U.S. Soccer names All-Time Best XI, do you agree?

Dec 20, 2013, 2:26 PM EDT

Honduras v United States - 2013 CONCACAF Gold Cup Getty Images

There will be some eyebrows raised about this side but this is it, it’s final.

On Friday to finish off the centenary year celebrations U.S. Soccer announced it’s all-time best XI, with the modern era dominating the picks and LA Galaxy star Landon Donovan leading the way with 52 votes from members of the media, former players and administrators.

Four current eligible USMNT stars were included as Donovan was joined by Clint Dempsey, Steve Cherundolo and Carlos Bocanegra, even though the latter two could well miss out on World Cup 2014, in the list which honors the greats of American soccer down the years.

In goal Brad Friedel got the nod, as he received 44 votes ahead of Kasey Keller in second and Tim Howard in third.

While in defense, Marcelo Balboa and Eddie Pope were the standout selection as they joined Boca and Dolo to make up a flat back four. Notables who just missed out making the back four were Thomas Dooley, Paul Caligiuri and Jeff Agoos.

(MORE: ProSoccerTalk’s vote for the All-Time Best XI)

In midfield the modern stars dominated as Donovan and Dempsey were joined by greats Tab Ramos and Claudio Reyna. However Michael Bradley was just beat out by Dempsey as the AS Roma man missed out by 2 votes in making up the midfield.

Up front there were two runaway winners as Brian McBride and Eric Wynalda stole the show. Other notable strikers receiving votes were Earnie Stewart, Jozy Altidore and Peter Vermes.

Here’s the full XI below, let us know if you agree with the selections or not.

U.S. National Team All-Time Best XI

Goalkeeper – Brad Friedel 1992-2004 (25 votes)

Defender – Marcelo Balboa 1988-2000 (35 votes)
Defender – Carlos Bocanegra 2001-2012 (25 votes)
Defender – Steve Cherundolo 1999-2012 (25 votes)
Defender – Eddie Pope 1996-2006 (33 votes)

Midfielder – Clint Dempsey 2004-present (25 votes)
Midfielder – Landon Donovan 2000-present (52 votes)
Midfielder – Tab Ramos 1988-2000 (42 votes)
Midfielder – Claudio Reyna 1994-2006 (45 votes)

Forward – Brian McBride 1993-2006 (45 votes)
Forward – Eric Wynalda 1990-2000 (43 votes)

1. mianfr - Dec 20, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Too bad worst hair isn’t a position so Alexi Lalas could be on the squad.

2. mrstev - Dec 20, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Donovan’s name showed on 52 of the 57 ballots. My only question is who are the 5 tards that didn’t have him on their list?

3. bellerophon30 - Dec 20, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Seriously, TWO VOTES for John O’Brien!?!? I know that midfield is loaded, but good grief. And while I’ve never been in love with Damarcus Beasley, he’s about to play in his 4th World Cup and got one vote. Also in midfield, Tab Ramos over Michael Bradley is at best dubious.

I was surprised that Friedel coasted to such an easy victory over Keller and Howard, though I agree with it.

Defense is okay, I suppose, though Dooley and Boca are a great debate.

All in all an interesting list.

4. mdac1012 - Dec 20, 2013 at 5:14 PM

I really can’t argue too much with this lineup. You could make a case for Keller over Friedel and maybe one day Howard over both of them but I never have a problem with Brad in goal.

I would have put Michael Bradley on the team. The question would be, who do you take out? If I have to keep guys at their “pure” position, I would take out Tab and put in Bradley. But if this were an actual, real team, I would take Wynalda out, and move either Dempsey or LD to striker in the 4-4-2, and move Bradley into the midfield. To me, I would rather have Michael Bradley on the field than Eric Wynalda if given the choice.

5. drewvt6 - Dec 20, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Only one I’d swap is Dooley for Balboa. I’m somewhat surprised at the reasonableness of the selections.

6. Matthew - Dec 20, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Reblogged this on Carolina Mountain Blue.

7. happylars - Dec 20, 2013 at 9:41 PM

I think Bradley could be, potentially, on the list in a few more years. But, for all time, given their careers, I don’t disagree with the choices. The fact that Jozy was mentioned kind of plays to a recency factor.

8. kurgen99 - Dec 21, 2013 at 1:00 PM

The current USMT would kick the crap out of this best XI.

9. braxtonrob - Dec 22, 2013 at 5:44 AM

Who is our Left Back again?!?

(Ridiculous.)