Dec 26, 2013, 12:07 PM EDT
West Brom lift themselves up to 15th, although they remain just one point out of the relegation zone, after earning a draw against Spurs. Meanwhile, Tottenham fall down into eighth thanks to Manchester United’s win over Hull earlier in the day.
The first half saw Spurs take the lead in the 36th minute, only to lose it two minutes later: a perfect example of how Tim Sherwood may have brought the fun back to Tottenham, but certainly hasn’t managed to tighten down their defenses.
Christian Eriksen opened the scoring with a free kick from 20 yards out. The Dane sent his shot flying over the wall and crashing into the crossbar. The ball bounced and hit the crossbar once more, giving Ben Foster no chance to save.
But Eriksen quickly fell from grace, giving away a free kick moments after scoring. The Spurs defense failed to deal with Craig Dawson‘s free kick, allowing it to fall to Jonas Olsson. At just six yards out, the defender had no trouble tapping the ball in for West Brom’s equalizer.
Sherwood’s lively team pushed for the winner at White Hart Lane, but the Baggies stood firm.
In fact, their last real chance of any note came from Zoltán Gera, whose close range shot was rescued by Hugo Lloris. For the final 30 minutes, West Brom sat back and invited pressure.
But the hosts weren’t able to take advantage. Spurs’ best chance came ten minutes before the end. Roberto Soldado headed on a corner kick, but for reasons that shall remain unknown, there was no Tottenham player there to follow up, and the chance went begging.
Tottenham: Lloris; Walker, Chiriches, Dawson, Rose; Chadli (Lamela 75), Eriksen, Holtby (Bentaleb 63), Sigurdsson; Adebayor, Soldado
West Brom: Foster, Lugano, Olsson, Dawson, Reid, Amalfitano (Mulumbu 71), Yacob, Morrison, Ridgewell, Gera (Sessegnon 77), Vydra (Berahino 84)
- Chile 0-0 (4-1 PKs) Argentina: Chile’s first Copa America title in 99-year history (video) 1
- Lloyd, Brian prove crucial to United States’ turnaround at Women’s World Cup 1
- Report: Robin van Persie agrees to personal terms with Fenerbahce 3
- Copa America Final preview: Argentina looks for first title since 1993 against hosts Chile 0
- Transfer Rumor Roundup: KPB to Orlando City, Liverpool in for Brazilian teen 4
- Klinsmann on USMNT’s win over Guatemala: “I’m not happy with that performance” 3