Dec 18, 2013, 4:04 PM EST
Major League Soccer’s Stage Two Re-Entry draft came and went quickly with a couple of notable names selected and a few worker bees changing addresses, but without much bulk otherwise.
D.C. United raised eyebrows with the first overall selection, which we already discussed here.
Two picks later, Toronto FC went back to the future by selecting former MLS Most Valuable Player Dwayne De Rosario. Toronto was one of “De Ro’s” stops after all those successful years at Houston. The slashing playmaker left for more money in 2009, going to his hometown in a high-profile move.
Alas, things never really took off for De Rosario there. No real shame in that; things don’t quite “take off” for most people at BMO Field, where so many careers have stalled or died outright for Major League Soccer’s most dysfunctional organization this side of Chivas USA (which, in fairness, is off-the-charts dysfunctional).
“De Ro” started the 2011 season at BMO, went to New York for 13 games and then landed at RFK Stadium that summer. There, the longtime Canadian international took flight in a way no one quite expected to ever happen again. He won the league’s Golden Boot and captured the league MVP award.
Toronto, meanwhile, flailed as usual.
So at age 35, having just suffered an awful season at RFK, where he could essentially be effective once every two or three weeks, De Rosario is back in his hometown for a final MLS fling.
The other interesting development was Mehdi Ballouchy going to Vancouver, where he will presumably serve as playmaking depth. He was the 2nd overall selection of the 2006 draft, but has never quite met expectations.
The complete Stage Two Re-Entry draft results are here:
- Tuesday Premier League Preview: New managers square off in Midlands derby 0
- PHOTOS: LA Galaxy, Real Salt Lake, Montreal Impact, Chicago Fire unveil new 2015 jerseys 1
- WATCH: Midweek Premier League TV schedule – Week 28 0
- 2015 MLS predictions: Cup winners? MVP? Lampard or Gerrard? Kaka or Giovinco? 2
- MLS Atlanta makes shrewd hire, bringing in Carlos Bocanegra as technical director 0
- BBC report: Sunderland’s Adam Johnson arrested on suspicion of sex with a 15-year-old girl 4