Dec 26, 2013, 6:32 AM EDT
There’s commitment to the cause, and then there’s this.
Southampton and England attacker Adam Lallana has burst onto the international scene in the last few months, with many tipping him for a place in Roy Hodgson’s England squad at the 2014 World Cup.
However Lallana, 25, had one small issue though… he was meant to be getting married during the World Cup. But don’t worry, he’s taken care of that.
Not wanting to let his country down and miss the World Cup due to his forthcoming nuptials, Saints’ captain switched a lavish summer wedding for a courthouse in the Dorset town of Pool on Christmas Eve. Lallana then linked up with his teammates before their crucial clash away in the Welsh capital versus Cardiff on Boxing Day.
The star winger was supposed to marry Emily Jubb on June 14, the day of England’s first group game against Italy in Manuas. But Lallana’s form this season has been so impressive for Southampton, and for England in his first two appearance against Chile and Germany back in November, that he’s almost considered a guaranteed pick for Hodgson’s 23-man roster.
I’m sure he will still have a monster celebration when he returns to England after the World Cup this summer, but tying the knot hastily on Christmas Eve is a big indication that Hodgson has given Lallana the thumbs up and perhaps a quite word in his ear that he should plan on being in Brazil. England’s manager was certainly delighted with the skillful attackers displays in the recent friendlies.
“Yes he has [impressed], there is no doubt about that,” Hodgson said. “He was very good. I was very happy with his two performances. He has shown he is comfortable on this stage and has a lot of skill. He’s been a major find.”
A big summer for England and Lallana lies ahead, but now he’s wedding has been sorted out he can focus on helping the Three Lions excel in Brazil. If selected…
- Klinsmann’s USMNT struggles, experimentation in friendlies: Does it really matter? 2
- Klinsmann explains philosophy behind mad scientist lineups, formations for USMNT 4
- Russia wants full points from match abandoned after Akinfeev struck in head by flare (video) 0
- MLS preview: FC Dallas vs. Sounders, Whitecaps vs. Timbers headline Week 4 0
- Report: Liverpool’s Daniel Sturridge to miss a month with hip injury 7
- EURO 2016 preview: Qualifying resumes for England, Spain, Germany, Italy 0