Dec 15, 2013, 9:37 PM EDT
Midweek European soccer guaranteed Sunday would be an active one on the Premier League calendar, but few could have foreseen such lopsided results out of Villa Park and White Hart Lane. Manchester United, having limped through consecutive 1-0 losses at home, were visiting an Aston Villa team that’d recently posted a win at St. Mary’s, while Liverpool, despite consecutive dissections of Norwich City and West Ham United, were stepping up in competition against Tottenham Hotspur.
Danny Welbeck, however, quickly quelled any notion United’s losing streak would hit three. With goals in the 15th and 18th minutes, the England international doubled his season goal total, Robin van Persie’s replacement leading the Red Devils to a 3-0 win in Birmingham. After being limited to one goal in 2012-13, Welbeck’s recaptured his previous year’s from, the 23-year-old having scored nine times upon his return to United in 2011-12.
In North London, the Luis Suárez show continued, with the Liverpool star racking up two goals and two assists in the Reds’ 5-0 win. Now up to 17 goals on the year, Suárez is quickly taking the drama out of the league’s Golden Boot race. In 11 games, he’s also made up any ground Aaron Ramsey forged in the Premier League player of the season chase.
With Norwich and Swansea also in action on Sunday, here are all the highlights from Sunday in the Premier League.
- Where does Andrea Pirlo joining New York City FC rank in history of MLS mega-deals? 2
- 2015 Gold Cup: USMNT player profiles – Midfielders 0
- Reflecting on Michael Bradley from 1-99, as he hits 100 USMNT caps vs. Honduras 0
- Gold Cup Today: USMNT face Honduras, Panama vs. Haiti kick things off – Day 1 2
- Transfer Rumor Roundup: Darmian to Manchester United, Clasie to Southampton 0
- Chelsea and Tottenham to battle for Wembley Stadium as temporary home 0