Dec 16, 2013, 7:19 AM EDT
Arsenal will play champions Bayern Munich in the knockout round for the second straight year when the UEFA Champions League’s Round of 16 kicks off in February.
Elsewhere, Manchester City will be further ruing their lack of mathematical analysis in the Group Stage, as their second-place finish gave them a seeded team and a beauty at that: Barcelona.
Full pairings are here:
The first legs will take place February 18/19 and 25/26, with the seeded team on the road to begin the round. The second legs will come March 11/12 and 18/19.
Aside from Arsenal and Bayern Munich, only Chelsea/Galatasaray and Olympiacos/Manchester United feature familiarity, as the other five of the 16 ties are between teams who’ve never faced each other in UEFA competition, according to UEFA.com.
– Bayern Munich and Arsenal‘s tie in 2012/13 was a thriller, though it didn’t begin that way. Bayern cleaned out the Gunners 3-1 to open the tie before Arsenal came within a goal of shocking the eventual champions with a 2-0 win in the second leg. Might Meszut Ozil make the difference this time around?
– Remember me? Didier Drogba will face the club where he lifted the Champions League hardware in 2012 when Galatasaray face Chelsea. The highest-scoring non-Englishman in Chelsea history, Drogba was an outspoken supporter of Jose Mourinho and threatened to leave the club when The Special One left Stamford Bridge. Both are back now, on different sides.
– Winning draws: Both PSG and Dortmund will be thanking their lucky stars, as the French giants will face a Leverkusen time that was handled by Manchester United in the Group Stage, while Dortmund will play a Zenit club that advanced to the round with the lowest Group Stage points (6) of any team to advance in Champions League history.
What they said:
Milan director Umberto Gandini on drawing Atlético Madrid: “Atlético a very strong side who play great football under (Diego) Simeone. They are very strong in attack but it could be even worse for us considering the sides we could have picked.”
Hans-Joachim Watzke, Borussia Dortmund sporting director: “I can live with this draw, but Zenit do have a host of quality players such as Hulk and others. It’s not the shortest trip for us, but we will manage. It’s a good omen for us to play in St Petersburg. We had a long journey last year in the first knockout round when we played Shakhtar Donetsk. It was cold there as well and we prevailed.”
Jul 3, 2015, 12:53 PM EDT
Analyzing where the final in Santiago on Saturday will be won and lost.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT
Another day, another healthy dollop of gossip from around the Premier League.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
Get ready for some PL action under the lights on a Friday night. Well, one game on a Friday, at least.
Slaven Bilic called “The Special One,” accused of disrespect after West Ham’s Europa League qualifier
Jul 3, 2015, 10:05 AM EDT
Hammers boss is, well, hammered, for not standing in the dugout in a Europa League qualifier.
Jul 3, 2015, 9:10 AM EDT
“El Tigre” has landed with the reigning Premier League champs. Good business from Mourinho?
Jul 3, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
The second half of the MLS season kicks off Friday night. We’ve got four must-watch games for all to see.
Jul 3, 2015, 8:40 AM EDT
Fans of the Citizens and Les Parisiens get ready for a summer of big spending…
Jul 3, 2015, 7:45 AM EDT
Biden’s love for soccer continues to grow, as a presidential delegation is heading to Vancouver.
Jul 2, 2015, 11:47 PM EDT
“Come for the game, stay for the fireworks show afterwards!”
Jul 2, 2015, 11:03 PM EDT
The end is nigh for Freddy Adu’s professional soccer career, isn’t it? This has to be as low as it goes.
Jul 2, 2015, 10:05 PM EDT
One last chance for Jurgen Klinsmann to tinker and fine-tune before the USMNT defends its Gold Cup title.
Jul 2, 2015, 8:53 PM EDT
Japan head coach Norio Sasaki: “I do not feel badly for Laura Bassett.”
2015 Gold Cup — Group C preview: Hobbled Mexico still favorites over Guatemala, Trinidad and Tobago, Cuba
Jul 2, 2015, 7:08 PM EDT
Mexico may have lost two Gold Cup starters in the last week, but they’re still heavy favorites in Group C.
USWNT’s Lloyd, Johnston, Rapinoe shorlisted for Women’s World Cup Golden Ball; Solo for Golden Glove
Jul 2, 2015, 4:45 PM EDT
Four USWNT players have been shortlisted for the Golden Ball and Golden Glove awards.
Jul 2, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT
Here’s a look at who Los Ticos will have to get by in the group stages. Can Canada and Jamaica make a deep run?
Jul 2, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Pep is more than happy to keep Schweinsteiger around at the Allianz next season, but he’s becoming a little restless.
Jul 2, 2015, 2:25 PM EDT
Can Klinsmann’s side breeze through group play at the Gold Cup?
Jul 2, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
The latest gossip is right here, with updates on two monster transfers.
Jul 2, 2015, 1:04 PM EDT
England’s head coach was full of pride and admiration for his team despite falling at the semifinal hurdle.
Jul 2, 2015, 11:57 AM EDT
Kilnsmann reveals he has decided to take the armband off Clint and hand it to Bradley.
- Chile vs. Argentina – Three key battles that will decide the Copa America final 0
- Chelsea confirm season-long loan deal for Radamel Falcao 2
- MLS preview: Timbers vs. Earthquakes, Galaxy vs. Toronto FC headline Week 18 0
- US Vice President Joe Biden to attend USWNT’s World Cup final vs. Japan 1
- USA vs. Guatemala preview: USMNT’s final tune-up before 2015 Gold Cup 0
- 2015 Gold Cup – Group A preview: USMNT favorites over Honduras, Panama, Haiti 0