response “the papers.” Mourinho found that one hilarious.
It’s not crazy that the English tabloids are drumming up the Rooney-to-Chelsea stories again, given Mourinho’s public interest in the striker over the summer.
However, the Chelsea boss isn’t using the same public strategy this time around.
“The market opens in January, but…I don’t think we will be there, buying or selling,” said Mourinho, in a more serious tone.
It’s hard to take that seriously given his ability to work the media for his own gain, but the point is clear that Chelsea aren’t going to be huge buyers over the winter window.
“We always thought to try the best with this team and wait for the right moment to improve the squad and be strong,” he said. Blah blah blah. Tell us something we don’t know.
- Henry, Sam goals see New York break into the win column 0
- Real Madrid beat Barcelona to win Copa del Rey, as Bale’s brilliance seals it 1
- It’s official: Atlanta gets Major League Soccer’s 22nd franchise 1
- Manchester City 2-2 Sunderland: Two Wickham goals, late Nasri equalizer leave sides even (video) 3
- Everton 2-3 Crystal Palace: Toffees’ top four hopes take huge hit 6
- Ahead of Atlanta’s expected MLS entry, are NFL stadium shares the way to go? 12