Mike Tyson has never heard of Manchester City

Dec 17, 2013, 10:38 AM EDT

When Mike Tyson talks soccer, the world listens.

And while appearing on The Clare Balding Show this week, Iron Mike took a seemingly inadvertently swipe at Manchester City claiming:

“I’ve been in Manchester for long periods of time and I’ve never heard of Manchester City. . . . This is my first time ever hearing of Manchester City.”

It’s a comment that will make United fans smile and City supporters cringe, even if it was said in an innocent and light-hearted manner.

Fellow boxer Ricky Hatton came to Tyson’s defense, admitting that Tyson has “only just come good” before noting that he’s always received great support from both United and City fans.

Hatton then went on to make an even more outlandish statement than Tyson, noting that “in many ways I would like to think that I brought Manchester football fans together, to be honest with you.”

Ok Ricky, let’s not get carried away, son.

All in good fun.

1. charliej11 - Dec 17, 2013 at 10:58 AM

The level obsession by a niche group of people over English soccer will never cease to amaze me.

Why does Mike Tyson need to be defended when he doesn’t know who Man City is ? Hint: he doesn’t.

Why would he care who Man City is ? Even if he likes watching soccer…most Americans don’t you know ?…he lives in the US, I would assume, so why would he watch a team from Manchester ?

I bet if I went around my office and asked what the other team is in Manchester, zero people in my 30 person office could name them. One, if I answer.

Guess what I probably couldn’t name half of the teams in the Premier league and I have been obsessed with soccer for 40 years.

HATTON PLEASE DEFEND ME !!!!!

2. charliej11 - Dec 17, 2013 at 11:02 AM

The obsession by the niche group of people watching English soccer never stops amazing me.

Why would Tyson need defending when he doesn’t know who Man City is ? Hint: he doesn’t.

Even if he was a soccer fan…..most in the US aren’t, you know ?…..why would he know or care who Man City is ? He lives in the US I am guessing. So he is going to watch a team in England ?
    It is a niche sport in the US. Foreign soccer even more so.

I live in Seattle, I bet I ask around this office and of the 30 people, zero know the other team in Manchester.

I probably can’t name 1/2 of the teams in the English premier league…and I have been obsessed with soccer for 40 years. HATTON, PLEASE DEFEND ME !!!!

• pauleee - Dec 17, 2013 at 12:16 PM

“Obsessed” with soccer for 40 years, but can’t name half of the BPL teams? Do you follow any of the European leagues or just the US variety? Seems a very narrow obsession.

3. djp141 - Dec 17, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Two or three years ago, I could’ve named twice as many Bundesliga teams as BPL teams. Thanks, Toby Charles!

4. vtcrusade - Dec 17, 2013 at 4:05 PM

There is only one team name you need to remember and say with awe and reverence no matter where you live on the planet and that is “Arsenal” ;-)

American by birth, Gunner by choice!

(oh and never been to the UK in my life, but can name all the teams in the EPL, and even some in the Championship and League 1. Now South American teams, no idea)

5. ayoungblood79 - Dec 18, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Arsenal FEARS MANCHESTER CITY!!!

PST Extra: Race for the PL title