After learning from Reis, Shuttleworth aims for starting gig in New England

Dec 27, 2013, 8:34 AM EDT

New England Revolution v Houston Dynamo Getty Images

The retirement of Matt Reis means there’s a question as to who’ll be between the sticks for the New England Revolution for the first season in a long, long time. The Revs have taken steps to firm up their defense, but the battle for the starting goalkeeper job will be among the most-monitored in New England.

Bobby Shuttleworth, Luis Soffner and newly-reacquired Brad Knighton will compete for the gig in camp. Whoever wins the job will be undertaking a huge task, as Reis’ leadership loomed large.

“Matt was probably the biggest part of our locker room,” Shuttleworth said. “He’s such a charismatic guy and he’s such a good person that you can’t help but listen to what he has to say and want to follow him. He definitely gives out an aura where he’s completely in control all the time and that kinda puts everyone else at ease.”

Shuttleworth signed for the Revs after his junior year at the University at Buffalo. The Tonawanda, N.Y., native said Reis was instrumental in his acclimation to a professional career.

“It wasn’t just the type of thing where I could watch him and soak it in,” Shuttleworth said. “He would go out of his way to help me and see things that maybe I wasn’t seeing. There’s not enough things in the world that I could say about the guy as a player, as a person and as an leader. He filled every single role that you could want.”

Now Shuttleworth has the chance to take the mantle from Reis. While the club traded a 2015 conditional draft pick for Knighton on Dec. 11 ahead of the Re-Entry draft, Shuttleworth has more immediate familiarity with the system and made his strongest case during a four-game shutout streak last summer.

“At the time, it was just trying to take it game for game and not trying to look at that kinda stuff,” Shuttleworth said. “I was trying to keep my form in each individual games. Unfortunately we went on a little bit of a bad run there and I was one of the guys who got placed out of the lineup.”

In mid-June, Shuttleworth was leading MLS in goals against average and save percentage after leading clean sheet efforts against Houston, Toronto, Los Angeles and DC United. Those numbers rose and Reis returned. The veteran’s retirement sets up an interesting training camp battle with Knighton and Soffner.

Shuttleworth posted a 1.31 goals against average and stopped 67 percent of shots while posting nine clean sheets and a 7-11-5 record in 22 starts, while Knighton posted a slightly higher GAA (1.36) and save percentage (70) in posting two clean sheets and a 6-3-2 record for Vancouver, where he spent 2012-13 after playing 2010 for Philadelphia and 2007-09 with New England.

“Obviously they went and traded for Brad and I have a previous relationship with Brad and we work really well together,” Shuttleworth said. “There’s no expectations at this point for myself. Obviously I want to be playing so that’s one thing in my mind is I need to come into preseason and establish myself right away and hope that all those games I played in last year translate into this season.”

“The talks I’ve had with (the coaching staff) are that I need to come into preseason and work hard. I’m not expecting anything to be given to me. Last year, was probably my best year. I played in 20-something games and had a good run of form. I just want that to translate into next season. ”

And if all goes well, he’ll move past an odd preseason to play against his former teammate, now the goalkeeper coach in Los Angeles.

“The first thing that’s going to be weird is he’s not going to be in the locker room or at training,” Shuttleworth said. “Matt and I have a great relationship so it’s going to be weird to see him with another crest on his shirt, for sure.”

Regardless of how it turns out, Shuttleworth has come a long way from his offseason signing in 2009. He credits Shalrie Joseph, Steve Ralston, Jay Heaps and Reis for helping him transition from college star into the role of a professional.

“It wasn’t easy at first. I got here in the summer of 2009 so I came in midseason so I didn’t really know anyone. I didn’t get that rookie time during preseason to get to know everyone and know each other. That first half year was definitely a big struggle for me. I didn’t really know anyone on the team. I was kinda just coming to training and going home. I was away from my family and it was definitely hard to go from one of the biggest leaders on a team to being someone who doesn’t really have a voice at all. I kinda bided my time and tried to learn as much as I could from the coaching staff and Matt and other players on the team. Just kinda put in my work, put my head time and hope for the best. You try to do all the right things to try to move up.”

Latest Posts
  1. MLS Snapshot: Seattle Sounders 0-0 Sporting Kansas City

May 24, 2015, 12:10 AM EDT

Benny Feilhaber, Sporting Kansas City Benny Feilhaber, Sporting Kansas City

To grind out a point in Sporting KC’s current predicament is impressive, but the Sounders were very, very poor.

