Dec 17, 2013, 7:02 PM EST
Generally speaking, any official in any city that has tried to get an MLS Stadium off the drawing board knows this painful truth all too well: Once you fight your way through a thorny thicket of politics and red tape you can usually expect to find … yet another ornery layer of politics and red tape.
If, that is, the whole doggone notion hasn’t died a slow a painful death.
Truly, this stuff usually moves at a glacial pace. Today we give you “news” from Miami – such that it is.
Miami-Dade County has unanimously approved a resolution that allows negotiations to commence with David Beckham and his group on potential stadium locations. The news was reported in the South Florida Business Journal.
Miami-Dade County mayor Carlos Gimenez painted this development as a “strong message to MLS and Beckham’s group to bring them here.” Oh, to live in the universe where passing resolutions to negotiate qualifies as a strong message.
MLS commissioner Don Garber was apparently encouraged enough by this big development that he issued a statement: “We greatly appreciate the support shown by the Miami-Dade County Commission and look forward to continuing to work with Mayor Jimenez, the Commission and David Beckham on finalizing a plan for a new MLS stadium in Miami.”
Remember, no specific location has been targeted, although Beckham and his group have made no secret of their preference something near downtown or Miami Beach.
- Americans Abroad Preview: European-based Americans back in action 0
- PST writers predict the 2014 Major League Soccer standings, do you agree? 3
- After monumental rebuild, Seattle Sounders target MLS Cup title. Can Sigi Schmid bring success? 3
- 2014 Season Preview: Welcome to the last year of MLS 2.0 6
- WATCH: Premier League TV Schedule – Week 29 0
- MLS Preview: Seattle Sounders vs. Sporting Kansas City 0
- Liga MX Week 10 Round-Up: Toluca Keeps Climbing
- New Look Whitecaps Aim to hit Ground Running Against NY Red Bulls
- Three Star Toluca Dominate in Victory Over Puebla
- Sweden Clash U.S. Women's National Team Undefeated 2-Year Record
- Captain America to Visit Chivas USA
- Lockout Virus Continues, MLS to Start 2014 with Replacement Refs
- Revs To Rely on Intensity, Depth in Opener vs. Dynamo
- Three Keys & One Standout for Toronto FC
- The John Strong Interview. Part 1 - MLS 2014
- Gonzalo Pineda: ''Playing Outside of Mexico Has Always Been a Goal''