Dec 22, 2013, 8:06 AM EST
Tim Sherwood makes his Premier League managerial debut with Tottenham as they travel to Southampton live on NBCSN at 8:30am ET or live online at NBC Sports Live Extra.
Sherwood has publicly stated he strongly desires to be the permanent Spurs manager, and could make a good case with a quality win over ninth-place Southampton on the road.
The 44-year-old interim manager has Danny Rose at his disposal at left-back, a player who has been missing since the fourth match of the season.
However, England international Andros Townsend misses out due to a hamstring injury, and will be out for at least a month.
Sherwood has also selected both big-name signings to man the wings, with Erik Lamela and Christian Eriksen both earning starts for the temporary manager. He has also sacrificed a midfielder from Andre Villas-Boas‘s typical lineup to place Emmanuel Adebayor in support of Roberto Soldado up front.
For Southampton, 18-year-old Calum Chambers continues to deputize at right-back with Nathaniel Clyne stuck on the sidelines with a hamstring injury. Wing-back partner Luke Shaw is ill, so Danny Fox will take over on the left.
Chambers is joined by fellow Southampton academy graduates Harrison Reed and James Ward-Prowse in the squad, with the latter two on the bench today. In the midst of a violent conduct charge from the FA, Daniel Osvaldo is not in the Saints squad.
Southampton – Gazzaniga; Chambers, Lovren, Hooiveld, Fox; Cork, Schneiderlin, S Davis, Lallana, Rodriguez; Lambert.
Bench – Cropper, Yoshida, Fonte, Ramírez, Ward-Prowse, Reed, Gallagher.
Tottenham – Lloris; Walker, Dawson, Chriches, Rose; Lamela, Dembele, Eriksen, Sigurdsson; Adebayor, Soldado.
Bench – Friedel, Capoue, Fredericks, Bentaleb, Holtby, Chadli, Defoe.
- Rodgers: Sturridge could face Chelsea in League Cup, certain to be back for Saturday vs. West Ham 0
- Sepp Blatter keeps talking trash at UEFA regarding FIFA election 3
- Sunday’s transfer rumor roundup: Konoplyanka to Everton, Clyne to Trafford 0
- Africa Cup of Nations roundup: Congo, Equatorial Guinea victorious in group finales, advance 0
- FA Cup Roundup: Upsets halted with West Ham, Villa, Arsenal wins 1
- Rodgers says Balotelli needs to vastly improve before playing for Liverpool 1