Dec 23, 2013, 8:09 AM EST
The 24-year-old was arrested early Sunday morning at the Sugar Hut nightclub in his home town of Brentwood, just outside London.
Essex police released the following statement: “Police were called by security staff … shortly before 12.30am on Sunday following reports of a disturbance.
“Officers arrived and arrested James Tomkins before later charging him with one count of assaulting a police officer, one count of resisting arrest and one count of being drunk and disorderly in a public place.”
Tomkins was released on bail and is scheduled to appear in court on January 9th.
In an odd turn of events, Tomkins arrest came on the same day that West Ham released their Christmas Advent Calendar on YouTube, in which he and fellow defender Jack Collison promote sensible drinking over the holidays.
After failing to feature in the Hammers first five league matches of the season Tomkins was handed his chance in the 0-1 loss to Hull City on September 28th and hasn’t looked back since, starting 12 straight matches at center-back.
The club has yet to comment on any discipline Tomkins may face from the incident.
- Premier League Playback: When will Arsenal, Liverpool snap out of their funk? 1
- 2014’s Top Ten moments in Premier League – Numbers 5-1 3
- Watch Live: Stoke City vs. Chelsea (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- 2014’s Top Ten moments in Premier League – Numbers 10-6 0
- NBC Sports to air first-ever “Premier League Breakaway” show on New Year’s Day 0
- DeAndre Yedlin granted work permit, heading to Tottenham Hotspur 3