2. MLS Snapshot: Montreal Impact 2-1 FC Dallas

May 23, 2015, 10:06 PM EDT

Jack McInerney, Montreal Impact Jack McInerney, Montreal Impact

Last-place beats 1st-place — in other words, just another typical night in MLS!

3. MLS Snapshot: New England Revolution 1-1 D.C. United

May 23, 2015, 9:40 PM EDT

Jermaine Jones, New England Revolution Jermaine Jones, New England Revolution

Two New England red cards changed the course of the game, which allowed the D.C. to claw back and steal a point (barely).

4. MLS Snapshot: Toronto FC 1-0 Portland Timbers

May 23, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT

Sebastian Giovinco, Toronto FC Sebastian Giovinco, Toronto FC

At what point is it no longer “early, still plenty of time” for the Timbers? We’re almost there.

5. La Liga & Serie A roundup: Ronaldo hat trick as Real Madrid score 7; Juventus top Napoli

May 23, 2015, 6:09 PM EDT

Cristiano Ronaldo, Real Madrid CF Cristiano Ronaldo, Real Madrid CF

The final day of the La Liga season is in the books. Who finished where, and who was relegated?

6. VIDEO: Xavi Hernandez makes his final Camp Nou exit with tears in his eyes

May 23, 2015, 4:19 PM EDT

Xavi Hernandez, FC Barcelona Getty Images

After 17 year at Barcelona, Xavi will leave the club this summer. On Saturday, he said his final farewell to the Camp Nou.

7. Premier League Sunday preview: One last time, with feeling (and drama… and dread)

May 23, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT

150523-Hull-City Getty Images

All 10 matches will be on the NBC family of networks, so be sure to click and find out where your club is featuring come 10 a.m. Sunday.

8. Hull City’s Meyler on relegation scrap: “Pressure is for tires”

May 23, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT

during the Barclays Premier League match between  Tottenham Hotspur and Hull City at White Hart Lane on May 16, 2015 in London, England. Getty Images

“We know we need to win it and we know we’re more than capable of doing that,” Meyler said.

9. Newcastle’s Carver on relegation fight: “I can’t believe it’s come to the this”

May 23, 2015, 1:45 PM EDT

cD05ODdlNmNhY2MwMjRlZWQzNTJhM2ViYTQ1Y2VlY2YzOCZnPWI4ZGU3YTY4NDkzMTE1ODIzYzY1NzdlZWIyY2M3ZTE0 Getty Images

Carver’s bunch has played lackluster football while being waxed by clubs from the top and bottom of the table.

10. Dortmund exec: Chelsea wouldn’t sell us De Bruyne because they were salty over Lewandowski

May 23, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT

DeBruyne AP

Would the Blues still be champions with Lewandowski over Costa? Or would they have bought both and run rampant over Europe?

11. Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Tension galore as finale arrives

May 23, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT

Newcastle United v West Bromwich Albion - Premier League Getty Images

PST’s Lead Writer and Editor predicts the scores for Week 38.

12. Report: Ancelotti already knows he’s likely been sacked by Real Madrid

May 23, 2015, 11:57 AM EDT

Ancelotti Getty Images

The Real Madrid president reportedly met with Ancelotti’s agent to tell him they are likely going to part ways.

13. Freiberg, Paderborn relegated from Bundesliga, Hamburg in yet another playoff

May 23, 2015, 11:32 AM EDT

Stuttgart Getty Images

Stuttgart won big to earn safety and send Hamburg to another nerve-wracking playoff.

14. Borussia Dortmund fans pay tribute to Jurgen Klopp with massive tifo

May 23, 2015, 10:25 AM EDT

Klopp Getty Images

The final home match for one of Dortmund’s most successful managers is looking to be a special one at Westfalenstadion.

15. Report: Robin van Persie offered gigantic contract by Qatari club

May 23, 2015, 9:34 AM EDT

VanPersie Getty Images

The future of Robin van Persie at Old Trafford is very much in doubt as a former Premier League manager has given the Dutchman a very tough decision.

16. Sami Khedira confirms the obvious, that he will leave Real Madrid this summer

May 23, 2015, 8:50 AM EDT

Khedira Getty Images

We all knew it already, but Sami Khedira will leave Real Madrid after five seasons. Where will he land?

17. Premier League scenarios: Europa League and relegation requirements

May 23, 2015, 8:18 AM EDT

HullCity Getty Images

How can Hull City or Newcastle avoid relegation? Who will qualify for the Europa League? Find out all the scenarios for the final day here.

18. MLS Snapshot: Columbus Crew 2-2 Chicago Fire