Dec 23, 2013, 8:09 AM EDT
The 24-year-old was arrested early Sunday morning at the Sugar Hut nightclub in his home town of Brentwood, just outside London.
Essex police released the following statement: “Police were called by security staff … shortly before 12.30am on Sunday following reports of a disturbance.
“Officers arrived and arrested James Tomkins before later charging him with one count of assaulting a police officer, one count of resisting arrest and one count of being drunk and disorderly in a public place.”
Tomkins was released on bail and is scheduled to appear in court on January 9th.
In an odd turn of events, Tomkins arrest came on the same day that West Ham released their Christmas Advent Calendar on YouTube, in which he and fellow defender Jack Collison promote sensible drinking over the holidays.
After failing to feature in the Hammers first five league matches of the season Tomkins was handed his chance in the 0-1 loss to Hull City on September 28th and hasn’t looked back since, starting 12 straight matches at center-back.
The club has yet to comment on any discipline Tomkins may face from the incident.
- Mourinho rips Top 4 rivals at awards dinner; Takes extra shot at Wenger’s Arsenal 0
- Premier League Grades: How did each team fare in 2014-15? 5
- Premier League Playback: Looking back at a memorable 2014-15 season 0
- Didier Drogba open to Major League Soccer move after leaving Chelsea 8
- Real Madrid president asked what’s wrong with Carlo Ancelotti: “I don’t know” 2
- In a career full of blunders, firing Carlo Ancelotti is Florentino Perez’s worst mistake yet 7