Dec 16, 2013, 10:21 AM EDT
Notre Dame completed a brilliant season with a 2-1 win over Maryland in the 2014 College Cup on Sunday afternoon in Philadelphia.
The match had its fair share of controversy, as a clear but uncalled handball against the Irish could’ve had them playing with 10 men for the majority of the match. Maryland star and potential No. 1 MLS Superdraft pick Patrick Mullins scored on the handball’s rebound for the Terrapins only goal.
Leon Brown scored in the 40th minute and Andrew O’Malley finished the comeback in the 60th minute to give Notre Dame the lead they’d protect for the final half-hour.
Brown’s goal came off a headed pass from Nick Besler, who joins his brother, Sporting KC defender and fellow ND alum Matt Besler, in lifting top team honors in 2013.
Notre Dame’s only hiccup in a 10-game run to end the season was a PK loss to Virginia in the ACC tournament, as they beat Wisconsin, Wake Forest, Michigan State and New Mexico in the lead-up to the final.
Maryland keeper Zack Steffen, a Philadelphia Union homegrown player, was named Most Outstanding Defensive Player of College Cup, while Chicago Fire homegrown product Harrison Shipp of Notre Dame was named Most Outstanding Offensive Player.
- In MLS, West is best… at least for a weekend 0
- Netherlands and Roma on alert after Kevin Strootman carted off against Napoli 0
- Quick Six: Chelsea’s second halves, Fulham helps Cardiff, and the rest of the headlines from this weekend’s Premier League action 0
- Americans Abroad Review: Boyd and Johannsson shine again 1
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Will Johnson: We Weren't all Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro
- Juventus Prove They Know how to Win Despite Weak Performance Against Fiore
- Liverpool is Ready to Spend $100 Million in Summer Transfers
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear