Dec 22, 2013, 8:51 AM EDT
Southampton have taken an early lead in the 13th minute against Tim Sherwood’s Tottenham Hotspur at St. Mary’s.
Adam Lallana ended a five-match goalless drought when he received a ball from Danny Fox, spun beautifully around to set himself up with his first touch, and unleashed a low drive into the bottom corner.
Fox did well to take advantage of space down the left wing, and Lallana exploited some space between Tottenham’s center backs to get the shot off.
It’s the 25-year-old’s fourth goal of the season, his first since early November against Hull City.
Fox picked up his first assist of the year in just his third Premier League start, deputizing for an ill Luke Shaw at left-back.
Sherwood now has a lot of work to do to pick up all three points on the road and support his case for the vacant managerial job at Spurs.
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 0
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 2
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro
- Juventus Prove They Know how to Win Despite Weak Performance Against Fiore
- Liverpool is Ready to Spend $100 Million in Summer Transfers
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win