Dec 19, 2013, 8:54 PM EDT
Rebecca Lowe hasn’t even completed a full season broadcasting the Premier League in the United States, but the NBC Sports talent has already began collecting honors. With their annual media awards, Sports Illustrated has tabbed the host as their Newcomer of the Year, saying Lowe “has already vaulted to the top of sports television studio hosts thanks to her intellect and knowledge of the league.”
“[Lowe] is the rare ego-free television presenter who makes a studio show about her colleagues,” writes Richard Deitsch, SI.com’s media reporter. “The greatest compliment a viewer can give you is to say you know your subject matter cold — and she does.”
The other candidates (honorable mentions) listed by Deitsch: Kevin Burkhardt (Fox), Pedro Martinez (TBS), Randy Moss (Fox Sports 1), Jay Onrait (Fox Sports 1) and Dan O’Toole (Fox Sports 1).
Prior to moving to the U.S., Lowe had covered sports for the BBC, Setanta Sports, and ESPN UK. This March, she agreed to join NBC and has anchored studio coverage of the Premier League since the beginning of the 2013-14 season. In addition to her responsibilities on the soccer side, Lowe will join the team covering this winter’s Sochi Olympics.
One of her latest Match of the Day efforts can be seen above, with Lowe helping Robbie Earl and Kyle Martino break down the Premier League title race.
- Preview: Atlético Madrid back on track before Champions League visit from goal-shy Milan 0
- Preview: Bayern Munich on guard ahead of Arsenal’s Champions League visit 0
- Third time’s the harm: Fan violence forces abandonment of Trabzonspor’s match with Fenerbahce 2
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 0
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 4
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Revs Waive DelPiccolo; Roster Stands at 27
- Inter President Denies Holding Talks with Chicharito
- Nearly Perfect Start for Galaxy, Result Aside
- USWNT Lose to Denmark 5-3 in Algarve Cup
- Real Salt Lake's Nick Rimando Named MLS Player of the Week
- Will Johnson Signs New Multi-Year Contract With Portland Timbers
- Martino and Moyes Trapped in Can't-Win Situations
- CCL Watch: Cruz Azul Suffer First Loss
- TV Ratings for MLS Season Opener Increase 283% in 1 Year
- Liga MX Radar: Michael Arroyo Scores a Quad