Dec 17, 2013, 5:12 PM EDT
Let’s hope Sporting KC president, CEO and co-owner Robb Heineman enjoyed his (well deserved) time on Sports Business Journal’s prestigious Forty Under 40 list. Because them days are officially over.
Happy 40th birthday to Heineman, who celebrated the big one Tuesday with this Tweet: “Thanks 4 all the birthday wishes….u know what they say, “40 and an MLS champion is the new 35″. They say that, right?”
Sure. Let’s go with that.
To soften the blow of rounding the corner on 40 (or, as I like to say, “half-80”), we offer this: Heineman is among the youngest Major League Soccer’s executives to raise the MLS Cup. He’s not the youngest, but one of them.
A couple of prominent, 30-something suited achievers in MLS: Clark Hunt, as an emerging element of Hunt Sports Group, was still in his 30s when Kansas City claimed its first MLS Cup title back in 2000.
Garth Lagerwey was just 36 when he (as Real Salt Lake GM) helped the young club claim MLS Cup in 2009.
(And for you super-smarties out there: Oscar de la Hoya purchased his minority share of the Houston Dynamo in 2008, which was after Dominic Kinnear at Co. won the second of those two MLS Cups through the middle part of the decade. So, he’s not in the club.)
Either way, that’s good company. Happy birthday, sir!
- Report: Aston Villa ownership will change hands if club stays up 0
- Tim Howard inks Everton extension, signs through 2017-18 season 1
- Premier League Power Rankings: Liverpool or Chelsea for the title? – Week 34 0
- Neymar, Jordi Alba to miss the rest of Barcelona’s season 1
- Manchester: A city not united, as Blue and Red converge 2
- PST Extra: Race for the Premier League title 0