After learning from Reis, Shuttleworth aims for starting gig in New England

Dec 27, 2013, 8:34 AM EDT

New England Revolution v Houston Dynamo Getty Images

The retirement of Matt Reis means there’s a question as to who’ll be between the sticks for the New England Revolution for the first season in a long, long time. The Revs have taken steps to firm up their defense, but the battle for the starting goalkeeper job will be among the most-monitored in New England.

Bobby Shuttleworth, Luis Soffner and newly-reacquired Brad Knighton will compete for the gig in camp. Whoever wins the job will be undertaking a huge task, as Reis’ leadership loomed large.

“Matt was probably the biggest part of our locker room,” Shuttleworth said. “He’s such a charismatic guy and he’s such a good person that you can’t help but listen to what he has to say and want to follow him. He definitely gives out an aura where he’s completely in control all the time and that kinda puts everyone else at ease.”

Shuttleworth signed for the Revs after his junior year at the University at Buffalo. The Tonawanda, N.Y., native said Reis was instrumental in his acclimation to a professional career.

“It wasn’t just the type of thing where I could watch him and soak it in,” Shuttleworth said. “He would go out of his way to help me and see things that maybe I wasn’t seeing. There’s not enough things in the world that I could say about the guy as a player, as a person and as an leader. He filled every single role that you could want.”

Now Shuttleworth has the chance to take the mantle from Reis. While the club traded a 2015 conditional draft pick for Knighton on Dec. 11 ahead of the Re-Entry draft, Shuttleworth has more immediate familiarity with the system and made his strongest case during a four-game shutout streak last summer.

“At the time, it was just trying to take it game for game and not trying to look at that kinda stuff,” Shuttleworth said. “I was trying to keep my form in each individual games. Unfortunately we went on a little bit of a bad run there and I was one of the guys who got placed out of the lineup.”

In mid-June, Shuttleworth was leading MLS in goals against average and save percentage after leading clean sheet efforts against Houston, Toronto, Los Angeles and DC United. Those numbers rose and Reis returned. The veteran’s retirement sets up an interesting training camp battle with Knighton and Soffner.

Shuttleworth posted a 1.31 goals against average and stopped 67 percent of shots while posting nine clean sheets and a 7-11-5 record in 22 starts, while Knighton posted a slightly higher GAA (1.36) and save percentage (70) in posting two clean sheets and a 6-3-2 record for Vancouver, where he spent 2012-13 after playing 2010 for Philadelphia and 2007-09 with New England.

“Obviously they went and traded for Brad and I have a previous relationship with Brad and we work really well together,” Shuttleworth said. “There’s no expectations at this point for myself. Obviously I want to be playing so that’s one thing in my mind is I need to come into preseason and establish myself right away and hope that all those games I played in last year translate into this season.”

“The talks I’ve had with (the coaching staff) are that I need to come into preseason and work hard. I’m not expecting anything to be given to me. Last year, was probably my best year. I played in 20-something games and had a good run of form. I just want that to translate into next season. “

And if all goes well, he’ll move past an odd preseason to play against his former teammate, now the goalkeeper coach in Los Angeles.

“The first thing that’s going to be weird is he’s not going to be in the locker room or at training,” Shuttleworth said. “Matt and I have a great relationship so it’s going to be weird to see him with another crest on his shirt, for sure.”

Regardless of how it turns out, Shuttleworth has come a long way from his offseason signing in 2009. He credits Shalrie Joseph, Steve Ralston, Jay Heaps and Reis for helping him transition from college star into the role of a professional.

“It wasn’t easy at first. I got here in the summer of 2009 so I came in midseason so I didn’t really know anyone. I didn’t get that rookie time during preseason to get to know everyone and know each other. That first half year was definitely a big struggle for me. I didn’t really know anyone on the team. I was kinda just coming to training and going home. I was away from my family and it was definitely hard to go from one of the biggest leaders on a team to being someone who doesn’t really have a voice at all. I kinda bided my time and tried to learn as much as I could from the coaching staff and Matt and other players on the team. Just kinda put in my work, put my head time and hope for the best. You try to do all the right things to try to move up.”

Latest Posts
  1. Fire-ravaged dog home claims Mario Balotelli made sizable donation

Sep 17, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT

Balo

A dog home ravaged by fire last week believes Mario Balotelli has made a sizable donation.

2. PST Extra: Sneak preview of Manchester City v. Chelsea

Sep 17, 2014, 10:55 PM EDT

MC CH

Joe Prince-Wright and myself sat down with Jenna Corrado to discuss what City and Chelsea each need to accomplish to secure victory.

