Dec 19, 2013, 7:33 PM EDT
The collapse of a goal line stand at a field in Bekal, India has reportedly left over 100 people injured, with the Bekal Brothers Sports Club facing a criminal complaint after tonight’s pre-match incident.
While freestyler performed in the moments before a match between Saban Kottakkal and Mohammadans Mouval, a stand reportedly made up of wood planks and iron rods folded. Though there were no fatalities, six people were left in serious condition, with local police having registered a criminal case against the host club.
According the Telegraph, recent weather conditions are reported to have contributed the to structure’s collapse. Heavy rains are said to have left the stand’s wood moist, with the collapse coming beneath the weight of a section packed full of spectators.
As you’ll see in the video (above), the accident looks a lot worse than the results. At the 24-second mark, the entire structure folds to one side, a progressive lean that may have limited the extent of the injuries. Instead of a strict collapse with the stand crumbling underneath the fans, the structure “slowly” tilts, perhaps avoiding a tragedy in the process.
- Watch Live: Chicago Fire at San Jose Earthquakes (Lineups and Discuss) 0
- Liverpool 0-1 AS Roma: Marco Borriello winner gives Italians victory at Fenway 0
- Houston Dynamo land USMNT legend DaMarcus Beasley 0
- Watch Live: Liverpool vs. AS Roma (Lineups and Discuss) 1
- USMNT prospect Gedion Zelalem on Arsenal’s roster for Red Bulls match 4
- Stripping Russia of World Cup 2018? Germany makes the argument 7