Dec 19, 2013, 7:33 PM EDT
The collapse of a goal line stand at a field in Bekal, India has reportedly left over 100 people injured, with the Bekal Brothers Sports Club facing a criminal complaint after tonight’s pre-match incident.
While freestyler performed in the moments before a match between Saban Kottakkal and Mohammadans Mouval, a stand reportedly made up of wood planks and iron rods folded. Though there were no fatalities, six people were left in serious condition, with local police having registered a criminal case against the host club.
According the Telegraph, recent weather conditions are reported to have contributed the to structure’s collapse. Heavy rains are said to have left the stand’s wood moist, with the collapse coming beneath the weight of a section packed full of spectators.
As you’ll see in the video (above), the accident looks a lot worse than the results. At the 24-second mark, the entire structure folds to one side, a progressive lean that may have limited the extent of the injuries. Instead of a strict collapse with the stand crumbling underneath the fans, the structure “slowly” tilts, perhaps avoiding a tragedy in the process.
- Netherlands and Roma on alert after Kevin Strootman carted off against Napoli 0
- Quick Six: Chelsea’s second halves, Fulham helps Cardiff, and the rest of the headlines from this weekend’s Premier League action 0
- What a photo: Lazio plays to near-empty Stadio Olimpico as fans protest club president 0
- Americans Abroad Review: Boyd and Johannsson shine again 1
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Will Johnson: We Weren't all Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro
- Juventus Prove They Know how to Win Despite Weak Performance Against Fiore
- Liverpool is Ready to Spend $100 Million in Summer Transfers
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear