Dec 19, 2013, 10:32 AM EST
With Manchester United’s 2-0 win over Stoke in the Capital One Cup quarter-final and Manchester City’s 3-1 victory over Leicester City in the same stage of the contest, fans were frothing at the mouth for a draw that would pit the two rivals together.
And boom, it happened. A Manchester derby final is in the cards.
To get there, United will have to deal with Sunderland over a two-legged semi-final while the noisy neighbors face the same test against West Ham United, who dumped Tottenham out of the competition yesterday with a 2-1 win.
But while supporters and neutrals alike can’t help but dream of a March 2nd all-Manchester final, Jonny Evans is staying grounded.
“That is dangerous talk,” said Evans, when asked about the potential for a first final showdown between United and City.
“I watched Sunderland beat Chelsea the other night and not only are they fighting for Gus Poyet, but he has also got them playing some good football.”
Typical Evans. Ever the politician. In this instance, however, it’s probably justified seeing as United are still looking to recover their form after suffering back-to-back home defeats by Everton and Newcastle.
Things have since settled nicely for the Red Devils, having won three on the trot without having conceded a single goal.
The first-leg matches for the League Cup are set to be played during the week commencing January 6th while second-leg matches will commence the week of January 20th.
- Americans Abroad Preview: European-based Americans back in action 0
- PST writers predict the 2014 Major League Soccer standings, do you agree? 3
- After monumental rebuild, Seattle Sounders target MLS Cup title. Can Sigi Schmid bring success? 3
- 2014 Season Preview: Welcome to the last year of MLS 2.0 6
- WATCH: Premier League TV Schedule – Week 29 0
- MLS Preview: Seattle Sounders vs. Sporting Kansas City 0
- Liga MX Week 10 Round-Up: Toluca Keeps Climbing
- New Look Whitecaps Aim to hit Ground Running Against NY Red Bulls
- Three Star Toluca Dominate in Victory Over Puebla
- Sweden Clash U.S. Women's National Team Undefeated 2-Year Record
- Captain America to Visit Chivas USA
- Lockout Virus Continues, MLS to Start 2014 with Replacement Refs
- Revs To Rely on Intensity, Depth in Opener vs. Dynamo
- Three Keys & One Standout for Toronto FC
- The John Strong Interview. Part 1 - MLS 2014
- Gonzalo Pineda: ''Playing Outside of Mexico Has Always Been a Goal''