Dec 23, 2013, 7:38 PM EST
Signs of “something better” keep appearing around RFK Stadium. Clearly, that’s a low bar considering the historically dreadful season just seen for D.C. United, which was truly woeful across all areas of the field.
But the offseason moves so far all seem to make sense. Clearly, what “makes sense” for D.C. United wouldn’t be what “makes sense” for all clubs. The best example there is Eddie Johnson’s signing. United is so desperate for some quality near opposition goal that it was worth a flier on a guy who doesn’t have a great reputation in the locker room.
That might be a risky move elsewhere; it’s not exactly a master stroke for United, but it does seem rather sensible.
Now, here’s a move that would make sense for any club: jettisoning a high-salaried defender who really isn’t a very good defender.
Canadian international Dejan Jakovic is off to Japan, apparently. Good luck to the man!
Thing is, he didn’t make sense around RFK. If you pay $300K for a defender in MLS, his name had better be Omar Gonzalez or Jamison Olave or perhaps Jose Goncalves. Otherwise, that’s like paying $10 for a beer at the stadium – it’s bad value.
The entire back line is being rebuilt at RFK. Sean Franklin, Nana Attakora and Bobby Boswell have been brought in to join Ethan White. While Franklin and Boswell are not cheap, they are better defenders than Jakovic. Again, it’s about value. And now there’s a little more of it along the back line at RFK.
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- David Moyes on Manchester United’s win vs. West Brom: “That’s more like it” 0
- Arsenal 4-1 Everton: Gunners book FA Cup semifinal spot 0
- WATCH: Premier League live on NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 29 0
- Americans Abroad Preview: European-based Americans back in action 0
- PST writers predict the 2014 Major League Soccer standings, do you agree? 3
- Liga MX Week 10 Round-Up: Toluca Keeps Climbing
- New Look Whitecaps Aim to hit Ground Running Against NY Red Bulls
- Three Star Toluca Dominate in Victory Over Puebla
- Sweden Clash U.S. Women's National Team Undefeated 2-Year Record
- Captain America to Visit Chivas USA
- Lockout Virus Continues, MLS to Start 2014 with Replacement Refs
- Revs To Rely on Intensity, Depth in Opener vs. Dynamo
- Three Keys & One Standout for Toronto FC
- The John Strong Interview. Part 1 - MLS 2014
- Gonzalo Pineda: ''Playing Outside of Mexico Has Always Been a Goal''