Dec 23, 2013, 9:54 AM EDT
Matchweek 17 saw another plethora of goals and who else is at the forefront of all the action but Luis Suarez?
This past weekend he nailed a first-half brace against Cardiff City, first by striking a filthy first-time volley into the bottom corner (#3 on our list) and later by curling a sumptuous shot around two defenders and the goalkeeper from 22 yards out (#1 on our list).
At this point, we’re running out of superlatives to describe what the Uruguayan is accomplishing this season.
In 12 matches played he’s notched 19 goals, a rate of 1.583 goals per game. If that doesn’t make your jaw drop then this will: Suarez’ current pace, if calculated over the remaining 21 games of the 2013-14 season, means he is projected to score 52 goals this year.
If he managed to score that many he wouldn’t just hold the record for Premier League goals in a 38 game season (31, held jointly by Alan Shearer and Cristiano Ronaldo), he will have slaughtered it by 21 goals. Astounding.
As for the other top goals of the weekend, the rocket by Everton defender Seamus Coleman (#5) showed why he’s one of the highest touted right-backs in the league, Emmanuel Adebayor (#4) showed that he still has plenty left in the tank after a lengthy spell on the sidelines and Ashley Young may finally be waking up from his scoring slumber with a sensational top corner strike (#2), his second of the week.
- Watch Live: Everton vs. Chelsea (Lineups) 0
- Manchester City 0-1 Stoke City: Diouf’s dribble springs upset 1
- Newcastle United 3-3 Crystal Palace: Zaha hands Warnock dream comeback 0
- VIDEO: Swansea City’s Wayne Routledge scores sensational volley 0
- Burnley 0-0 Manchester United: Sloppy Utd overshadows Di Maria debut 4
- Watch Live: Manchester City vs. Stoke City (Lineups) 0