Dec 26, 2013, 12:23 PM EDT
Aston villa proved that possession counts for just nine-tenths of the law, with Crystal Palace grabbing a last minute goal to take all three points away from Villa Park. That’s Villa’s fourth straight loss and Paul Lambert must be having a bit of trouble sleeping at night, particularly now that his side are just three points above the drop. Tony Pulis, meanwhile, is proving his worth at Palace, having pulled his side to just above the relegation zone.
With neither side too adept at scoring, it was no surprise that the first half ended without a single goal scored. Villa enjoyed the majority of the possession, but without either goalkeeper being forced into a save, it mattered little.
On the other side, Yannick Bolasie came closest for Crystal Palace, but his shot from about 20 yards went wide.
While the hosts had the majority of the possession, they failed to make very much of it. And Palace refused to give up, continuing to press for all three points until the very end.
That pressure paid off in stoppage time. Just a few minutes after Jordan Bowery, on for Kozák, had his shot tipped over the bar, the visitors pulled out the winner.
Two of Pulis’s substitutes paired up to create the goal. Dean Moxey sent the ball out to Dwight Gayle, who did well to curl his shot into the top corner — and to lift his side out of the relegation zone.
Aston Villa: Guzan, Lowton, Clark, Baker, Luna (Bacuna 67), Albrighton, El Ahmadi, Weimann (Tonev 87), Delph, Agbonlahor, Kozák (Bowery 77)
Crystal Palace: Speroni, Mariappa, Delaney, Gabbidon, Parr, Ward, Jedinak, Bolasie, Puncheon (Williams 65), Bannan (Moxey 86), Jerome (Gayle 72)
- Captain Clint fires Seattle Sounders to US Open Cup crown in 3-1 extra time win over Philadelphia 6
- Report: FA to overhaul work permit rules to cut down on non-EU players 4
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Liverpool win late; Real Madrid, Dortmund victorious 0
- Borussia Dortmund 2-0 Arsenal: Gunners outclassed by BVB 6
- Liverpool 2-1 Ludogorets: Gerrard grabs last-gasp winner after scare 0
- Premier League player of month on pace for 67 goals (video) 0