Dec 26, 2013, 7:40 AM EST
Last week, Brendan Rodgers said that the Premier League title is Manchester City’s to lose. Now, ahead of the visit to the Etihad Stadium on Boxing Day, the Liverpool manager says his club, currently sitting top of the table, have nothing to fear.
“We arrive there with no fear,” said Rodgers. “We outplayed Manchester City last year, home and away. We had two draws and we should have won both games but we will go there with every respect for them.”
The Reds’ boss remains unfazed by Manchester City’s perfect home record. The span of eight matches has seen the Citizens knock in 35 goals, including six each against Tottenham and Arsenal. But Rodgers, perhaps buoyed by Liverpool’s own 5-0 thrashing of Spurs, remains confident, saying “For us, we will go there and play our game. We will go there and be aggressive and to press the football.”
With such an approach, it’s tough to believe the closing match of the Boxing Day program won’t be an exciting one. Luis Suárez, who put in two last time out against Cardiff City for a total of 19 goals in 12 games, will look to hit 20 before the year is out. But the hosts have Sergio Agüero, whose total of 13 goals on the season isn’t too shabby, particularly when combined with the 9 from Yaya Touré and 7 from Álvaro Negredo.
Considering City’s impressive home record, and Liverpool’s promise to be aggressive, this match should be marked as a “can’t-miss.” You can catch all the action at 12:30 p.m. ET, live on NBCSN and online via NBC Sports Live Extra.
- Americans Abroad Preview: European-based Americans back in action 0
- PST writers predict the 2014 Major League Soccer standings, do you agree? 3
- After monumental rebuild, Seattle Sounders target MLS Cup title. Can Sigi Schmid bring success? 3
- 2014 Season Preview: Welcome to the last year of MLS 2.0 4
- WATCH: Premier League TV Schedule – Week 29 0
- MLS Preview: Seattle Sounders vs. Sporting Kansas City 0
- Everton is Focused on Beating Arsenal
- Moyes and Martinez Back Cleverley
- Luis Suarez Continues to Say the Right Things
- RSL 2014 Season Preview
- Portland Timbers Season Preview
- Toronto FC Season Preview
- Duvall, Oyongo & Stevenson Sign Contracts with NY Red Bulls
- Moyes Writes Open Letter to Man United Fans
- San Jose Earthquakes: Players To Watch In 2014 Season
- A Good Start Would Go A Long Way for the Chicago Fire