Dec 16, 2013, 11:45 AM EDT
“We are in the Bundesliga. Brooks needs to grow up,” reads the translated headline from Berliner Morgenpost.
It’s been a year of tumult for German-American phenom John Anthony Brooks, particularly during his time at his Bundesliga club Hertha Berlin.
The 20-year-old Brooks, who has made two appearance for the United States this year, was removed after just 32 minutes of Hertha Berlin’s 3-2 win over Werder Bremen for not approaching the game with appropriate energy (and also, surely, for making critical errors on both Bremen goals).
It was the second time he’s been pulled early this season and his manager Jos Luhukay was not shy in his criticism, comparing him to partner in center defense, Swiss back Fabian Lustenberger:
“I don’t think he challenged one duel while he was in, Lustenberger had 15-20 – that’s not gonna work,” Luhukay said. “People are going to grow from such moments. In the Bundesliga, it’s a harsh reality. John started yet another match without enough motivation. He’s not active enough, so I have to react. He needs to shake off this youthfulness and become an adult.
“If he has character, he’ll learn. This was not the first time. He needs to learn it himself – it can only come from him. Otherwise, this won’t be the last time I pull him early.”
Brooks was also pulled after 23 minutes of an August match. Even taking into account his youth, the attitude issues will be troubling for Jurgen Klinsmann as he prepares the U.S. through 2014 and beyond.
- Battling Arsenal bow out, as Bayern Munich reach UEFA Champions League quarters after 1-1 draw (3-1, agg.) 0
- Two from Diego Costa help Atlético Madrid cruise past Milan in Champions League, 4-1 (5-1, agg.) 0
- ProSoccerTalk’s MLS Team of the Week – Week 1 0
- ProSoccerTalk’s MLS Player of the Week: Will Bruin 0
- Alan Pardew handed hefty ban, fined for headbutt 2
- Preview: Atlético Madrid back on track before Champions League visit from goal-shy Milan 0
- Sporting KC's Television Network Expands
- American Investment Firm Buying Up Man United Stock
- Earthquakes vs. Toluca: CONCACAF Champions League
- San Jose Earthquakes Acquire Benfica Midfielder Yannick Djalo
- Revs Waive DelPiccolo; Roster Stands at 27
- Inter President Denies Holding Talks with Chicharito
- Nearly Perfect Start for Galaxy, Result Aside
- USWNT Lose to Denmark 5-3 in Algarve Cup
- Real Salt Lake's Nick Rimando Named MLS Player of the Week
- Will Johnson Signs New Multi-Year Contract With Portland Timbers