Jose Mourinho targets 12-year stay at Chelsea

Dec 23, 2013, 12:10 PM EST

Can Mourinho's Chelsea send a message out to the rest of the league? AP

No need to worry, Chelsea lovers, Jose Mourinho plans on staying at Stamford Bridge for the next 12 years.

It’s an ambitious goal and one that Mourinho is keen to point out as his “worst contract” in the past six years.

Speaking ahead of Monday’s blockbuster with Arsenal, Mourinho noted his optimism. “Realistically I hope at the end of those four years we sit, analysze the situation and that will be the point where we both – club and me – are happy to carry on or happy to separate,” he said.

“But I would like [to stay for], say, 12 years. I’m 51 next month. I’d say 12 years, and then two to go to a World Cup with a national team. I would prefer the Portuguese national team. England second [choice], yes.”

Mourinho also discussed the keys to running a successful club.

“The best way to [run a club] is to do it with stability. For the players, if you want to help them grow up, you do that much better with stability: in ideas, philosophy, model of play, style of leadership. This all comes from stability at the highest level: with the owners and board and, after that, the manager. The second line of the hierarchy. That stability is very important.”

The Special One’s aspiration to last 12 years at Stamford Bridge assume a copastetic relationship with club owner, Roman Abramovich. In 2007, Mourinho’s first stay in West London was cut short when relations strained with the Russian billionaire. Since that divorce, Abramovich has cruised through five permanent managers and two interims, meaning the helm at Chelsea is hardly a place of stability.

But if anyone can see that stretch out, it’s the Portuguese boss.

Discussing his lucrative deals with Inter Milan and Real Madrid, Mourinho described his motivation to return to the Blues. “I didn’t come here because the job was easy, or because I had a team ready to attack the title, or because I was coming here for the best contract of my life. It’s the worst of my last six years. I’m here because I love the club, I love the project. It’s a different project.”

Mourinho and Arsene Wenger renew their long-standing relationship today at the Emirates Stadium, coverage begins at 2:00 pm ET on NBCSN.

Latest Posts
  1. Huge blow for Arsenal as Jack Wilshere is out for three months

Nov 27, 2014, 9:13 AM EST

Wilshere AP

Wilshere has surgery on left ankle, as young midfielder set for another lengthy spell on the sidelines.

2. Bob Bradley talks Stabaek, job offers, offseason plans and more

Nov 27, 2014, 8:51 AM EST

Bradley, Stabaek

Bradley opens up about his first season at Stabaek, his future in Europe and much more.

3. USA drop five places in latest FIFA world rankings; England on the up

Nov 27, 2014, 7:28 AM EST

Ireland US Soccer AP

Klinsmann’s men drop further in FIFA’s latest rankings.

4. Arsene Wenger hails his team’s attitude, Sanogo and the path forward

Nov 26, 2014, 10:30 PM EST

FBL-EUR-C1-ARSENAL-ANDERLECHT-TRAINING Getty Images

Wenger was in good spirits following his side’s victory that put an end to his two-match losing skid.

5. Ross Barkley Divegate: Why Martinez defends him and what it means

Nov 26, 2014, 9:50 PM EST

Everton v West Ham United - Premier League Getty Images

Yes, Barkley dove and yes, (news flash) Martinez is overly protective of his players.

6. Cesc Fabregas claims he’s playing the best football of his life

Nov 26, 2014, 8:32 PM EST

Let's talk about Cesc... Getty Images

“I feel that right now I am playing some of the best football of my career,” Fabregas said.

7. Emile Heskey offers himself to Leicester City to help scoring woes

Nov 26, 2014, 7:38 PM EST

FBL-ENG-PR-DISCRIMINATION-HESKEY-SIN

“It goes without saying, I’d love to come,” Heskey told BBC Radio Leicester.

8. Franck Ribery lashes out at “politics” behind the Ballon d’Or

Nov 26, 2014, 6:44 PM EST

gareth_bale_franck_ribery AP

Poor Franck. All fired up and not even on the 23-man shortlist.

9. Despite their struggles, Liverpool’s season intact as spirit shines through

Nov 26, 2014, 6:00 PM EST

Can Liverpool build off this draw in Sofia? Their manager Brendan Rodgers has cause for optimism.

10. Champions League roundup: Arsenal, Atletico Madrid through, tense elsewhere

Nov 26, 2014, 5:21 PM EST

All the action from the penultimate games in Groups A-D, as two teams booked their spot in the last 16.

11. Paul Mitchell named Tottenham’s new head of recruitment

Nov 26, 2014, 5:19 PM EST

Paul Mitchell

The raid on Southampton continues, as their recruiting guru heads to Spurs.

12. Arsenal 2-0 Dortmund: Sanogo and Sanchez send the Gunners through to the Knockout Stage

Nov 26, 2014, 4:43 PM EST

Arsenal FC v Borussia Dortmund - UEFA Champions League Getty Images

It was an upbeat display from the Gunners, who move on to the Champions League knockout stage.

13. Ludogorets 2-2 Liverpool: Late equalizer spells more misery for Reds, but there’s hope

Nov 26, 2014, 4:42 PM EST

Reds cough up late goal, but can still advance to the last 16 of the UCL with a win over Basel in their final group game.

14. VIDEO: Real Madrid’s Cristiano Ronaldo scores 71st Champions League goal

Nov 26, 2014, 4:10 PM EST

FBL-EUR-C1-BASEL-REAL FBL-EUR-C1-BASEL-REAL

Watch Ronaldo go level with Raul as he puts some pressure on Messi.

15. At The Half – Arsenal 1-0 Dortmund: Sanogo’s strike the difference

Nov 26, 2014, 3:41 PM EST

Arsenal FC v Borussia Dortmund - UEFA Champions League

Good start for the Arsenal, scoring early through Yaya Sanogo.

PST Extra: Top 4 showdowns on Sunday