Dec 16, 2013, 7:19 AM EDT
Arsenal will play champions Bayern Munich in the knockout round for the second straight year when the UEFA Champions League’s Round of 16 kicks off in February.
Elsewhere, Manchester City will be further ruing their lack of mathematical analysis in the Group Stage, as their second-place finish gave them a seeded team and a beauty at that: Barcelona.
Full pairings are here:
The first legs will take place February 18/19 and 25/26, with the seeded team on the road to begin the round. The second legs will come March 11/12 and 18/19.
Aside from Arsenal and Bayern Munich, only Chelsea/Galatasaray and Olympiacos/Manchester United feature familiarity, as the other five of the 16 ties are between teams who’ve never faced each other in UEFA competition, according to UEFA.com.
- Bayern Munich and Arsenal‘s tie in 2012/13 was a thriller, though it didn’t begin that way. Bayern cleaned out the Gunners 3-1 to open the tie before Arsenal came within a goal of shocking the eventual champions with a 2-0 win in the second leg. Might Meszut Ozil make the difference this time around?
- Remember me? Didier Drogba will face the club where he lifted the Champions League hardware in 2012 when Galatasaray face Chelsea. The highest-scoring non-Englishman in Chelsea history, Drogba was an outspoken supporter of Jose Mourinho and threatened to leave the club when The Special One left Stamford Bridge. Both are back now, on different sides.
- Winning draws: Both PSG and Dortmund will be thanking their lucky stars, as the French giants will face a Leverkusen time that was handled by Manchester United in the Group Stage, while Dortmund will play a Zenit club that advanced to the round with the lowest Group Stage points (6) of any team to advance in Champions League history.
What they said:
Milan director Umberto Gandini on drawing Atlético Madrid: “Atlético a very strong side who play great football under (Diego) Simeone. They are very strong in attack but it could be even worse for us considering the sides we could have picked.”
Hans-Joachim Watzke, Borussia Dortmund sporting director: “I can live with this draw, but Zenit do have a host of quality players such as Hulk and others. It’s not the shortest trip for us, but we will manage. It’s a good omen for us to play in St Petersburg. We had a long journey last year in the first knockout round when we played Shakhtar Donetsk. It was cold there as well and we prevailed.”
Jul 28, 2014, 8:22 PM EDT
Colombian international expected to play Saturday against Valencia.
Jul 28, 2014, 7:37 PM EDT
Time in the NASL will give the 24-year-old needed minutes.
Jul 28, 2014, 6:48 PM EDT
Brazilian’s injury testing United’s depth on the right side.
Jul 28, 2014, 5:54 PM EDT
U.S. international’s knee surgery will sideline him for “several weeks.”
Jul 28, 2014, 4:57 PM EDT
Two Saints look to follow their former manager to North London.
Jul 28, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT
Timber’s game-winning goal in Montréal separated him from a tight field.
Jul 28, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT
After two on-pitch selfie occur with players over the weekend, security needs to be stepped up.
Jul 28, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
Could Neymar represent Brazil at the 2016 Olympics in Rio?
Jul 28, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
Besic, 21, has signed a five-year deal with the Toffees.
Jul 28, 2014, 1:43 PM EDT
Bale smashes in an absolute beauty from distance. Check it out, here.
Jul 28, 2014, 12:58 PM EDT
After selling over $170 million of talent so far this summer, what are Saints playing at?
Jul 28, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT
Boyd out after injury in Queens Park Rangers friendly.
Jul 28, 2014, 11:25 AM EDT
He may be one of the best soccer players the planet has ever seen, but Messi is not above the law.
Jul 28, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
Arsenal splash the cash to sign 19-year-old Southampton academy graduate.
Jul 28, 2014, 10:25 AM EDT
Did Remy fail a medical at Liverpool? ‘Arry isn’t buying it.
Jul 28, 2014, 9:20 AM EDT
Clegg, Downing Street, discuss Russia hosting the 2018 World Cup.
Jul 28, 2014, 8:44 AM EDT
If you use the hashtag #AskJesus, expect to get results like this.
Jul 28, 2014, 8:04 AM EDT
Atletico add Griezmann to partner Mandzukic in new-look attack.
Jul 28, 2014, 7:38 AM EDT
Arsenal may be taking a “gamble” but it certainly paid off the last two times they bought teenagers from Southampton.
Jul 27, 2014, 11:08 PM EDT
Liverpool looks focused on improving its shape heading into the upcoming Premier League season.
- Radamel Falcao on track to return at weekend’s Emirates Cup 0
- PST’s Major League Soccer Player of the Week: Portland’s Diego Valeri 0
- The great Southampton exodus continues. Why is this happening? 6
- Arsenal confirm $27 million signing of Calum Chambers 1
- Manchester City host #AskJesus (Navas) Twitter chat, hilarious comments ensue 1
- VIDEO: Mario Balotelli takes amazing selfie with two pitch invaders 1