Dec 26, 2013, 6:50 AM EDT
On Boxing Day morning, U.S. striker Aron Johannsson gave his Twitter followers a cryptic message and a rather telling photo.
The AZ Alkmaar striker snapped a picture at Glasgow Airport, adding more fuel to the fire that he’s on the verge of joining Scottish Champions Celtic in the January transfer window.
But then the AZ striker Tweeted out another photo that he’s off to Dubai. Silly season is officially here.
Johannsson, 23, has been in sensational form for AZ this season and has already scored 11 goals in 25 appearances for the Dutch side. Those stats, coupled with his performances for the U.S. national team, has seen plenty of teams taking a look at the Icelandic-American youngster and it seems as though Celtic have jumped ahead of the queue.
As PST’s Steve Davis mentioned on Monday, Johannsson’s move to Celtic is riddled with potential problems and could see him take a backwards step as the Dutch league is arguably a lot stronger than the Scottish top-flight.
Anyway, here’s the Tweet Johannsson sent out. Make of it what you will, but rumors persist that a winter switch to Scotland and one of the best-supported clubs in world soccer could be on the horizon for the talented USMNT forward.
- DC United extends Ben Olsen’s contract after bounceback season 0
- Premier League Download: Tale of the newly-promoted teams 0
- FIFA Executive: “The 2022 World Cup in Qatar will not happen” 7
- Premier League Playback: Legendary Lampard strikes, United’s shambolic implosion 1
- Men in Blazers podcast: A Night of 1,000 Stars 0
- Report: Sami Khedira to seal $20 million Arsenal move in January 2