Dec 17, 2013, 11:02 PM EDT
FC Dallas technical director Fernando Clavijo, finally breaking the club’s silence on the protracted coaching search, says the team is down to three candidates and hopes to name the selection within a week. He also acknowledged that longtime FCD assistant Marco Feruzzi is among the trio of finalists.
We can be pretty sure it’s not Sounders assistant Brian Schmetzer, who seems destined to stay put for now.
Either way, FCD needs to get this thing done already. Any coach that comes in now is already playing catch-up – not to mention working with someone else’s personnel choices.
On ESPN FC’s blog, a former teammate of Eddie Johnson’s with the Seattle Sounders certainly had some less-flattering thoughts about the U.S. international, who is now D.C. United’s property. Anonymous quotes are always tricky business, but nothing about this one seems terribly out of left field.
There’s a lot of great bits and bytes for Chicago Fire fans here as Frank Yallop discusses some of his plans to get the Toyota Park bunch back into the playoffs.
One rather curious bit, however, is the part where Yallop seems to assume (according to the writer, at least) that talented young goalkeeper Sean Johnson (pictured above) will be going to Brazil as part of Jurgen Klinsmann’s 23-man outfit. Uh … Tim Howard is No. 1, Brad Guzan is the clear second choice and then Nick Rimando seems almost sure to be Klinsmann’s emergency backup. So, we’ll have to see about that one.
Speaking of Yallop, his old team is having salary cap issues. So is everyone else, of course. But in the San Jose Earthquake’s case, it has meant trading prized left back Justin Morrow, who was an MLS All-Star just a season ago. It’s a nice pickup for Toronto, who need help in the back. Well, scratch that … TFC needs help everywhere, obviously.
- Bayern Munich star Toni Kroos fails to rule out Manchester United move 0
- Manchester United set to bid $50 million for Southampton’s star duo 0
- In MLS, West is best… at least for a weekend 1
- Netherlands and Roma on alert after Kevin Strootman carted off against Napoli 0
- Quick Six: Chelsea’s second halves, Fulham helps Cardiff, and the rest of the headlines from this weekend’s Premier League action 0
- Americans Abroad Review: Boyd and Johannsson shine again 1
- Red Bulls' Opening Act Has A Nightmare Finish
- MLS 2014: Dream Team of Week 1
- Jens Lehmann Downplays Guardiola's Bayern Munich
- Chivas USA Hang on to Take all 3 Points From Chicago Fire
- Three Things: Manchester City - Wigan
- Monarcas Morelia Hire 4th Manager of the Season
- What Moyes Really Meant by Asking Fans for More Time at Man United
- Manchester United Set to Sign Record $1 Billion Sponsorship Deal with Nike
- Will Johnson: We Weren't All Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro