ESPN writer says Curt Onalfo no longer a Chivas USA candidate

Dec 17, 2013, 9:10 PM EDT

Onalfo

ESPN’s Jeff Carlisle reported today (via Twitter) that LA Galaxy assistant Curt Onalfo has removed himself from consideration for the vacant Chivas USA post.

One word: smart.

The Goats job is a meat grinder; one of the best coaches in American soccer, Bob Bradley, could do no better than a playoff appearance with Chivas USA, an organization still looking for its first post-season advancement.

Most haven’t been able to do that much.

Onalfo had a failed coaching run at Sporting Kansas City and then had one cut too short at D.C. United (where upper management, certain that the talent they selected could not be the issue, gave him just more than half a season). So, if Onalfo gets another shot at MLS coaching, he absolutely has to get it right.

But there is so very little “right” about Chivas USA. (This is where I always add the apology to the good, sweet, clean Chivas USA supporters; hang tough, guys.)

Before Caleb Porter was official the “next big thing,” he was the emerging “next big thing” while building the Akron legacy. Porter interviewed for the D.C. United position in December of 2009 – but then withdrew his name from consideration.

I wrote at the time what a smart move that was, that Porter would get his chance, and he could do so without getting into the organizational mess at D.C. United. I wrote about how smart that was.

Two weeks later, United hired Onalfo. And we know how that worked out.

1. hildezero - Dec 17, 2013 at 10:56 PM

“…that LA Galaxy assistant Curt Onalfo has removed himself from consideration for the vacant Chivas USA post.

One word: smart.”
    XD Great beginning… Lol

2. brittkamp - Dec 18, 2013 at 1:58 AM

I do not understand why people refer Onalfo’s time in KC as a failure! He got them to the playoffs twice and once even to a Conference final. Until this year, I always thought people who worshipped Vermes were idiots because Vermes never did any better than Onalfo and remember Onalfo had no budget, and no Sporting Park to attract players. DC job was a no win for him, he was hired at the last minute and let go to let Olsen take the job.

3. lavatomy - Dec 18, 2013 at 9:31 AM

I always like Onalfo and these years working under Arena should have helped, specially with managing big egos. Dallas should pounce and try to sign him.

4. crossmlk - Dec 18, 2013 at 11:19 AM

brittkamp, I agree with much of what you’re saying but I think you’ve got a little bit of the context wrong.

Onalfo started out very well in KC but he ran out of answers and had lost the club in 2009 when he was replaced. Onalfo was 27-29-22 during his time with KC which I don’t think qualifies as Peter Vermesesque. Peter is 62-45-37 during his time with SKC.

The other thing I think you’ve gotten wrong is the budget point. SKC may be a small market club but that doesn’t mean they’re poor or unwilling to spend money. There are 8 billionaires in MLS ownership positions as of the latest Forbes report on the league and SKC has one of them in it’s ownership group and is very close on a second. They are also very willing to spend money on the team. During the Community America ballpark days they brought in Claudio Lopez as a DP spending money they had no hope of recouping. Although Sporting Park was publicly funded they also made significant investments themselves in the stadium.

What I very much agree with you on is that Curt Onalfo should at some point be a great coach in MLS. He’s been around it a long time knows the inner workings and has had the advantage of working with some great coaches during his time in the league.

5. brittkamp - Dec 18, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Thank You crossmlk!

I sort of knew that I was lacking the total grasp of facts when I posted last night! I was hoping someone would help me.

PST Extra: Can United beat Chelsea?