Dec 21, 2013, 9:31 AM EDT
We have officially run out of superlatives to describe the performances of this guy….
Okay, we lied, Luis Suarez has been absolutely sensational once again as Liverpool beat Cardiff City 3-1 at Anfield thanks to two terrific first half strikes from the Uruguayan striker. After signing his new long-term deal, Suarez was on top of his game once again and tallied his 18th and 19th goals of the season to equal the Premier League record for most goals scored before Christmas.
His first came when he volleyed home from Jordan Henderson‘s clipped pass that expertly found Liverpool’s leading man to smash home his 18th goal of the season.
Just before half time Suarez struck again, after he’d already set up Raheem Sterling to put Liverpool 2-0 ahead, with a magnificent curling effort that put the Reds 3-0 up at the break as their captain, leading goalscorer and superstar led the way once again.
Suarez went close twice in the second half to completing his hat trick as he was denied by David Marshall and hit the post. But in the end his first half heroics was enough to send Liverpool top of the league.
- Premier League friendly roundup: Southampton draws, Stoke swallowed 0
- Jose Mourinho says “best team lost,” attacks Arsenal’s defensive tactics, as Chelsea beaten at their own game 4
- Arsene Wenger, Jose Mourinho fail to shake hands, as Gunners boss finally prevails 1
- Three things we learned from Arsenal’s Community Shield win vs. Chelsea 0
- Arsenal 1-0 Chelsea: Oxlade-Chamberlain strike wins Gunners FA Community Shield 0
- Report: Manchester United, PSG agree to $70 million fee for Angel di Maria 3