Dec 16, 2013, 7:19 AM EDT
Arsenal will play champions Bayern Munich in the knockout round for the second straight year when the UEFA Champions League’s Round of 16 kicks off in February.
Elsewhere, Manchester City will be further ruing their lack of mathematical analysis in the Group Stage, as their second-place finish gave them a seeded team and a beauty at that: Barcelona.
Full pairings are here:
The first legs will take place February 18/19 and 25/26, with the seeded team on the road to begin the round. The second legs will come March 11/12 and 18/19.
Aside from Arsenal and Bayern Munich, only Chelsea/Galatasaray and Olympiacos/Manchester United feature familiarity, as the other five of the 16 ties are between teams who’ve never faced each other in UEFA competition, according to UEFA.com.
- Bayern Munich and Arsenal‘s tie in 2012/13 was a thriller, though it didn’t begin that way. Bayern cleaned out the Gunners 3-1 to open the tie before Arsenal came within a goal of shocking the eventual champions with a 2-0 win in the second leg. Might Meszut Ozil make the difference this time around?
- Remember me? Didier Drogba will face the club where he lifted the Champions League hardware in 2012 when Galatasaray face Chelsea. The highest-scoring non-Englishman in Chelsea history, Drogba was an outspoken supporter of Jose Mourinho and threatened to leave the club when The Special One left Stamford Bridge. Both are back now, on different sides.
- Winning draws: Both PSG and Dortmund will be thanking their lucky stars, as the French giants will face a Leverkusen time that was handled by Manchester United in the Group Stage, while Dortmund will play a Zenit club that advanced to the round with the lowest Group Stage points (6) of any team to advance in Champions League history.
What they said:
Milan director Umberto Gandini on drawing Atlético Madrid: “Atlético a very strong side who play great football under (Diego) Simeone. They are very strong in attack but it could be even worse for us considering the sides we could have picked.”
Hans-Joachim Watzke, Borussia Dortmund sporting director: “I can live with this draw, but Zenit do have a host of quality players such as Hulk and others. It’s not the shortest trip for us, but we will manage. It’s a good omen for us to play in St Petersburg. We had a long journey last year in the first knockout round when we played Shakhtar Donetsk. It was cold there as well and we prevailed.”
Oct 24, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
The midfielder is yet to make a Premier League start this season as rumors surfaced that he could return to Brazil on loan.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:33 PM EDT
Chicago ended their season with a win as Florent Sinama-Pongolle tallied in stoppage time to erase Houston’s first half lead.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:22 PM EDT
You can watch the match live on NBCSN or online via Live Extra.
Oct 24, 2014, 8:51 PM EDT
Neil Warnock could be answering to a new boss if American billionaire Josh Harris purchases Palace.
Oct 24, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
Jose Carlos Rivero was charged with two felonies earlier this month but continued to work games for the MLS.
Oct 24, 2014, 7:27 PM EDT
The New York Red Bulls made a young girl’s dream come true as she signed a one-day contract with her favorite team.
Oct 24, 2014, 6:20 PM EDT
Watch the Black Cats host the Gunners at 9:45 a.m. ET online via Live Extra.
Oct 24, 2014, 5:31 PM EDT
UEFA handed Serbia a 3-0 win but deducted points after their match against Albania was called off due to violence.
Oct 24, 2014, 4:43 PM EDT
The former England captain and Manchester United legend plans to retire after his season at QPR.
Oct 24, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
Watch as Leicester City travels to Liberty Stadium tomorrow live on NBC at 12:30 p.m. ET.
Oct 24, 2014, 3:04 PM EDT
Pogba broke through with 9 goals and 10 assists across all competitions for Juventus last season and a goal and assist at the World Cup.
A coach tells a fan tells a ticket rep… How soccer fans and the Red Bulls created this adorable goal video
Oct 24, 2014, 2:26 PM EDT
It’s a little dusty in here. Godspeed, Irelyn. May a cure be found in short order!
Oct 24, 2014, 2:01 PM EDT
It’s going to be ugly and we’re going to shake our heads. Some will feign shock. And the whole cycle will repeat itself again at Barcelona.
Oct 24, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
Here’s how PST’s editor and lead writer sees things panning out this weekend.
Oct 24, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Perhaps a respite for Tim Howard and Brad Guzan, as their clubs face lesser competition this week in Burnley and QPR, respectively.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:25 PM EDT
Where and how to watch every game during Week 9 of the PL.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:05 PM EDT
It’s a top-four battle — no, seriously — as Manchester City rolls into Upton Park to take on Sam Allardyce’s West Ham United.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
Who makes the cut as MLS players deserving of a look at USMNT camp?
Oct 24, 2014, 10:25 AM EDT
An all-MLS final appearance is impossible thanks to seeding, and Montreal and DC can only face-off if they win in the quarterfinals this winter.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:38 AM EDT
The purpose of the show is for the Robbies to hear from the fans on this call-in show, so dial 855-323-4622 and have your say.
- Chicago Fire 2-1 Houston Dynamo: Stoppage-time winner caps off Chicago comeback (VIDEO) 0
- Premier League Preview: Sunderland vs. Arsenal 0
- Still defending racial incident, seething at bite talk, Suarez returns for Barcelona 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks – Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool 0
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 9 1
- Introducing: “The 2 Robbies ‘Football’ Show” on NBCSportsRadio.com 0