After learning from Reis, Shuttleworth aims for starting gig in New England

Dec 27, 2013, 8:34 AM EDT

New England Revolution v Houston Dynamo Getty Images

The retirement of Matt Reis means there’s a question as to who’ll be between the sticks for the New England Revolution for the first season in a long, long time. The Revs have taken steps to firm up their defense, but the battle for the starting goalkeeper job will be among the most-monitored in New England.

Bobby Shuttleworth, Luis Soffner and newly-reacquired Brad Knighton will compete for the gig in camp. Whoever wins the job will be undertaking a huge task, as Reis’ leadership loomed large.

“Matt was probably the biggest part of our locker room,” Shuttleworth said. “He’s such a charismatic guy and he’s such a good person that you can’t help but listen to what he has to say and want to follow him. He definitely gives out an aura where he’s completely in control all the time and that kinda puts everyone else at ease.”

Shuttleworth signed for the Revs after his junior year at the University at Buffalo. The Tonawanda, N.Y., native said Reis was instrumental in his acclimation to a professional career.

“It wasn’t just the type of thing where I could watch him and soak it in,” Shuttleworth said. “He would go out of his way to help me and see things that maybe I wasn’t seeing. There’s not enough things in the world that I could say about the guy as a player, as a person and as an leader. He filled every single role that you could want.”

Now Shuttleworth has the chance to take the mantle from Reis. While the club traded a 2015 conditional draft pick for Knighton on Dec. 11 ahead of the Re-Entry draft, Shuttleworth has more immediate familiarity with the system and made his strongest case during a four-game shutout streak last summer.

“At the time, it was just trying to take it game for game and not trying to look at that kinda stuff,” Shuttleworth said. “I was trying to keep my form in each individual games. Unfortunately we went on a little bit of a bad run there and I was one of the guys who got placed out of the lineup.”

In mid-June, Shuttleworth was leading MLS in goals against average and save percentage after leading clean sheet efforts against Houston, Toronto, Los Angeles and DC United. Those numbers rose and Reis returned. The veteran’s retirement sets up an interesting training camp battle with Knighton and Soffner.

Shuttleworth posted a 1.31 goals against average and stopped 67 percent of shots while posting nine clean sheets and a 7-11-5 record in 22 starts, while Knighton posted a slightly higher GAA (1.36) and save percentage (70) in posting two clean sheets and a 6-3-2 record for Vancouver, where he spent 2012-13 after playing 2010 for Philadelphia and 2007-09 with New England.

“Obviously they went and traded for Brad and I have a previous relationship with Brad and we work really well together,” Shuttleworth said. “There’s no expectations at this point for myself. Obviously I want to be playing so that’s one thing in my mind is I need to come into preseason and establish myself right away and hope that all those games I played in last year translate into this season.”

“The talks I’ve had with (the coaching staff) are that I need to come into preseason and work hard. I’m not expecting anything to be given to me. Last year, was probably my best year. I played in 20-something games and had a good run of form. I just want that to translate into next season. ”

And if all goes well, he’ll move past an odd preseason to play against his former teammate, now the goalkeeper coach in Los Angeles.

“The first thing that’s going to be weird is he’s not going to be in the locker room or at training,” Shuttleworth said. “Matt and I have a great relationship so it’s going to be weird to see him with another crest on his shirt, for sure.”

Regardless of how it turns out, Shuttleworth has come a long way from his offseason signing in 2009. He credits Shalrie Joseph, Steve Ralston, Jay Heaps and Reis for helping him transition from college star into the role of a professional.

“It wasn’t easy at first. I got here in the summer of 2009 so I came in midseason so I didn’t really know anyone. I didn’t get that rookie time during preseason to get to know everyone and know each other. That first half year was definitely a big struggle for me. I didn’t really know anyone on the team. I was kinda just coming to training and going home. I was away from my family and it was definitely hard to go from one of the biggest leaders on a team to being someone who doesn’t really have a voice at all. I kinda bided my time and tried to learn as much as I could from the coaching staff and Matt and other players on the team. Just kinda put in my work, put my head time and hope for the best. You try to do all the right things to try to move up.”

Latest Posts
  1. MLS Snapshot: Colorado Rapids 1-1 FC Dallas

Apr 25, 2015, 12:21 AM EDT

Colorado Rapids vs Columbus Crew Colorado Rapids vs Columbus Crew

FC Dallas took the lead into halftime, but a second half red card to Blas Perez let Colorado sneak back for a point.

2. Tony Pulis: I’m more than just an escape artist

Apr 24, 2015, 11:10 PM EDT

Crystal Palace v West Bromwich Albion - Premier League Getty Images

Tony Pulis is known for turning around struggling clubs, but the West Brom manager says he is more than just a last resort.

