Dec 16, 2013, 7:19 AM EDT
Arsenal will play champions Bayern Munich in the knockout round for the second straight year when the UEFA Champions League’s Round of 16 kicks off in February.
Elsewhere, Manchester City will be further ruing their lack of mathematical analysis in the Group Stage, as their second-place finish gave them a seeded team and a beauty at that: Barcelona.
Full pairings are here:
The first legs will take place February 18/19 and 25/26, with the seeded team on the road to begin the round. The second legs will come March 11/12 and 18/19.
Aside from Arsenal and Bayern Munich, only Chelsea/Galatasaray and Olympiacos/Manchester United feature familiarity, as the other five of the 16 ties are between teams who’ve never faced each other in UEFA competition, according to UEFA.com.
- Bayern Munich and Arsenal‘s tie in 2012/13 was a thriller, though it didn’t begin that way. Bayern cleaned out the Gunners 3-1 to open the tie before Arsenal came within a goal of shocking the eventual champions with a 2-0 win in the second leg. Might Meszut Ozil make the difference this time around?
- Remember me? Didier Drogba will face the club where he lifted the Champions League hardware in 2012 when Galatasaray face Chelsea. The highest-scoring non-Englishman in Chelsea history, Drogba was an outspoken supporter of Jose Mourinho and threatened to leave the club when The Special One left Stamford Bridge. Both are back now, on different sides.
- Winning draws: Both PSG and Dortmund will be thanking their lucky stars, as the French giants will face a Leverkusen time that was handled by Manchester United in the Group Stage, while Dortmund will play a Zenit club that advanced to the round with the lowest Group Stage points (6) of any team to advance in Champions League history.
What they said:
Milan director Umberto Gandini on drawing Atlético Madrid: “Atlético a very strong side who play great football under (Diego) Simeone. They are very strong in attack but it could be even worse for us considering the sides we could have picked.”
Hans-Joachim Watzke, Borussia Dortmund sporting director: “I can live with this draw, but Zenit do have a host of quality players such as Hulk and others. It’s not the shortest trip for us, but we will manage. It’s a good omen for us to play in St Petersburg. We had a long journey last year in the first knockout round when we played Shakhtar Donetsk. It was cold there as well and we prevailed.”
Sep 16, 2014, 5:27 PM EDT
Arsenal’s captain notes the danger of falling behind at BVB, while Klopp calls his teams performance “nearly perfection.”
Sep 16, 2014, 5:13 PM EDT
Contrasting fortunes for PL sides, as eight games kick off the new UCL season. Find out what happened, right here.
Sep 16, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
A dominant performance from the 2012-13 finalists made easy work of the visiting Gunners.
Sep 16, 2014, 4:44 PM EDT
Dramatic finale at Anfield as Liverpool leave it late to beat Bulgarian minnows.
Sep 16, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT
Okay, so it’s 66.5 goals but you know the rules of rounding and Diego Costa is your proverbial example of being on fire.
Sep 16, 2014, 3:40 PM EDT
Real fly out of the traps, while Arsenal are caught on their heels. Updates on all eight games, right here.
Sep 16, 2014, 3:08 PM EDT
Remember that time Jose Mourinho told Frank Lampard he was the best player in the world … in the shower? No? Oh, right. That’s because you have to watch this.
Sep 16, 2014, 2:40 PM EDT
Kaka was obvious, but who else is making the move from USL PRO to Major League Soccer next season?
Sep 16, 2014, 1:55 PM EDT
The fairly-even history between Philadelphia and Seattle meets at a momentous crossroads tonight at PPL Park in Chester.
Sep 16, 2014, 1:29 PM EDT
Manchester United, Aston Villa leap up the list after impressive wins on the weekend.
Sep 16, 2014, 12:56 PM EDT
The jacked-up keeper was released by Hoffenheim last season as his body became too muscular to stand between the sticks (at least according to the club).
Sep 16, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT
In a very odd twist, he’s going to stay on as assistant manager to Alex Pastoor, a former assistant.
Sep 16, 2014, 11:20 AM EDT
Know the name Hector Bellerin? Odds are you will after today’s match-up between Borussia Dortmund and Arsenal.
Sep 16, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
With all the post-match fish-and-chips testing done around the Premier League, they couldn’t just, you know, eat fish and chips and get away with it.
Sep 16, 2014, 9:36 AM EDT
Who picked Manchester City to win its tough group, and who said they’d fail to survive their opposition?
Sep 16, 2014, 8:48 AM EDT
How was this caper achieved? Was a security guard in on the act? Was an identical water bottle substituted?
Sep 16, 2014, 7:22 AM EDT
Villa will take on Arsenal without Christian Benteke this weekend, but the forward could be back by the end of the month.
Sep 15, 2014, 11:48 PM EDT
It was a week so fertile for goals that one of the world’s biggest names couldn’t dent the strike force of the PL team of the week.
Sep 15, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
No one’s doing it quite like this man right now, who again takes hold of player of the week honors in the Premier League.
Sep 15, 2014, 10:37 PM EDT
There are five goals here, but it only took four matches to comprise the list.
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Liverpool win late; Real Madrid, Dortmund victorious 0
- Borussia Dortmund 2-0 Arsenal: Gunners outclassed by BVB 0
- Liverpool 2-1 Ludogorets: Gerrard grabs last-gasp winner after scare 0
- Premier League player of month on pace for 67 goals (video) 0
- Open Cup final preview: Is a championship coming to Philly tonight? 0
- Arsenal’s defending depth fears could be on display against Dortmund 4