Dec 22, 2013, 9:56 AM EST
Goals are flying in at St. Mary’s, as Southampton score at both ends to get the scoreline at 3-2.
Jas Hooiveld picked up an own-goal, handing Tottehnam a comeback lead at St. Mary’s in the 54th minute.
However, an incisive counter-attack by Southampton brought it back level just six minutes later.
Finally, Emmanuel Adebayor found himself on the ball in the attacking box soon after and cashed in for a double.
Southampton center back Hooiveld and goalkeeper Paulo Gazzaniga both went for the ball, and the defender’s attempt to cut out the cross instead tapped the ball into the net.
It’s a fitting reward for Spurs, who came blasting out of the gates in the second half.
Unfortunately, Saints have played fantastic on the counter, and they made Spurs pay for the pressure.
Jack Cork found Adam Lallana making a run down the middle, and it caught the visiting defense completely out of position, forcing Hugo Lloris out of his goal. With nobody to cover, Lallana cut back for a wide open Ricky Lambert who sent the ball into the open net.
It brought St. Mary’s to life, but Spurs would soon quiet the crowd again. Adebayor took a deflected ball and pounced, crashing a shot past Gazzaniga for another lead.
- Premier League Preview: Chelsea vs. Tottenham 0
- PST Extra: Relegation in focus ahead of six-pointer in Cardiff 0
- Major League Soccer Preview: An alternate view of the 2014 regular season 2
- Premier League Power Rankings: Top four shuffle, as pivotal stretch arrives – Week 28 0
- Ranking the candidates for MLS’s next two expansion teams (after Don Garber’s Tuesday Q-and-A) 5
- MLS Season Preview: Ranking the top 10 midfielders 0
- Moyes Writes Open Letter to Man United Fans
- San Jose Earthquakes: Players To Watch In 2014 Season
- A Good Start Would Go A Long Way for the Chicago Fire
- Report: Man City Prepare $278 Million Offer for Lionel Messi
- Revs Notebook: Targeting Strikers, Imbongo's Reds & Fagundez's Left Foot
- Chicago Fire Players to Watch for in 2014
- FC Dallas Unveil 2014 Home Kit
- Eddie Johnson's Bumpy Road to Designated Player Status
- Adidas & Nike Unveil Hybrid Cleats to Change Soccer Forever
- Preview: Sporting KC at Seattle Sounders FC