3. ‘We Will Speak English': Louis van Gaal’s instruction to Manchester United players

Sep 17, 2014, 10:28 PM EDT

VanGaal Getty Images

Looking for complete transparency, however, Van Gaal has laid down the law: English only.

4. David Beckham’s Miami franchise could make big announcement on Thursday

Sep 17, 2014, 9:20 PM EDT

Former England soccer captain David Beckham attends the world premier of the film "The Class of 92" in London Reuters

Marcelo Claure has hinted that news regarding a potential MLS franchise in Miami could soon be on it’s way.

5. Jose Mourinho on Chelsea’s draw with Schalke: “That’s football”

Sep 17, 2014, 8:42 PM EDT

Mourinho AP

“Remy could have scored, Terry could have scored, Hazard could have scored, but that’s football,” Mourinho said.

6. Report: Man stabbed, another injured, following Roma’s 5-1 win over CSKA Moscow

Sep 17, 2014, 7:54 PM EDT

Alberto Pizzoli AFP Alberto Pizzoli AFP

Gazzetta dello Sport claims that one CSKA fan who had been stabbed in the stomach.

7. PHOTO: Ajax fans tell PSG what they think of Paris (and Ms. Hilton)

Sep 17, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT

ajax

Gotta love Ajax fans, they’re always loud, positive and pretty darn clever.

8. Julian Draxler’s stunning performance puts Chelsea, Premier League on high alert

Sep 17, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT

Chelsea FC v FC Schalke 04 - UEFA Champions League Getty Images

Living off the counter-attack, Schalke looked for Draxler every time out the gates.

9. Yaya Toure’s lackluster display stands out as Manchester City struggle

Sep 17, 2014, 6:03 PM EDT

Germany Soccer Champions League AP

Toure’s inept displays bring up question marks over his commitment to Man City.

10. UEFA Champions League roundup: Roma, Porto win big; Chelsea, PSG slip up

Sep 17, 2014, 5:12 PM EDT

Italy Soccer Champions League AP

What happened across Europe in the Champions League? Here’s a recap of all eight games.

11. Chelsea 1-1 Schalke 04: Huntelaar secures point for the underdogs

Sep 17, 2014, 4:59 PM EDT

Chelsea FC v FC Schalke 04 - UEFA Champions League Getty Images

A solid outing by Chelsea but Jose Mourinho’s side will rue their lack of finishing in the final third.

12. AS Roma 5-1 CSKA Moscow: Juan Iturbe and Gervinho tear up the Russians

Sep 17, 2014, 4:46 PM EDT

AS Roma v PFC CSKA Moskva - UEFA Champions League Getty Images

An impressive display from Roma who will fancy their chances of an upset against Manchester City and Bayern Munich in Group E.

13. Bayern Munich 1-0 Manchester City: Last-gasp win for Bayern in Bavaria

Sep 17, 2014, 4:41 PM EDT

Toure is beaten to the ball once again by Xabi Alonso. AP

Boateng’s late volley hands Bayern win against stubborn City.

14. Mario Mandzukic breaks nose, set for surgery

Sep 17, 2014, 4:07 PM EDT

mario_mandzukic Getty Images

Nothing like breaking your nose in the third minute and playing the full 90. Beast.

15. LIVE – Champions League half time update: Roma storm ahead, Bayern pressing

Sep 17, 2014, 3:33 PM EDT

Italy Soccer Champions League AP

Find out what’s going on around Europe as the group stage openers continue.

16. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer likely out at Cardiff City

Sep 17, 2014, 2:59 PM EDT

Newcastle United v Cardiff City - Premier League Getty Images

The former Manchester United legend has had difficulty finding results for the troubled Welsh side.

17. FOLLOW LIVE – Bayern Munich, Manchester City clash in Champions League

Sep 17, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT

Bayern and Man City collide for the second-straight season in the UCL. Reuters

For live updates from the Allianz Arena, look no further.

18. Paul Lambert gets extension at Aston Villa

Sep 17, 2014, 2:09 PM EDT

Aston Villa v Parma - Pre-Season Friendly Getty Images

After a hot start to their Premier League campaign, Aston Villa has extended Paul Lambert’s contract until June of 2018.

19. Happy Anniversary Messi

Sep 17, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT

FC Barcelona v Club Leon - Joan Gamper Trophy Getty Images

On this day 14 years ago, Barcelona signed Lionel Messi. The rest is history.

20. UEFA Champions League Preview: Manchester City vs. Bayern Munich

Sep 17, 2014, 12:35 PM EDT

Manchester City v Liverpool - Premier League Getty Images

European giants clash as Manchester City travels to Germany to take on the mighty Bayern squad.

Week 4: Top five Premier League goals