After learning from Reis, Shuttleworth aims for starting gig in New England

Dec 27, 2013, 8:34 AM EST

New England Revolution v Houston Dynamo Getty Images

The retirement of Matt Reis means there’s a question as to who’ll be between the sticks for the New England Revolution for the first season in a long, long time. The Revs have taken steps to firm up their defense, but the battle for the starting goalkeeper job will be among the most-monitored in New England.

Bobby Shuttleworth, Luis Soffner and newly-reacquired Brad Knighton will compete for the gig in camp. Whoever wins the job will be undertaking a huge task, as Reis’ leadership loomed large.

“Matt was probably the biggest part of our locker room,” Shuttleworth said. “He’s such a charismatic guy and he’s such a good person that you can’t help but listen to what he has to say and want to follow him. He definitely gives out an aura where he’s completely in control all the time and that kinda puts everyone else at ease.”

Shuttleworth signed for the Revs after his junior year at the University at Buffalo. The Tonawanda, N.Y., native said Reis was instrumental in his acclimation to a professional career.

“It wasn’t just the type of thing where I could watch him and soak it in,” Shuttleworth said. “He would go out of his way to help me and see things that maybe I wasn’t seeing. There’s not enough things in the world that I could say about the guy as a player, as a person and as an leader. He filled every single role that you could want.”

Now Shuttleworth has the chance to take the mantle from Reis. While the club traded a 2015 conditional draft pick for Knighton on Dec. 11 ahead of the Re-Entry draft, Shuttleworth has more immediate familiarity with the system and made his strongest case during a four-game shutout streak last summer.

“At the time, it was just trying to take it game for game and not trying to look at that kinda stuff,” Shuttleworth said. “I was trying to keep my form in each individual games. Unfortunately we went on a little bit of a bad run there and I was one of the guys who got placed out of the lineup.”

In mid-June, Shuttleworth was leading MLS in goals against average and save percentage after leading clean sheet efforts against Houston, Toronto, Los Angeles and DC United. Those numbers rose and Reis returned. The veteran’s retirement sets up an interesting training camp battle with Knighton and Soffner.

Shuttleworth posted a 1.31 goals against average and stopped 67 percent of shots while posting nine clean sheets and a 7-11-5 record in 22 starts, while Knighton posted a slightly higher GAA (1.36) and save percentage (70) in posting two clean sheets and a 6-3-2 record for Vancouver, where he spent 2012-13 after playing 2010 for Philadelphia and 2007-09 with New England.

“Obviously they went and traded for Brad and I have a previous relationship with Brad and we work really well together,” Shuttleworth said. “There’s no expectations at this point for myself. Obviously I want to be playing so that’s one thing in my mind is I need to come into preseason and establish myself right away and hope that all those games I played in last year translate into this season.”

“The talks I’ve had with (the coaching staff) are that I need to come into preseason and work hard. I’m not expecting anything to be given to me. Last year, was probably my best year. I played in 20-something games and had a good run of form. I just want that to translate into next season. ”

And if all goes well, he’ll move past an odd preseason to play against his former teammate, now the goalkeeper coach in Los Angeles.

“The first thing that’s going to be weird is he’s not going to be in the locker room or at training,” Shuttleworth said. “Matt and I have a great relationship so it’s going to be weird to see him with another crest on his shirt, for sure.”

Regardless of how it turns out, Shuttleworth has come a long way from his offseason signing in 2009. He credits Shalrie Joseph, Steve Ralston, Jay Heaps and Reis for helping him transition from college star into the role of a professional.

“It wasn’t easy at first. I got here in the summer of 2009 so I came in midseason so I didn’t really know anyone. I didn’t get that rookie time during preseason to get to know everyone and know each other. That first half year was definitely a big struggle for me. I didn’t really know anyone on the team. I was kinda just coming to training and going home. I was away from my family and it was definitely hard to go from one of the biggest leaders on a team to being someone who doesn’t really have a voice at all. I kinda bided my time and tried to learn as much as I could from the coaching staff and Matt and other players on the team. Just kinda put in my work, put my head time and hope for the best. You try to do all the right things to try to move up.”

Latest Posts
  1. Radamel Falcao’s agent: I wish Sir Alex Ferguson was in charge, not Louis van Gaal

Jan 24, 2015, 11:00 PM EST

Radamel Falcao & Louis van Gaal, Manchester United Radamel Falcao & Louis van Gaal, Manchester United

The bitterness is flowing freely from Falcao’s agent as he plots the Colombian striker’s next move to a “world’s best-seven team.”

2. Italy head coach Antonio Conte supports Sebastian Giovinco’s move to MLS

Jan 24, 2015, 8:45 PM EST

Antonio Conte & Sebastian Giovinco, Juventus Antonio Conte & Sebastian Giovinco, Juventus

If MLS is good enough for Italian national teamers, why isn’t it good enough for U.S. national teamers?

