Dec 23, 2013, 9:54 AM EDT
Matchweek 17 saw another plethora of goals and who else is at the forefront of all the action but Luis Suarez?
This past weekend he nailed a first-half brace against Cardiff City, first by striking a filthy first-time volley into the bottom corner (#3 on our list) and later by curling a sumptuous shot around two defenders and the goalkeeper from 22 yards out (#1 on our list).
At this point, we’re running out of superlatives to describe what the Uruguayan is accomplishing this season.
In 12 matches played he’s notched 19 goals, a rate of 1.583 goals per game. If that doesn’t make your jaw drop then this will: Suarez’ current pace, if calculated over the remaining 21 games of the 2013-14 season, means he is projected to score 52 goals this year.
If he managed to score that many he wouldn’t just hold the record for Premier League goals in a 38 game season (31, held jointly by Alan Shearer and Cristiano Ronaldo), he will have slaughtered it by 21 goals. Astounding.
As for the other top goals of the weekend, the rocket by Everton defender Seamus Coleman (#5) showed why he’s one of the highest touted right-backs in the league, Emmanuel Adebayor (#4) showed that he still has plenty left in the tank after a lengthy spell on the sidelines and Ashley Young may finally be waking up from his scoring slumber with a sensational top corner strike (#2), his second of the week.
- PST’s Major League Soccer Power Rankings – Week 1 0
- Arsenal midfielder Gedion Zelalem about to jump off the U.S. Soccer radar 5
- Stuart Holden out for 6-9 months, as serious injury hits U.S. international once again 3
- Three things we learned from Arsenal’s failed UEFA Champions League campaign 1
- Battling Arsenal bow out, as Bayern Munich reach UEFA Champions League quarters after 1-1 draw (3-1, agg.) 0
- Two from Diego Costa help Atlético Madrid cruise past Milan in Champions League, 4-1 (5-1, agg.) 0
- Sporting KC's Television Network Expands
- American Investment Firm Buying Up Man United Stock
- Earthquakes vs. Toluca: CONCACAF Champions League
- San Jose Earthquakes Acquire Benfica Midfielder Yannick Djalo
- Revs Waive DelPiccolo; Roster Stands at 27
- Inter President Denies Holding Talks with Chicharito
- Nearly Perfect Start for Galaxy, Result Aside
- USWNT Lose to Denmark 5-3 in Algarve Cup
- Real Salt Lake's Nick Rimando Named MLS Player of the Week
- Will Johnson Signs New Multi-Year Contract With Portland Timbers