After learning from Reis, Shuttleworth aims for starting gig in New England

Dec 27, 2013, 8:34 AM EST

New England Revolution v Houston Dynamo Getty Images

The retirement of Matt Reis means there’s a question as to who’ll be between the sticks for the New England Revolution for the first season in a long, long time. The Revs have taken steps to firm up their defense, but the battle for the starting goalkeeper job will be among the most-monitored in New England.

Bobby Shuttleworth, Luis Soffner and newly-reacquired Brad Knighton will compete for the gig in camp. Whoever wins the job will be undertaking a huge task, as Reis’ leadership loomed large.

“Matt was probably the biggest part of our locker room,” Shuttleworth said. “He’s such a charismatic guy and he’s such a good person that you can’t help but listen to what he has to say and want to follow him. He definitely gives out an aura where he’s completely in control all the time and that kinda puts everyone else at ease.”

Shuttleworth signed for the Revs after his junior year at the University at Buffalo. The Tonawanda, N.Y., native said Reis was instrumental in his acclimation to a professional career.

“It wasn’t just the type of thing where I could watch him and soak it in,” Shuttleworth said. “He would go out of his way to help me and see things that maybe I wasn’t seeing. There’s not enough things in the world that I could say about the guy as a player, as a person and as an leader. He filled every single role that you could want.”

Now Shuttleworth has the chance to take the mantle from Reis. While the club traded a 2015 conditional draft pick for Knighton on Dec. 11 ahead of the Re-Entry draft, Shuttleworth has more immediate familiarity with the system and made his strongest case during a four-game shutout streak last summer.

“At the time, it was just trying to take it game for game and not trying to look at that kinda stuff,” Shuttleworth said. “I was trying to keep my form in each individual games. Unfortunately we went on a little bit of a bad run there and I was one of the guys who got placed out of the lineup.”

In mid-June, Shuttleworth was leading MLS in goals against average and save percentage after leading clean sheet efforts against Houston, Toronto, Los Angeles and DC United. Those numbers rose and Reis returned. The veteran’s retirement sets up an interesting training camp battle with Knighton and Soffner.

Shuttleworth posted a 1.31 goals against average and stopped 67 percent of shots while posting nine clean sheets and a 7-11-5 record in 22 starts, while Knighton posted a slightly higher GAA (1.36) and save percentage (70) in posting two clean sheets and a 6-3-2 record for Vancouver, where he spent 2012-13 after playing 2010 for Philadelphia and 2007-09 with New England.

“Obviously they went and traded for Brad and I have a previous relationship with Brad and we work really well together,” Shuttleworth said. “There’s no expectations at this point for myself. Obviously I want to be playing so that’s one thing in my mind is I need to come into preseason and establish myself right away and hope that all those games I played in last year translate into this season.”

“The talks I’ve had with (the coaching staff) are that I need to come into preseason and work hard. I’m not expecting anything to be given to me. Last year, was probably my best year. I played in 20-something games and had a good run of form. I just want that to translate into next season. “

And if all goes well, he’ll move past an odd preseason to play against his former teammate, now the goalkeeper coach in Los Angeles.

“The first thing that’s going to be weird is he’s not going to be in the locker room or at training,” Shuttleworth said. “Matt and I have a great relationship so it’s going to be weird to see him with another crest on his shirt, for sure.”

Regardless of how it turns out, Shuttleworth has come a long way from his offseason signing in 2009. He credits Shalrie Joseph, Steve Ralston, Jay Heaps and Reis for helping him transition from college star into the role of a professional.

“It wasn’t easy at first. I got here in the summer of 2009 so I came in midseason so I didn’t really know anyone. I didn’t get that rookie time during preseason to get to know everyone and know each other. That first half year was definitely a big struggle for me. I didn’t really know anyone on the team. I was kinda just coming to training and going home. I was away from my family and it was definitely hard to go from one of the biggest leaders on a team to being someone who doesn’t really have a voice at all. I kinda bided my time and tried to learn as much as I could from the coaching staff and Matt and other players on the team. Just kinda put in my work, put my head time and hope for the best. You try to do all the right things to try to move up.”

Latest Posts
  1. David Moyes earns first win as Real Sociedad manager

Nov 28, 2014, 11:10 PM EST

Real Sociedad de Futbol v Elche FC - La Liga Getty Images

A Carlos Vela hat trick helped the ex-Manchester United manager earn his first win in La Liga.

2. Falcao and Rojo ready to return for United against Hull City

Nov 28, 2014, 10:15 PM EST

FBL-ENG-PR-WEST BROM-MAN UTD Getty Images

Loius van Gaal’s side received a huge boost with the news of the return of injured stars Radamel Falcao and Maros Rojo.

