U.S. soccer extends lengthy partnership with Nike, what kits do we want to see?

Dec 20, 2013, 10:50 AM EST

Honduras v United States - FIFA 2014 World Cup Qualifier Getty Images

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

So the U.S. Soccer Federation and Nike have kept their partnership going, as on Friday the U.S. announced a new nine-year deal between the sports apparel company from Oregon.

The long-standing linkup began in 1995 and Nike have gone hand-in-hand with both the USMNT and USWNT ever since, across all levels from the development squads to the full national teams.

U.S. Soccer President Sunil Gulati was delighted to extend the deal.

“Nike has been an outstanding partner and shares our long-term vision for progress, innovation, and player development” said Gulati. “We have enjoyed a tremendous history together that began as we both looked to elevate soccer in this country to new heights, and we look forward to building on our progress.”

Of late, Nike has really stepped up their game, with the designs of several USMNT jerseys’ and other apparel being extremely well-received by fans. The latest batch of kits, which has celebrated the national teams centenary year, has gone down swimmingly as old school crests and simple designs have ruled the roost.

But what can we expect now this new deal is in place? I’m looking forward to this…

source:

Remember these beauties from 1994? Should Nike bring back huge stars on gray shirts…

With the World Cup on the horizon, here are some photos of a leaked jersey for the 2014 World Cup campaign, I’d love to see a shirt-design that pushes the boundaries. We’ve had the plain white jersey and the red and white hoops, both of which I love, but what about something completely different with a return to the blue with white pinstripes?

Or, what about some huge stars and stripes emblazoned across the kit like that gray away jersey from 1994? I like the idea of stripes returning too, and I can’t wait to see what cool and innovative designs the guys at Nike will come up with during this next mega-deal between themselves and U.S. Soccer. Some argue that the U.S. kits should be kept solid white as the national side keep losing their identity as they often change the color and design of their shirts, and I understand that argument too.

Let us know what you would like to see from the next U.S. jerseys. Personally lets go for it and have something really out there.

1. jslip1 - Dec 20, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I’m a little more worried about those leaked kits being the actual WC’14 kits. Hopefully they were just someone’s photoshop project.

The Waldo kids, in my opinion, were easily the best since 2000. 1994 should definitely come back but perhaps a little less 90’s. Same with the blue with white pinstripes.

• simonsays2013 - Dec 26, 2013 at 10:43 PM

I agree completely. The red and white hoops are AWESOME. Totally represent the U.S. flag. When you look at the U.S. fans during a game you see a preponderance of red & white hoops in the stands. So the fans love it, obviously. I just hope that some of the important U.S. Soccer “suits” are reading all these favorable “hoops” comments.

2. dfstell - Dec 20, 2013 at 11:47 AM

I love the red/white hoop, Waldo shirts. Let’s stay with those.

I like the classic white kits in theory and enjoy seeing them on the field, but I don’t like them enough to buy them.

• simonsays2013 - Dec 26, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Yet another RED AND WHITE HOOPS comment. Please lets start a RED AND WHITE HOOPS tradition, instead of changing the darn shirt every 6 months. (Hint to Nike; maybe add some stars on a blue collar….I would pay a $100 for a shirt like that). PLEASE, PLEASE ADD YOUR RED AND WHITE HOOPS SUPPORT. Thanks.

3. chadmoon1 - Dec 20, 2013 at 12:57 PM

This deal is stupid. Nike Sucks!!!!!! They are a basketball brand and should remain so.

Why is it stupid for the USA to have Nike as a sponsor? Who sponsors MLS, the top league in the USA? Adidas, a proper soccer apparel giant. Why is the professional league outfitted with one company and the Nat’s another? That’s just dumb.

Those 94 uniforms were hideous.

• bear06 - Dec 21, 2013 at 4:24 AM

This comment is stupid.

4. gloryostrich - Dec 20, 2013 at 1:04 PM

I can’t agree with Nike “stepping up their game.” As much as I loved the centennial kit, they were identical to England’s Home Kit (minus the crest of course.) Would have loved for US Soccer to switch to Under Armor, get some fresh ideas in there. 2 years with Spurs and all have been awesome kits, IMO.

5. jdfsquared - Dec 20, 2013 at 3:17 PM

As long as they KEEP THE CENTENNIAL CREST instead of reverting to that stupid 90’s clipart “soccer ball” logo, I’m in.

6. rphillish - Dec 20, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Looks pretty standard. Personally, I want to see more red in the kit.

7. happylars - Dec 20, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Id love, at least, a consistent kit. Nothing like never knowing what color nike and USA will push for jersey sales. I want an identifiable scheme for their jerseys. Add the flare here and there, but I love how other countries stick to their colors.

• simonsays2013 - Dec 26, 2013 at 10:51 PM

Yes, Yes, Yes RED AND WHITE HOOPS!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. awsnavely - Dec 21, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Honestly, I can’t stand the sash with the contrasting sleeves. Feels like too many gimmicks. Navy blue is best left as a secondary color, in my opinion. What happened to our red third kits? If you look in the stands at a US game, the dominating color will be red, almost every time. Red is the color.

9. simonsays2013 - Dec 26, 2013 at 10:52 PM

See my earlier comment. RED AND WHITE HOOPS.

10. Derek Daniel - Dec 27, 2013 at 10:04 AM

“We need an identity.” “We need something to be recognized by.” “We need a company that understands what America believes in.”
    If these were your thoughts, then Nike is the company for you. I am by no means an expert when it comes to uniform design, but I do have opinions and have seen a number of kits. If we want a company to design the kits for the USMNT & USWNT that understands what it means to be American, then shouldn’t we have a company design it that is actually based in and headquartered in America? adidas is a European company that was started in Germany. Yes they have a global identity, but the reason why they do so well in the European leagues is because they are just that, European. Plus, I know it’s their thing, but three stripes down the side of everything gets old.
    If you feel that changing designs every year isn’t an identity, take a look at one of the most recognizable and identifiable teams lately. The University of Oregon Football team has created a niche for themselves based solely off the fact that their identity is ever changing. Are they going to wear green this week? Maybe black? I bet it’ll be some neon color. They keep people guessing and wondering and create an energy among their fans and players simply based off of their constantly evolving design. Yes, I know the design changes are based off Nike trying to generate sales, but they do create an identity as well.
    I feel the design can also help you at the grassroots level. Do you want the sport of soccer to grow in the States? You have to get noticed by kids and get them enthused about it. I see more Lebron jerseys and some football player jerseys than I do any soccer jersey and that goes for any league or any athlete. Soccer is growing in popularity in America with kids under the age of 10, but I want to see it grow in popularity with them into and past the teen years.
    Plus America is a constantly changing, short attention span, 15 minutes of fame type of country. That is part of our identity. We embrace change. That is part of our who we are.
    Personally, I loved the red hoops, but are we the only country to ever use a hoop design? Did we invent hoops and put a trademark on it? Nope. Not ours. Borrow the design and move on. Let’s see what other amazing design might be on a drawing board in Eugene.

11. jimsakeeper1 - Dec 27, 2013 at 1:26 PM

The best designer ever to use large blocks or red, white, and blue is Tommy Hilfiger. I say have him design the entire line.

Week 17: PL Saturday recap