Dec 22, 2013, 1:42 PM EDT
Barcelona found themselves 2-0 down inside 14 minutes at Getafe, but rallied for a 5-2 victory thanks to a hat-trick by Pedro.
With Neymar and Lionel Messi both unavailable, Pedro took his opportunity in the spotlight well.
The 26-year-old picked up his first goal in the 34th minute when he broke free and chipped off Getafe goalkeeper Miguel Moya’s fingertips to get Barcelona back within one.
Six minutes later he broke down the left flank and his teammates found the run. Pedro latched onto the through ball, cut back inside, and rifled across face to the far corner.
The third came just two minutes later as Jordi Alba’s cross banged off Valera’s legs and fell right to Pedro in the box, who strongly finished for his hat-trick.
Cesc Fabregas added two more in the second half and the La Liga leaders kept pace with Atletico Madrid, who beat Levante 3-2. Both teams are level on 46 points but Barcelona have a 2-goal advantage in differential.
Messi is still nursing a hamstring injury, and Neymar was suspended for yellow-card accumulation.
- Chelsea approves Jose Mourinho’s desire to play ‘B Squad’ against Liverpool 0
- David Moyes tipped by Roberto Martinez to make swift return to management 0
- Three things we learned from Real Madrid’s win vs. Bayern Munich 2
- Benzema goal holds up as Real Madrid claim 1-0 lead over Bayern Munich 0
- Major League Soccer Power Rankings – Week 7 3
- Moyes statement on dismissal; Reports say he was recruiting to the end 5