Dec 16, 2013, 10:53 AM EDT
The soccer world is buzzing about the “glamour tie” between Arsenal and Bayern Munich in the UEFA Champions League’s Round of 16 draw, two teams that played to high drama in last year’s edition, and the Gunners themselves are no exception.
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain has more or less said “bring it on” — what else would he say — when it comes to Arsenal’s match-up with the reigning European champions.
“We managed to get a good result away at Bayern last season so that brings back good memories. If you’re going to do well in the competition you’ve got to beat the best teams.
“Obviously the big teams create the bigger atmosphere around the stadiums. I remember before I came to Arsenal I was at the Barcelona game at the Emirates and I just remember the atmosphere there was unbelievable, so when the big teams do come into town it does create a massive buzz.”
Bayern Munich captain Phillip Lahm admitted the draw could’ve gone much, much better for his club, though he’s excited for the challenge of Arsenal.
“It’s a good omen, but they’re tough opponents, the toughest of the second-place teams. We were certainly hoping for someone different. Arsenal have made some good signings and they’re dangerous. But obviously we still want to make the quarter-finals.“
Arsenal has several high-profile German internationals who will face the German power, with Per Mertersacker, Meszut Ozil and Lukas Podolski among several in the Gunners’ outfit. Bayern goalkeeper Manuel Neuer:
“They’re not unknown to us and they’re attractive opponents. Maybe last year’s Round of 16 tie is a good omen. Obviously we’re looking forward to taking on our fellow German internationals, and we have fond memories of London.”
- PST’s MLS Player of the Week: An L.A. Galaxy guy for sure, but who? 0
- WATCH: Men In Blazers recap derby weekend, visit with Brandon McCarthy 0
- MLS salaries released, showing Kaka nets MLS-record $7.1 million 4
- Report: Chivas USA to suspend operations for at least 2 years 3
- Stoke City 1-0 Newcastle: Crouch’s header sinks Newcastle, Pardew deeper (video) 0
- Report: Minnesota United’s Miguel Ibarra to get US national team call-up 2