3. MLS Snapshot: Chicago Fire 1-0 New York City FC

Apr 24, 2015, 10:20 PM EDT

Toronto FC v Chicago Fire Getty Images

David Accam’s first MLS goal was enough for Chicago to down a NYCFC side that played more than 60 minutes a man down.

4. Americans Abroad preview: Howard and Guzan face Manchester opposition

Apr 24, 2015, 9:38 PM EDT

Everton v Burnley - Premier League Getty Images

Tim Howard takes on his former club Manchester United, while Brad Guzan looks to keep Manchester City off the scoresheet.

5. Tottenham looking to sell Adebayor at season’s end

Apr 24, 2015, 8:50 PM EDT

FBL-ENG-FA CUP-TOTTENHAM-LEICESTER Getty Images

Finding a club to pay his $150,000 per week wages is the only problem for Spurs.

6. Premier League Preview: West Bromwich Albion vs. Liverpool

Apr 24, 2015, 7:46 PM EDT

Aston Villa v Liverpool - FA Cup Semi-Final Aston Villa v Liverpool - FA Cup Semi-Final

The Baggies must defend The Hawthorns as Liverpool is barely clinging on to top-four dreams.

7. Hull City players face pay cuts up to 50-percent if relegated

Apr 24, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT

Swansea City v Hull City - Premier League Getty Images

Clinging onto safety in the Premier League, Hull City players now have some added incentive to avoid the drop.

8. Van Gaal: Ryan Giggs will be the next manager at Manchester United

Apr 24, 2015, 5:37 PM EDT

Manchester United Training and Press Conference Manchester United Training and Press Conference

Still in his first season as manager at Old Trafford, LVG has already endorsed his top assistant to be the next in line.

9. Premier League Preview: Manchester City vs. Aston Villa

Apr 24, 2015, 4:42 PM EDT

Can Tim Sherwood and Aston Villa continue their climb up the table at the Etihad?

10. SportsWorld: Jose Fonte talks playing with Ronaldo, shares thoughts on MLS

Apr 24, 2015, 3:42 PM EDT

Tottenham Hotspur v Southampton - Premier League Getty Images

PST’s Joe Prince-Wright sat down with the Southampton defender to see how the Saints’ skipper has evolved into one of the best center-backs in the Premier League.

11. VIDEO: PST Extra asks if Liverpool, Manchester City should get new managers

Apr 24, 2015, 2:50 PM EDT

Liverpool v Manchester City Getty Images

In the latest PST Extra we take a quick look at why whispers about managers losing their jobs at Liverpool, Man City are getting louder.

12. Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Time for the underdogs to shine

Apr 24, 2015, 2:06 PM EDT

Chelsea v Burnley - Premier League Getty Images

PST’s Lead Writer and Editor predicts the scores in the PL this weekend.

13. Could Tottenham share their stadium with an NFL team? Here’s how it will work

Apr 24, 2015, 1:25 PM EDT

SPURSSTADIUM1

Spurs are reportedly in talks with the NFL about housing a franchise in their new stadium.

14. VIDEO: PST Extra picks Premier League’s Best XI from 2014-15 season. Agree?

Apr 24, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT

Chelsea v Tottenham Hotspur - Premier League Getty Images

What do you think of these 11 players getting Team of the Year honors?

15. WATCH: NBC Sports’ Premier League TV schedule – Week 34

Apr 24, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT

PremierLeagueNBC

Where and how to watch every PL game during Week 34.

16. Jose Mourinho: “Arsene Wenger is not my rival” ahead of Arsenal vs. Chelsea

Apr 24, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT

WengerMourinho Getty Images

Mourinho stirs the pot before huge clash with Arsenal on Sunday.

17. Premier League Preview: Southampton vs. Tottenham Hotspur

Apr 24, 2015, 9:25 AM EDT

Tottenham Hotspur v Southampton - Premier League Getty Images

Can Saints get revenge on Pochettino as he returns to St Mary’s? Watch live, Saturday, 7:45 a.m ET.

18. Injury update on Chelsea’s Diego Costa. Is he fit for London derby vs. Arsenal?

Apr 24, 2015, 8:10 AM EDT

Chelsea v Liverpool - Capital One Cup Semi-Final: Second Leg Getty Images

Jose Mourinho has delivered an update on Costa’s progress ahead of Sunday’s big game.

19. Pochettino: Avoiding Europa League could help Spurs make Champions League next year

Apr 23, 2015, 11:17 PM EDT

Mauricio Pochettino, Tottenham Hotspur FC Getty Images

Mauricio Pochettino feels that any team not having to contend with Europa League has a better chance of qualifying for Champions League.

Should Chelsea be more entertaining?