Dec 22, 2013, 8:51 AM EDT
Southampton have taken an early lead in the 13th minute against Tim Sherwood’s Tottenham Hotspur at St. Mary’s.
Adam Lallana ended a five-match goalless drought when he received a ball from Danny Fox, spun beautifully around to set himself up with his first touch, and unleashed a low drive into the bottom corner.
Fox did well to take advantage of space down the left wing, and Lallana exploited some space between Tottenham’s center backs to get the shot off.
It’s the 25-year-old’s fourth goal of the season, his first since early November against Hull City.
Fox picked up his first assist of the year in just his third Premier League start, deputizing for an ill Luke Shaw at left-back.
Sherwood now has a lot of work to do to pick up all three points on the road and support his case for the vacant managerial job at Spurs.
- PST’s Major League Soccer Power Rankings – Week 6 0
- ProSoccerTalk MLS Team of the Week – Week 6 0
- Arsene Wenger insists Arsenal can finish in the top four 4
- Arsenal 3-1 West Ham United: Podolski double puts Gunners back in the win column (video) 1
- PST’s Major League Soccer Player of the Week: Clint Dempsey 0
- Promotion Watch: Burnley on the cusp of Premier League return 1