Dec 26, 2013, 9:42 AM EDT
Aston Villa are in desperate need of a win as they take on relegation-threatened Crystal Palace at Villa Park (10 a.m. ET; watch live online via NBC Sports Live Extra).
Frustration with Paul Lambert is growing amidst Villa fans, and the manager knows his side need to collect all three points, particularly in front of the home support. He’s going to have to do it without Christian Benteke, however, as the club revealed the Belgian is still suffering from injury — a fact that may account for his ten games without a goal. The Villa will be looking to Libor Kozák today, as well as hoping Andi Weimann can get back in form, or perhaps that Gabby Agbonlahor can score.
Palace, meanwhile, will just be hoping anyone can score, as the visitors hold the dubious honor of having scored the least goals in the league thus far. It won’t help that top scorer Marouane Chamakh, who has 4 of Palace’s 11 goals, sits out a one-match ban. It’ll be up to Cameron Jerome, who has just one goal for his club, although Barry Bannan would certainly love to knock one in against his former side.
Aston Villa: Guzan, Lowton, Clark, Baker, Luna, Albrighton, El Ahmadi, Weimann, Delph, Agbonlahor, Kozák
Subs: Steer, Bacuna, Helenius, Bowery, Sylla, Gardner, Tonev
Crystal Palace: Speroni, Mariappa, Delaney, Gabbidon, Parr, Ward, Jedinak, Bolasie, Puncheon, Bannan, Jerome
Subs: Price, Moxey, Campana, Boateng, Jonny Williams, Gayle, Phillips
- New York City FC to announce “major signing” on Thursday… Frank Lampard? 1
- PHOTOS: What if your college was a professional soccer team? They could look like this 7
- Omar Gonzalez still dreams of Europe but “committed to the Galaxy” 1
- EXCLUSIVE: Luke Shaw speaks out about Manchester United move 3
- Pep Guardiola praises Jurgen Klinsmann’s team concept, USMNT movement 3
- Premier League teams on US Soil: Tuesday’s roundup and look ahead 4