Dec 14, 2013, 1:09 PM EDT
It was an enthralling and entertaining game throughout at St. James Park on Saturday, as Newcastle drew 1-1 with Southampton.
But a crazy ending to the game saw the benches clear and an almighty scuffle take place between the coaching staff and players of both teams that the officiating staff had to step in to calm down. Some extra spice was definitely in the dugouts for this game as Newcastle boss Alan Pardew was fired by Saints three years ago when they were in League One and he’s been outspoken this week about feeling ‘hard done by’ for losing his job.
Seeing this huge brawl, you could be forgiven for thinking you were watching a baseball game!
Anyway, amongst all that the incident which preceded the brawl saw poor referee Mike Jones receiving treatment for a suspected broken nose as he was accidentally hit in the face by Newcastle’s Moussa Sissoko who was pushed by Saints ‘keeper Paolo Gazzaniga.
This game had it all, so make sure you watch the video above to see the huge scuffle that broke out in second half stoppage time.
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 1
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 2
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Will Johnson: We Weren't all Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro
- Juventus Prove They Know how to Win Despite Weak Performance Against Fiore
- Liverpool is Ready to Spend $100 Million in Summer Transfers
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear