Dec 26, 2013, 9:42 AM EDT
Aston Villa are in desperate need of a win as they take on relegation-threatened Crystal Palace at Villa Park (10 a.m. ET; watch live online via NBC Sports Live Extra).
Frustration with Paul Lambert is growing amidst Villa fans, and the manager knows his side need to collect all three points, particularly in front of the home support. He’s going to have to do it without Christian Benteke, however, as the club revealed the Belgian is still suffering from injury — a fact that may account for his ten games without a goal. The Villa will be looking to Libor Kozák today, as well as hoping Andi Weimann can get back in form, or perhaps that Gabby Agbonlahor can score.
Palace, meanwhile, will just be hoping anyone can score, as the visitors hold the dubious honor of having scored the least goals in the league thus far. It won’t help that top scorer Marouane Chamakh, who has 4 of Palace’s 11 goals, sits out a one-match ban. It’ll be up to Cameron Jerome, who has just one goal for his club, although Barry Bannan would certainly love to knock one in against his former side.
Aston Villa: Guzan, Lowton, Clark, Baker, Luna, Albrighton, El Ahmadi, Weimann, Delph, Agbonlahor, Kozák
Subs: Steer, Bacuna, Helenius, Bowery, Sylla, Gardner, Tonev
Crystal Palace: Speroni, Mariappa, Delaney, Gabbidon, Parr, Ward, Jedinak, Bolasie, Puncheon, Bannan, Jerome
Subs: Price, Moxey, Campana, Boateng, Jonny Williams, Gayle, Phillips
- Mats Hummels says his future is at Dortmund 0
- UEFA Champions League preview: Liverpool face Basel, Arsenal defend the Emirates 1
- Why do Manchester City struggle so much in the Champions League? 0
- Xavi breaks record for Champions League appearances 0
- UEFA Champions League roundup: PSG beat Barcelona, Chelsea top Sporting 2
- Manchester City 1-1 AS Roma: Italians frustrate City as European woe continues 0