Dec 24, 2013, 11:58 PM EDT
Out since Swansea’s Nov. 15 trip to Norwich, Swans’ forward Michu is facing another month and a half on the sideline after it was determined the Spanish international needs ankle surgery. According to reports out of England, Michu will miss the next month-and-half once undergoing a procedure next week, with the 27-year-old’s absence leaving the League Cup holders looking for forwards in the January transfer market.
After missing most of November with the injury, Michu appeared on Dec. 9 (against Hull) and Dec. 15 (at Norwich), scoreless outings that left him with two goals in 10 starts. Last season, the former Rayo Vallecano midfielder scored 18 times in 35 league games. In February, Michu scored Swansea’s second goal as Swans claimed their first major piece of silverware, defeating Bradford City in the League Cup final.
But with Swansea already struggling to replicate last year’s success, the loss of the team’s biggest goalscoring threat represents a major loss. Whereas last season ended with the Cup-winning Swans cruising to a ninth place finish, Swansea currently sit 11th in the Premier League (albeit with a higher scoring rate than last season).
“It’s not good news,” Laudrup said (with England’s Press Association report available here). “Unfortunately it has been confirmed that he will need an operation. It can be done in the next week and he should be back playing in around a month and a half.”
With Nathan Dyer (the team’s co-leading scorer) out until February and summer signing Wilfried Bony yet to forge his way into the starting lineup, Laudrup’s set to dip into the transfer market in January, hoping to compensate for Michu’s loss.
“What has happened in the last couple of weeks has changed things.” Laudrup said, referring to Dyer and Michu’s injuries. “We will probably do something now in January and try to add something that we don’t have in certain positions.
“The numbers are a bit down and that is risky for the last four months of the season.”
- Done Deals: Recapping Man United (and others’) busy day — De Gea drama; Chicharito out; $56 million for Martial 0
- Report: De Gea moving to Madrid as Costa Rican hero Navas heads to Old Trafford 4
- Fireworks as transfer deadline passes in Germany: Draxler to Wolfsburg, Januzaj to Dortmund 1
- Premier League Playback: It’s time to change the Transfer Window rules 2
- Draxler, Pogba, Januzaj headline 10 deals to monitor as we near Transfer Deadline Day 1
- Manchester United to add new $56 million striker as Monaco’s Martial leaves France duty 1