3. Red Bulls’ season could rest on the shoulders of Tim Cahill

Nov 28, 2014, 9:05 PM EST

New England Revolution v New York Red Bulls - Eastern Conference Final - Leg 1 Getty Images

With Bradley Wright-Phillips out due to yellow card accumulation, it could be up to Tim Cahill to produce for New York.

4. Real Madrid release statement criticizing Platini’s comments

Nov 28, 2014, 8:10 PM EST

FBL-EURO-2016-POR-ARM Getty Images

Cristiano Ronaldo’s club was upset after the UEFA president said he believed a world champion should win the Ballon d’Or.

5. Can Thibaut Courtois surpass Manuel Neuer as the world’s best?

Nov 28, 2014, 7:04 PM EST

Chelsea v Queens Park Rangers - Premier League Getty Images

According to Gary Neville, there may soon be a changing of the guards for best goalkeeper in the world.

6. Arsene Wenger: Gunners to buy during transfer window

Nov 28, 2014, 6:13 PM EST

FBL-ENG-PR-ARSENAL-MAN UTD Getty Images

No team has been hit harder by injuries than Arsenal, who will look to bolster their squad during the January transfer window.

7. UEFA schedules disciplinary hearing after pitch invasions at Spurs match

Nov 28, 2014, 5:20 PM EST

FBL-EUR-C3-TOTTENHAM-PARTIZAN Getty Images

Tottenham’s Europa League match against Partizan Belgrade was briefly suspended after multiple fans stormed the pitch.

8. Premier League Preview: Sunderland vs. Chelsea

Nov 28, 2014, 4:30 PM EST

FC Schalke 04 v Chelsea FC - UEFA Champions League Getty Images

Sunderland face a daunting task as they host a Chelsea side that hasn’t lost since a friendly on August 3rd.

9. Geoff Cameron talks Thanksgiving, Stoke City vs. Liverpool and more

Nov 28, 2014, 3:50 PM EST

USA Training & Press Conference - 2014 FIFA World Cup Getty Images

Cameron talks turkey, playing at one of his favorite stadiums, sickness bugs and more in his first piece for PST.

10. Liverpool’s Rodgers calls himself the bettor’s choice to get fired

Nov 28, 2014, 2:13 PM EST

Bulgaria Soccer Champions League AP

It’s no surprise that the Liverpool manager is feeling the heat after the Reds 12th place start.

11. Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Manchester United, Chelsea, QPR

Nov 28, 2014, 2:00 PM EST

Rooney bagged what turned out to be the game-winner as United go fourth. Getty Images

Here’s how PST’s lead writer and editor sees things panning out this weekend.

12. VIDEO: Seattle Sounders supporters, culture getting just recognition

Nov 28, 2014, 1:20 PM EST

MLS Galaxy Sounders Soccer AP

It’s a vibrant and informative take on the big following in Seattle, one that even Sounders haters can respect for its size, dedication and creativity.

13. Top Five storylines for Week 13 of the Premier League

Nov 28, 2014, 12:35 PM EST

Manchester City v Southampton - Premier League Getty Images

Top Four and Bottom Three match-ups take the battle for Premier League places to a different level this weekend.

14. WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 13

Nov 28, 2014, 12:00 PM EST

PremierLeagueNBC

Where and how to watch all the PL games during Week 13.

15. Premier League Preview: Manchester United vs. Hull City

Nov 28, 2014, 11:52 AM EST

Manchester United v Hull City - Premier League Getty Images

Hull City is looking for a historic win when they visit surging Manchester United on Saturday.

16. Sure there’s “interest throughout Europe”, but where is the best spot for Jozy Altidore?

Nov 28, 2014, 11:01 AM EST

Altidore Getty Images

We pick three clubs in three countries that could be a landing spot for the out-of-favor Sunderland striker in the January transfer window.

17. Premier League Preview: West Bromwich Albion vs. Arsenal

Nov 28, 2014, 10:10 AM EST

West Bromwich Albion's Reid shouts at Arsenal's Cazorla during their English Premier League soccer match in London Reuters

The Baggies are coming off losses to Chelsea and Newcastle, and are four points back of eighth place Arsenal. The NBCSN match kicks at 745am ET.

18. Pick just three?!? FIFPro World XI midfielder shortlist is Juve-heavy, really good

Nov 28, 2014, 9:37 AM EST

FC Internazionale Milano v Juventus - Serie A Getty Images

Spain (4) and Germany (3) are the only nations with multiple members.

19. Roy Keane’s time with Aston Villa has come to an end

Nov 28, 2014, 8:35 AM EST

Aston Villa v Manchester City - Premier League Getty Images

Manchester United’s legendary midfielder will stay in his assistant coach role for Ireland, spend more time with his family.

PST Extra: Top 4 showdowns on Sunday