After learning from Reis, Shuttleworth aims for starting gig in New England

Dec 27, 2013, 8:34 AM EDT

New England Revolution v Houston Dynamo Getty Images

The retirement of Matt Reis means there’s a question as to who’ll be between the sticks for the New England Revolution for the first season in a long, long time. The Revs have taken steps to firm up their defense, but the battle for the starting goalkeeper job will be among the most-monitored in New England.

Bobby Shuttleworth, Luis Soffner and newly-reacquired Brad Knighton will compete for the gig in camp. Whoever wins the job will be undertaking a huge task, as Reis’ leadership loomed large.

“Matt was probably the biggest part of our locker room,” Shuttleworth said. “He’s such a charismatic guy and he’s such a good person that you can’t help but listen to what he has to say and want to follow him. He definitely gives out an aura where he’s completely in control all the time and that kinda puts everyone else at ease.”

Shuttleworth signed for the Revs after his junior year at the University at Buffalo. The Tonawanda, N.Y., native said Reis was instrumental in his acclimation to a professional career.

“It wasn’t just the type of thing where I could watch him and soak it in,” Shuttleworth said. “He would go out of his way to help me and see things that maybe I wasn’t seeing. There’s not enough things in the world that I could say about the guy as a player, as a person and as an leader. He filled every single role that you could want.”

Now Shuttleworth has the chance to take the mantle from Reis. While the club traded a 2015 conditional draft pick for Knighton on Dec. 11 ahead of the Re-Entry draft, Shuttleworth has more immediate familiarity with the system and made his strongest case during a four-game shutout streak last summer.

“At the time, it was just trying to take it game for game and not trying to look at that kinda stuff,” Shuttleworth said. “I was trying to keep my form in each individual games. Unfortunately we went on a little bit of a bad run there and I was one of the guys who got placed out of the lineup.”

In mid-June, Shuttleworth was leading MLS in goals against average and save percentage after leading clean sheet efforts against Houston, Toronto, Los Angeles and DC United. Those numbers rose and Reis returned. The veteran’s retirement sets up an interesting training camp battle with Knighton and Soffner.

Shuttleworth posted a 1.31 goals against average and stopped 67 percent of shots while posting nine clean sheets and a 7-11-5 record in 22 starts, while Knighton posted a slightly higher GAA (1.36) and save percentage (70) in posting two clean sheets and a 6-3-2 record for Vancouver, where he spent 2012-13 after playing 2010 for Philadelphia and 2007-09 with New England.

“Obviously they went and traded for Brad and I have a previous relationship with Brad and we work really well together,” Shuttleworth said. “There’s no expectations at this point for myself. Obviously I want to be playing so that’s one thing in my mind is I need to come into preseason and establish myself right away and hope that all those games I played in last year translate into this season.”

“The talks I’ve had with (the coaching staff) are that I need to come into preseason and work hard. I’m not expecting anything to be given to me. Last year, was probably my best year. I played in 20-something games and had a good run of form. I just want that to translate into next season. ”

And if all goes well, he’ll move past an odd preseason to play against his former teammate, now the goalkeeper coach in Los Angeles.

“The first thing that’s going to be weird is he’s not going to be in the locker room or at training,” Shuttleworth said. “Matt and I have a great relationship so it’s going to be weird to see him with another crest on his shirt, for sure.”

Regardless of how it turns out, Shuttleworth has come a long way from his offseason signing in 2009. He credits Shalrie Joseph, Steve Ralston, Jay Heaps and Reis for helping him transition from college star into the role of a professional.

“It wasn’t easy at first. I got here in the summer of 2009 so I came in midseason so I didn’t really know anyone. I didn’t get that rookie time during preseason to get to know everyone and know each other. That first half year was definitely a big struggle for me. I didn’t really know anyone on the team. I was kinda just coming to training and going home. I was away from my family and it was definitely hard to go from one of the biggest leaders on a team to being someone who doesn’t really have a voice at all. I kinda bided my time and tried to learn as much as I could from the coaching staff and Matt and other players on the team. Just kinda put in my work, put my head time and hope for the best. You try to do all the right things to try to move up.”

Latest Posts
  1. After Women’s World Cup triumph, Wambach, Ellis face questions about 2016 Olympics

Jul 6, 2015, 8:17 PM EDT

150706-Wambach-Ellis Getty Images

Will Abby Wambach play at the 2016 Olympics in Rio? She hasn’t yet said.

2. Real Madrid rejects FC Porto bid for Iker Casillas

Jul 6, 2015, 7:20 PM EDT

Real Madrid CF v Getafe CF - La Liga Getty Images

The goalkeeper’s agent has said Casillas would like a move to Portugal, but Real is playing hardball.

3. 2015 Copa America: Champions Chile dominate Team of the Tournament

Jul 6, 2015, 6:26 PM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwnjyju2ntc3mgexowfjytvhodjkzgu5ytbhmtc3ywqw AP

In the world of South American football, everything is coming up Chile.

4. Etienne Capoue joins Watford for club record transfer fee

Jul 6, 2015, 5:31 PM EDT

FBL-EUR-C3-TOTTENHAM-ASTERAS TRIPOLIS Getty Images

After a failed spell at Tottenham, the French midfielder is now a Hornet.

