Dec 18, 2013, 7:43 AM EDT
Friedel, 42, believes his teammates were fully behind the young Portuguese manager and the American ‘keeper, who rated AVB highly amongst the many managers he’s worked with, insisted nobody was happy to see Villas-Boas get his marching orders.
I’ll take that with a pinch of salt, because there will always be a few who fell out with the previous manager for whatever reasons, but will now surely catapult themselves back into the limelight.
But you can’t argue with what Friedel had to say on Fox Soccer.
“I think all the players in the changing room really wanted things to work out for Andre,” Friedel told Fox Soccer Daily.”From day one that he came to the club, (he had an) open door policy, very good communication with the players. None of us were happy to see him go. We still have to continue to have a very good team spirit, which I know we will. We have a lot of quality in the changing room.”
Soccer, especially in the Premier League, is a crazy game today.
In August and September Spurs were being lauded after they let Gareth Bale go and brought in several players for $150 million and started the season off well. AVB and technical director Franco Baldini were geniuses…
On December 16, Villas-Boas was fired after falling out with the fans and the media, as he gave off a persona that showed he was struggling to cope with the extra pressure of delivering a top four finish. After all he’d spent (alongside Baldini) vast amounts of money on players who simply aren’t performing. The buck stopped with him.
Friedel said the players were behind AVB, I don’t doubt that.
But watch how many of those player now flourish in AVB’s absence. Just watch.
- Didier Drogba has officially rejoined Jose Mourinho at Chelsea 0
- FIFA says World Cup will stay in Russia, “can achieve positive change” 2
- DaMarcus Beasley, introduced in Houston: I see myself as a left back 1
- Wenger talks Zelalem, gets taste of U.S. obsession for potential international 3
- EXCLUSIVE: Manchester United’s new signing Ander Herrera focused on success 2
- Serbian boss: Freddy Adu sought by Europa, UCL clubs in Serbia, Cyprus 0