Dec 21, 2013, 8:20 AM EDT
Was there any doubt that Luis Suárez would get things started against Cardiff on Saturday? The Liverpool star just extended his contract, keeping him at Anfield until 2018, and went into the match with 17 goals in just 11 Premier League matches.
Well, make that 18 goals in 12 matches, because, in the 25th minute, Suárez put Liverpool up 1-0 over the visiting Cardiff. The Bluebirds had done a good job pressing and keeping Liverpool on alert, but it still only seemed a matter of time before Suárez had the ball in the back of the net.
And, once again, it was a lovely goal from the Uruguayan. Does he ever score a routine tap-in anymore? This time, after a bit of back-and-forth inside the area, Jordan Henderson sent his flick in from the left side, looping over the heads of the Cardiff players. Suárez caught it on the volley and sent the ball into the bottom left corner, leaving David Marshall with no chance.
While the Bluebirds had looked lively and determined until the opening goal, it seems unlikely now that there will be any sort of comeback for Cardiff. They can keep up the pressure, but Liverpool’s fast breaks and the pure skill of Luis Suárez will likely prove to be too much.
- PST’s Major League Soccer Power Rankings – Week 1 0
- Arsenal midfielder Gedion Zelalem about to jump off the U.S. Soccer radar 5
- Stuart Holden out for 6-9 months, as serious injury hits U.S. international once again 3
- Three things we learned from Arsenal’s failed UEFA Champions League campaign 1
- Battling Arsenal bow out, as Bayern Munich reach UEFA Champions League quarters after 1-1 draw (3-1, agg.) 0
- Two from Diego Costa help Atlético Madrid cruise past Milan in Champions League, 4-1 (5-1, agg.) 0
- Sporting KC's Television Network Expands
- American Investment Firm Buying Up Man United Stock
- Earthquakes vs. Toluca: CONCACAF Champions League
- San Jose Earthquakes Acquire Benfica Midfielder Yannick Djalo
- Revs Waive DelPiccolo; Roster Stands at 27
- Inter President Denies Holding Talks with Chicharito
- Nearly Perfect Start for Galaxy, Result Aside
- USWNT Lose to Denmark 5-3 in Algarve Cup
- Real Salt Lake's Nick Rimando Named MLS Player of the Week
- Will Johnson Signs New Multi-Year Contract With Portland Timbers