Dec 16, 2013, 7:19 AM EST
Arsenal will play champions Bayern Munich in the knockout round for the second straight year when the UEFA Champions League’s Round of 16 kicks off in February.
Elsewhere, Manchester City will be further ruing their lack of mathematical analysis in the Group Stage, as their second-place finish gave them a seeded team and a beauty at that: Barcelona.
Full pairings are here:
The first legs will take place February 18/19 and 25/26, with the seeded team on the road to begin the round. The second legs will come March 11/12 and 18/19.
Aside from Arsenal and Bayern Munich, only Chelsea/Galatasaray and Olympiacos/Manchester United feature familiarity, as the other five of the 16 ties are between teams who’ve never faced each other in UEFA competition, according to UEFA.com.
- Bayern Munich and Arsenal‘s tie in 2012/13 was a thriller, though it didn’t begin that way. Bayern cleaned out the Gunners 3-1 to open the tie before Arsenal came within a goal of shocking the eventual champions with a 2-0 win in the second leg. Might Meszut Ozil make the difference this time around?
- Remember me? Didier Drogba will face the club where he lifted the Champions League hardware in 2012 when Galatasaray face Chelsea. The highest-scoring non-Englishman in Chelsea history, Drogba was an outspoken supporter of Jose Mourinho and threatened to leave the club when The Special One left Stamford Bridge. Both are back now, on different sides.
- Winning draws: Both PSG and Dortmund will be thanking their lucky stars, as the French giants will face a Leverkusen time that was handled by Manchester United in the Group Stage, while Dortmund will play a Zenit club that advanced to the round with the lowest Group Stage points (6) of any team to advance in Champions League history.
What they said:
Milan director Umberto Gandini on drawing Atlético Madrid: “Atlético a very strong side who play great football under (Diego) Simeone. They are very strong in attack but it could be even worse for us considering the sides we could have picked.”
Hans-Joachim Watzke, Borussia Dortmund sporting director: “I can live with this draw, but Zenit do have a host of quality players such as Hulk and others. It’s not the shortest trip for us, but we will manage. It’s a good omen for us to play in St Petersburg. We had a long journey last year in the first knockout round when we played Shakhtar Donetsk. It was cold there as well and we prevailed.”
New England Revolution, 90 minutes from MLS Cup, must simply avoid second-leg disaster vs. Red Bulls
Nov 27, 2014, 11:15 PM EST
It’s been a long time since the New England Revolution lost by mulitple goals, which the New York Red Bulls must achieve to reach MLS Cup 2014.
Nov 27, 2014, 9:26 PM EST
The big Europa League sides have begun to advance to the knockout round, with a few more very close to joining them.
Nov 27, 2014, 4:09 PM EST
Toffees seal spot in Europa League knockout rounds after terrific away day display.
Nov 27, 2014, 3:17 PM EST
Three FIFA ExCo members and German legend latest to be under the spotlight.
Nov 27, 2014, 2:05 PM EST
Brazilian legend hospitalized for second time this month.
Nov 27, 2014, 1:15 PM EST
Whelan charged by FA over accusations of anti-Semitic, racist remarks.
Nov 27, 2014, 12:00 PM EST
Spanish giants drop Christian symbol as they link up with Abu Dhabi based bank.
Nov 27, 2014, 10:55 AM EST
Can Spurs and Everton make a top four charge? Will Saints stun Man City?
Nov 27, 2014, 10:00 AM EST
Watch the incident unfold, as Brazilian striker is behind bars.
Nov 27, 2014, 9:13 AM EST
Wilshere has surgery on left ankle, as young midfielder set for another lengthy spell on the sidelines.
Nov 27, 2014, 8:51 AM EST
Bradley opens up about his first season at Stabaek, his future in Europe and much more.
Nov 27, 2014, 7:28 AM EST
Klinsmann’s men drop further in FIFA’s latest rankings.
Nov 26, 2014, 11:15 PM EST
Is the FA getting too involved in non-events?
Nov 26, 2014, 10:30 PM EST
Wenger was in good spirits following his side’s victory that put an end to his two-match losing skid.
Nov 26, 2014, 9:50 PM EST
Yes, Barkley dove and yes, (news flash) Martinez is overly protective of his players.
Nov 26, 2014, 9:10 PM EST
Thigh injury sidelines Moses for 8 weeks.
Nov 26, 2014, 8:32 PM EST
“I feel that right now I am playing some of the best football of my career,” Fabregas said.
Nov 26, 2014, 7:38 PM EST
“It goes without saying, I’d love to come,” Heskey told BBC Radio Leicester.
Nov 26, 2014, 6:44 PM EST
Poor Franck. All fired up and not even on the 23-man shortlist.
Nov 26, 2014, 6:00 PM EST
Can Liverpool build off this draw in Sofia? Their manager Brendan Rodgers has cause for optimism.
- VIDEO: PST Extra examines huge top four showdowns in Premier League 0
- Huge blow for Arsenal as Jack Wilshere is out for three months 0
- Bob Bradley talks Stabaek, job offers, offseason plans and more 0
- USA drop five places in latest FIFA world rankings; England on the up 1
- Despite their struggles, Liverpool’s season intact as spirit shines through 4
- Champions League roundup: Arsenal, Atletico Madrid through, tense elsewhere 3