Dec 17, 2013, 11:02 PM EDT
FC Dallas technical director Fernando Clavijo, finally breaking the club’s silence on the protracted coaching search, says the team is down to three candidates and hopes to name the selection within a week. He also acknowledged that longtime FCD assistant Marco Feruzzi is among the trio of finalists.
We can be pretty sure it’s not Sounders assistant Brian Schmetzer, who seems destined to stay put for now.
Either way, FCD needs to get this thing done already. Any coach that comes in now is already playing catch-up – not to mention working with someone else’s personnel choices.
On ESPN FC’s blog, a former teammate of Eddie Johnson’s with the Seattle Sounders certainly had some less-flattering thoughts about the U.S. international, who is now D.C. United’s property. Anonymous quotes are always tricky business, but nothing about this one seems terribly out of left field.
There’s a lot of great bits and bytes for Chicago Fire fans here as Frank Yallop discusses some of his plans to get the Toyota Park bunch back into the playoffs.
One rather curious bit, however, is the part where Yallop seems to assume (according to the writer, at least) that talented young goalkeeper Sean Johnson (pictured above) will be going to Brazil as part of Jurgen Klinsmann’s 23-man outfit. Uh … Tim Howard is No. 1, Brad Guzan is the clear second choice and then Nick Rimando seems almost sure to be Klinsmann’s emergency backup. So, we’ll have to see about that one.
Speaking of Yallop, his old team is having salary cap issues. So is everyone else, of course. But in the San Jose Earthquake’s case, it has meant trading prized left back Justin Morrow, who was an MLS All-Star just a season ago. It’s a nice pickup for Toronto, who need help in the back. Well, scratch that … TFC needs help everywhere, obviously.
- Spanish Super Cup: Late goal allows Atlético to claim first leg draw at Real Madrid 0
- UEFA Champions League Roundup: Arsenal held; Athletic takes 1-1 draw out of Naples 1
- PST Major League Soccer Player of the Week: Fabián Castillo 0
- Liverpool, Barca target could become youngest capped in Norway history 2
- Americans Abroad Wrap: US teenagers go distance for Fulham, Utrecht 0
- Men in Blazers podcast: Celebrating the Premier League’s return (and a Mickey Rourke encounter) 3