Dec 26, 2013, 9:42 AM EDT
Aston Villa are in desperate need of a win as they take on relegation-threatened Crystal Palace at Villa Park (10 a.m. ET; watch live online via NBC Sports Live Extra).
Frustration with Paul Lambert is growing amidst Villa fans, and the manager knows his side need to collect all three points, particularly in front of the home support. He’s going to have to do it without Christian Benteke, however, as the club revealed the Belgian is still suffering from injury — a fact that may account for his ten games without a goal. The Villa will be looking to Libor Kozák today, as well as hoping Andi Weimann can get back in form, or perhaps that Gabby Agbonlahor can score.
Palace, meanwhile, will just be hoping anyone can score, as the visitors hold the dubious honor of having scored the least goals in the league thus far. It won’t help that top scorer Marouane Chamakh, who has 4 of Palace’s 11 goals, sits out a one-match ban. It’ll be up to Cameron Jerome, who has just one goal for his club, although Barry Bannan would certainly love to knock one in against his former side.
Aston Villa: Guzan, Lowton, Clark, Baker, Luna, Albrighton, El Ahmadi, Weimann, Delph, Agbonlahor, Kozák
Subs: Steer, Bacuna, Helenius, Bowery, Sylla, Gardner, Tonev
Crystal Palace: Speroni, Mariappa, Delaney, Gabbidon, Parr, Ward, Jedinak, Bolasie, Puncheon, Bannan, Jerome
Subs: Price, Moxey, Campana, Boateng, Jonny Williams, Gayle, Phillips
- Stars of CONCACAF: Ranking the top 10 players at the 2015 Gold Cup 5
- “Angel Di Maria has most talent at Manchester United,” says teammate. Agree? 8
- VIDEO: Breaking down the done deals and transfer gossip in PST Extra 0
- Liverpool complete $20 million signing of Nathaniel Clyne from Southampton 1
- Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup roundup: Union, Orlando, Chicago move on as Charlotte bounced 2
- With the World Cup on the line, the USWNT gave us a vintage performance to savor 3