Dec 20, 2013, 10:50 AM EDT
If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
So the U.S. Soccer Federation and Nike have kept their partnership going, as on Friday the U.S. announced a new nine-year deal between the sports apparel company from Oregon.
The long-standing linkup began in 1995 and Nike have gone hand-in-hand with both the USMNT and USWNT ever since, across all levels from the development squads to the full national teams.
U.S. Soccer President Sunil Gulati was delighted to extend the deal.
“Nike has been an outstanding partner and shares our long-term vision for progress, innovation, and player development” said Gulati. “We have enjoyed a tremendous history together that began as we both looked to elevate soccer in this country to new heights, and we look forward to building on our progress.”
Of late, Nike has really stepped up their game, with the designs of several USMNT jerseys’ and other apparel being extremely well-received by fans. The latest batch of kits, which has celebrated the national teams centenary year, has gone down swimmingly as old school crests and simple designs have ruled the roost.
But what can we expect now this new deal is in place? I’m looking forward to this…
With the World Cup on the horizon, here are some photos of a leaked jersey for the 2014 World Cup campaign, I’d love to see a shirt-design that pushes the boundaries. We’ve had the plain white jersey and the red and white hoops, both of which I love, but what about something completely different with a return to the blue with white pinstripes?
Or, what about some huge stars and stripes emblazoned across the kit like that gray away jersey from 1994? I like the idea of stripes returning too, and I can’t wait to see what cool and innovative designs the guys at Nike will come up with during this next mega-deal between themselves and U.S. Soccer. Some argue that the U.S. kits should be kept solid white as the national side keep losing their identity as they often change the color and design of their shirts, and I understand that argument too.
Let us know what you would like to see from the next U.S. jerseys. Personally lets go for it and have something really out there.
- Alan Pardew handed hefty ban, fined for headbutt 1
- Preview: Atlético Madrid back on track before Champions League visit from goal-shy Milan 0
- Preview: Bayern Munich on guard ahead of Arsenal’s Champions League visit 0
- Third time’s the harm: Fan violence forces abandonment of Trabzonspor’s match with Fenerbahce 2
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 1
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 4
- Sporting KC's Television Network Expands
- American Investment Firm Buying Up Man United Stock
- Earthquakes vs. Toluca: CONCACAF Champions League
- San Jose Earthquakes Acquire Benfica Midfielder Yannick Djalo
- Revs Waive DelPiccolo; Roster Stands at 27
- Inter President Denies Holding Talks with Chicharito
- Nearly Perfect Start for Galaxy, Result Aside
- USWNT Lose to Denmark 5-3 in Algarve Cup
- Real Salt Lake's Nick Rimando Named MLS Player of the Week
- Will Johnson Signs New Multi-Year Contract With Portland Timbers