5. 2015 Gold Cup preview: United States look to defend title

Jul 6, 2015, 4:37 PM EDT

Championship - 2013 CONCACAF Gold Cup Getty Images

The Gold Cup kicks off tomorrow as Jurgen Klinsmann and the USMNT look to repeat as champions of CONCACAF.

6. Barcelona officially announce signing of Arda Turan…for now

Jul 6, 2015, 3:43 PM EDT

Real Madrid CF v Club Atletico de Madrid - UEFA Champions League Quarter Final: Second Leg Getty Images

A strange clause in the contract allows Barca to sell the midfielder back to Atletico by July 20.

7. Former FIFA inspector of 2018, 2022 World Cup bids banned by FIFA; Was leery of Russia, Qatar

Jul 6, 2015, 3:22 PM EDT

DOHA, QATAR - SEPTEMBER 16:  Qatar 2022 Bid Chairman H E Sheikh Mohammed bin Khalifa Al Thani makes a presentation to chief FIFA inspector Harold Mayne-Nicholls to bring to a close FIFA's three day visit to the Gulf state at the Four Seasons hotel on September 16, 2010 in Doha, Qatar.  (Photo by Clive Rose/Getty Images for Qatar 2022) Getty Images

Like the heavily-redacted Garcia report, you can’t help but think we won’t have details until we’re watching the court cases and trials of the arraigned.

8. Bobby Wood finds a home with 2.Bundesliga side Union Berlin

Jul 6, 2015, 2:19 PM EDT

BRAUNSCHWEIG, GERMANY - APRIL 27: Bobby Wood of Aue in action during the Second Bundesliga match between Eintracht Braunschweig and Erzgebirge Aue at Eintracht Stadion on April 27, 2015 in Braunschweig, Germany.  (Photo by Stuart Franklin/Bongarts/Getty Images) Getty Images

The striker has signed a three-year deal with the second division side.

9. Steve Nash — yes, that Steve Nash — registered with NPSL side New York Cosmos B

Jul 6, 2015, 1:46 PM EDT

Steve Nash

The Cosmos B can afford to trot out Nash, considering they are 8-0-1 with a plus-34 goal differential under head coach Alecko Eskandarian.

10. Official: Andrea Pirlo announces his arrival at New York City FC (video)

Jul 6, 2015, 11:01 AM EDT

pirlo Getty Images

Pirlo says an American arrival has been in the cards for a while.

11. GLORY IN PHOTOS: Our favorite shots from the USWNT’s winning evening in Vancouver

Jul 6, 2015, 9:51 AM EDT

VANCOUVER, BC - JULY 05:  Julie Johnston #19 of United States of America celebrates after winning the  FIFA Women's World Cup 2015 final match between USA and Japan at BC Place Stadium on July 5, 2015 in Vancouver, Canada.  (Photo by Maddie Meyer - FIFA/FIFA via Getty Images) Getty Images

Plenty more flag-waving winners, emotional players, and post-World Cup couple smooches leap off the Women’s World Cup wire. Shall we look at a few?

12. With legendary Wambach serving as super sub, the USWNT spun a team title tale

Jul 6, 2015, 9:17 AM EDT

USA's head coach Jill Ells (R) celebrate their win over Japan with Abby Wambach after the 2015 FIFA Women's World Cup final at BC Place Stadium in Vancouver, British Columbia on July 5, 2015.   AFP PHOTO/NICHOLAS KAMM        (Photo credit should read NICHOLAS KAMM/AFP/Getty Images) Getty Images

The U.S. women are World Cup champions for the third time thanks to a full team effort that belied its star-first reputation.

13. CONCACAF lays out reform plan post-scandal: “People are right to be skeptical”

Jul 6, 2015, 8:23 AM EDT

MIAMI BEACH, FL - MAY 27:  FBI agents carry boxes from the headquarters of CONCACAF after it was raided on May 27, 2015 in Miami Beach, Florida. The raid is part of an international investigation of FIFA where nine FIFA officials and five corporate executives were charged with racketeering, wire fraud and money laundering conspiracies.  (Photo by Joe Skipper/Getty Images) Getty Images

CONCACAF lawyer Sam Gandhi’s tone hits all the right conciliatory notes, something that FIFA has been unable to do it in its response under Sepp Blatter.

14. Southampton, Atletico Madrid in legal battle over Alderweireld rights as Spurs, City wait

Jul 6, 2015, 7:57 AM EDT

Aston Villa v Southampton - Premier League Getty Images

Despite the love heaped on Clyne and Ryan Bertrand last season, Alderweireld was perhaps only second to Jose Fonte in the Saints’ defensive performance pecking order.

15. Rory McIlroy “ruptures ankle ligaments” playing soccer, all but certain to miss Open

Jul 6, 2015, 6:24 AM EDT

Source: RoryMcIlroy Instagram Source: RoryMcIlroy Instagram

McIlroy looks highly unlikely to be teeing it up at St. Andrews in 10 days time.

16. United States women overcame growing pains to peak when it mattered

Jul 6, 2015, 3:06 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

The U.S. women always said they would peak at the right moment, and they did exactly that.

17. Set pieces prove to be Japan’s undoing in Women’s World Cup final loss

Jul 6, 2015, 2:41 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Japan came out shockingly flat in the World Cup final, conceding four goals in 16 minutes.

PST Extra: Done deals & transfer gossip