Dec 17, 2013, 5:12 PM EDT
Let’s hope Sporting KC president, CEO and co-owner Robb Heineman enjoyed his (well deserved) time on Sports Business Journal’s prestigious Forty Under 40 list. Because them days are officially over.
Happy 40th birthday to Heineman, who celebrated the big one Tuesday with this Tweet: “Thanks 4 all the birthday wishes….u know what they say, “40 and an MLS champion is the new 35″. They say that, right?”
Sure. Let’s go with that.
To soften the blow of rounding the corner on 40 (or, as I like to say, “half-80”), we offer this: Heineman is among the youngest Major League Soccer’s executives to raise the MLS Cup. He’s not the youngest, but one of them.
A couple of prominent, 30-something suited achievers in MLS: Clark Hunt, as an emerging element of Hunt Sports Group, was still in his 30s when Kansas City claimed its first MLS Cup title back in 2000.
Garth Lagerwey was just 36 when he (as Real Salt Lake GM) helped the young club claim MLS Cup in 2009.
(And for you super-smarties out there: Oscar de la Hoya purchased his minority share of the Houston Dynamo in 2008, which was after Dominic Kinnear at Co. won the second of those two MLS Cups through the middle part of the decade. So, he’s not in the club.)
Either way, that’s good company. Happy birthday, sir!
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 0
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 2
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Will Johnson: We Weren't all Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro
- Juventus Prove They Know how to Win Despite Weak Performance Against Fiore
- Liverpool is Ready to Spend $100 Million in Summer Transfers
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear