Dec 18, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT
One of the quirky things we love about Major League Soccer is the often complex and incredibly unique player movement process which takes place every offseason.
This year is no different.
After Stage 1 of the re-entry process ended last week, five players were taken on their current contracts.This week sees 48 more MLSers put up for auction, if you will, and able to negotiate new contracts for 2014 and beyond with any potential new teams.
And this year there’s some big names up for grabs but more than likely the phone conference which decides which club takes who will consist of a lot of MLS staffs and GMs getting very accustomed to mumbling the word “pass” as the picks go by.
Three former MLS MVPs can be picked up in Wednesday’s draft with Dwayne De Rosario, David Ferreira and Carlos Ruiz up for grabs, whilst several other gems are littered amongst the field of players who didn’t have their options taken by their current MLS side.
But just to clear up exactly how this works, the re-entry order of picks is right here. Plus here are the requirements each players has to meet in order to be eligible to participate in the re-entry process:
- Players who are at least 23 years old and have a minimum of three years experience in MLS whose options were not exercised by their clubs (available at option salary for 2014)
- Players who are at least 25 years old with a minimum of four years of MLS experience who are out of contract and whose club does not wish to re-sign them at their previous salary (available for at least their 2013 salary)
- Players who are at least 30 years old with a minimum of eight years of MLS experience who are out of contract and whose club does not wish to re-sign them (available for at least 105% of their 2013 salary)
Now that’s been cleared up… here’s the list of 48 players available, including three players who have retired but are still in the process because they may wake up one morning, and change their mind. Pablo Mastroeni, Kevin Hartman and Chris Albright, it’s not too late fellas!
So, here’s 48 guys who could get picked up today. Who would you like to see at your club?
Players available for Stage 2 of re-entry draft
Chivas USA (3): D Ante Jazic*, D Steve Purdy, M Josue Soto
Columbus Crew (2): M Danny O’Rourke, M Konrad Warzycha
Colorado Rapids (3): GK Steward Ceus, D Brian Mullan, M Jamie Smith
D.C. United (5): M Dwayne De Rosario, D James Riley, F Carlos Ruiz, M Marcelo Saragosa, D Daniel Woolard
FC Dallas (2): M David Ferreira, D Ugo Ihemelu
Houston Dynamo (3): F Calen Carr*, M Alex Dixon, F Cam Weaver
LA Galaxy (3): M Colin Clark, M Laurent Courtois, M Pablo Mastroeni* (retired)
Montreal Impact (1): M Sinisa Ubiparipovic
New England Revolution (4): F Chad Barrett, F Ryan Guy, M Clyde Simms, M Juan Toja
New York Red Bulls (4): D Brandon Barklage, F Fabian Espindola, GK Kevin Hartman (retired), D Heath Pearce*
Philadelphia Union (1): D Chris Albright* (retired)
Portland Timbers (2): D Ryan Miller
Real Salt Lake (3): D Brandon McDonald, GK Josh Saunders, M Khari Stephenson
Seattle Sounders (1): M Blair Gavin,
San Jose Earthquakes (4): D Nana Attakora, M Mehdi Ballouchy*, D Dan Gargan, GK Evan Newton
Toronto FC (1): F Justin Braun*
Vancouver Whitecaps (2): GK Joe Cannon, F Corey Hertzog
* denotes players who are out of contract, other players had options declined.
- PST’s Major League Soccer Player of the Week: LA Galaxy’s Landon Donovan 0
- What tomorrow’s goalkeeper platoon tells us about the U.S. goalkeeper void 3
- Jozy Altidore to captain U.S. Wednesday against Czech Republic 0
- With Radamel Falcao, can Manchester United challenge for the Premier League? 10
- Why Danny Welbeck’s move to Arsenal was the best Deadline Day deal 7
- EXCLUSIVE: Fresh off his club debut, young Emerson Hyndman takes his USMNT chance in stride 0