3. La Liga & Serie A roundup: Barcelona, Madrid clubs win; AC Milan continue to free fall

Jan 24, 2015, 7:45 PM EST

Lionel Messi and Neymar, FC Barcelona Getty Images

Barcelona were stunning as they put a half-dozen past Elche, while Real stumbled to victory. Elsewhere, AC Milan are very bad.

4. USMNT U-20s defeat El Salvador, 2-0, qualify for 2015 U-20 World Cup

Jan 24, 2015, 7:04 PM EST

FIFA U20 World Cup Trophy Tour Auckland Getty Images

The Baby Yanks are headed back to the Big Dance this summer.

5. Sunday’s FA Cup preview: Arsenal, West Ham hope to avoid fate similar to other PL sides

Jan 24, 2015, 5:45 PM EST

FA Cup trophy FA Cup trophy

A number of PL giants fell on Saturday, leaving Arsenal, West Ham and Aston Villa shaking in their boots.

6. Jurgen Klinsmann names 23-man roster for USMNT friendlies vs. Chile, Panama

Jan 24, 2015, 4:54 PM EST

Jurgen Klinsmann & DeAndre Yedlin, USMNT Getty Images

The squad is set for the first games of 2015, following a late addition and a number of cuts.

7. Africa Cup of Nations roundup: Ivory Coast, Cameroon in 1-1 draws as Group D up for grabs

Jan 24, 2015, 4:20 PM EST

Bakary Sako, Mali Bakary Sako, Mali

After four games played, absolutely nothing separates any of the four teams in Group D. Nothing.

8. Mourinho on loss: “Me and the players must feel ashamed”

Jan 24, 2015, 3:23 PM EST

Chelsea v Bradford City - FA Cup Fourth Round Getty Images

“Frustration is not the right word, embarrassed would be more appropriate.”

9. Transfer rumor roundup: Cisse to China, Paulista to Arsenal official?

Jan 24, 2015, 2:51 PM EST

Newcastle United v Everton - Premier League Getty Images

Catch up on all the latest rumors and gossip, right here.

10. Ronaldo sees red as Bale saves Real

Jan 24, 2015, 2:08 PM EST

ron.red Getty Images

Cristiano Ronaldo was sent off for Real Madrid, but Gareth Bale saved three points with a late-game penalty.

11. FA Cup roundup: Top-three Premier League teams all eliminated at home

Jan 24, 2015, 1:16 PM EST

che.bra Getty Images

Chelsea, Manchester City and Southampton were all upset in one of the craziest rounds in FA Cup history.

12. Manchester City 0-2 Middlesbrough: Premier League champions shocked at home

Jan 24, 2015, 12:29 PM EST

boro Getty Images

Another Premier League giant is out of the FA Cup as Middlesbrough got the result of a lifetime.

13. Third-tier Bradford City come from behind to stun Chelsea 4-2

Jan 24, 2015, 12:05 PM EST

Chelsea v Bradford City - FA Cup Fourth Round Getty Images

Madness at Stamford Bridge as The Bantams came from two goals down to knock Chelsea out of the FA Cup.

14. LIVE – Manchester City down 1-0 to Championship side Middlesbrough

Jan 24, 2015, 11:38 AM EST

bamford Getty Images

Middlesbrough are poised to knock the defending Premier League champions out of the FA Cup.

15. LIVE – Goals galore at St. Mary’s as Palace lead 3-2 at half

Jan 24, 2015, 11:04 AM EST

Southampton v Crystal Palace - FA Cup Fourth Round Getty Images

Southampton and Crystal Palace combined to score five first-half goals in a wild FA Cup match.

16. WATCH: Gylfi Sigurdsson finds top corner from distance

Jan 24, 2015, 9:49 AM EST

gylf Getty Images

Unfortunately, the strike wasn’t enough to save Swansea City from defeat.

17. Mancini asked about Yaya Toure despite the Man City man’s status at the Etihad

Jan 24, 2015, 9:23 AM EST

Newcastle United v Manchester City - Premier League Getty Images

Knowing that Mancini knows Yaya well, we’ll present the comments in case something comes up.

18. Altidore ready for “incredible challenge” at Toronto FC; Klinsmann admits “There’s a lot at stake”

Jan 24, 2015, 8:30 AM EST

Italy US Soccer AP

Jurgen Klinsmann knows that Altidore’s move to MLS is a risk and an opportunity.

19. Report: Controversial midfielder Morrison agrees to deal with Lazio

Jan 24, 2015, 7:50 AM EST

Tottenham Hotspur v West Ham United - Premier League Getty Images

For every backheel volley highlight, there was a story like his nearly fighting Wilfried Zaha in an England U-21 match.

20. English football set to break record number of sackings in one season

Jan 23, 2015, 11:10 PM EST

FBL-ENG-PR-WEST BROM-CRYSTAL PALACE Getty Images

Check out the stats behind the sacks as the League Managers Association releases its quarterly report.

Top five Premier League goals: Week 22