After learning from Reis, Shuttleworth aims for starting gig in New England

Dec 27, 2013, 8:34 AM EDT

New England Revolution v Houston Dynamo Getty Images

The retirement of Matt Reis means there’s a question as to who’ll be between the sticks for the New England Revolution for the first season in a long, long time. The Revs have taken steps to firm up their defense, but the battle for the starting goalkeeper job will be among the most-monitored in New England.

Bobby Shuttleworth, Luis Soffner and newly-reacquired Brad Knighton will compete for the gig in camp. Whoever wins the job will be undertaking a huge task, as Reis’ leadership loomed large.

“Matt was probably the biggest part of our locker room,” Shuttleworth said. “He’s such a charismatic guy and he’s such a good person that you can’t help but listen to what he has to say and want to follow him. He definitely gives out an aura where he’s completely in control all the time and that kinda puts everyone else at ease.”

Shuttleworth signed for the Revs after his junior year at the University at Buffalo. The Tonawanda, N.Y., native said Reis was instrumental in his acclimation to a professional career.

“It wasn’t just the type of thing where I could watch him and soak it in,” Shuttleworth said. “He would go out of his way to help me and see things that maybe I wasn’t seeing. There’s not enough things in the world that I could say about the guy as a player, as a person and as an leader. He filled every single role that you could want.”

Now Shuttleworth has the chance to take the mantle from Reis. While the club traded a 2015 conditional draft pick for Knighton on Dec. 11 ahead of the Re-Entry draft, Shuttleworth has more immediate familiarity with the system and made his strongest case during a four-game shutout streak last summer.

“At the time, it was just trying to take it game for game and not trying to look at that kinda stuff,” Shuttleworth said. “I was trying to keep my form in each individual games. Unfortunately we went on a little bit of a bad run there and I was one of the guys who got placed out of the lineup.”

In mid-June, Shuttleworth was leading MLS in goals against average and save percentage after leading clean sheet efforts against Houston, Toronto, Los Angeles and DC United. Those numbers rose and Reis returned. The veteran’s retirement sets up an interesting training camp battle with Knighton and Soffner.

Shuttleworth posted a 1.31 goals against average and stopped 67 percent of shots while posting nine clean sheets and a 7-11-5 record in 22 starts, while Knighton posted a slightly higher GAA (1.36) and save percentage (70) in posting two clean sheets and a 6-3-2 record for Vancouver, where he spent 2012-13 after playing 2010 for Philadelphia and 2007-09 with New England.

“Obviously they went and traded for Brad and I have a previous relationship with Brad and we work really well together,” Shuttleworth said. “There’s no expectations at this point for myself. Obviously I want to be playing so that’s one thing in my mind is I need to come into preseason and establish myself right away and hope that all those games I played in last year translate into this season.”

“The talks I’ve had with (the coaching staff) are that I need to come into preseason and work hard. I’m not expecting anything to be given to me. Last year, was probably my best year. I played in 20-something games and had a good run of form. I just want that to translate into next season. “

And if all goes well, he’ll move past an odd preseason to play against his former teammate, now the goalkeeper coach in Los Angeles.

“The first thing that’s going to be weird is he’s not going to be in the locker room or at training,” Shuttleworth said. “Matt and I have a great relationship so it’s going to be weird to see him with another crest on his shirt, for sure.”

Regardless of how it turns out, Shuttleworth has come a long way from his offseason signing in 2009. He credits Shalrie Joseph, Steve Ralston, Jay Heaps and Reis for helping him transition from college star into the role of a professional.

“It wasn’t easy at first. I got here in the summer of 2009 so I came in midseason so I didn’t really know anyone. I didn’t get that rookie time during preseason to get to know everyone and know each other. That first half year was definitely a big struggle for me. I didn’t really know anyone on the team. I was kinda just coming to training and going home. I was away from my family and it was definitely hard to go from one of the biggest leaders on a team to being someone who doesn’t really have a voice at all. I kinda bided my time and tried to learn as much as I could from the coaching staff and Matt and other players on the team. Just kinda put in my work, put my head time and hope for the best. You try to do all the right things to try to move up.”

Latest Posts
  1. Danny Williams finally undergoes knee surgery, will miss start of Reading’s season

Jul 28, 2014, 5:54 PM EDT

Reading v Blackpool - Sky Bet Championship Getty Images

U.S. international’s knee surgery will sideline him for “several weeks.”

2. Rodriguez, Schneiderlin close to joining Pochettino at Tottenham

Jul 28, 2014, 4:57 PM EDT

Southampton v Fulham - Premier League Getty Images

Two Saints look to follow their former manager to North London.

3. PST’s Major League Soccer Player of the Week: Portland’s Diego Valeri

Jul 28, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT

Diego Valeri's fifth goal of the season, his second game-winner in a row, gave Portland a 3-2 win in Montréal. (Credit: AP) AP

Timber’s game-winning goal in Montréal separated him from a tight field.

4. After Balotelli, Martinez take “selfies” with pitch invaders, should we be worried?

Jul 28, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT

Source, Twitter: @NA_B27 Source, Twitter: @NA_B27

After two on-pitch selfie occur with players over the weekend, security needs to be stepped up.

5. Brazil want Neymar to play at 2016 Olympics in Rio

Jul 28, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT

BRASILIA, BRAZIL - JUNE 23: Neymar of Brazil celebrates scoring his team's second goal during the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil Group A match between Cameroon and Brazil at Estadio Nacional on June 23, 2014 in Brasilia, Brazil. Getty Images

Could Neymar represent Brazil at the 2016 Olympics in Rio?

6. Everton buy smart, sign Bosnian midfielder Muhamed Besic

Jul 28, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT

muhamed_besic AP

Besic, 21, has signed a five-year deal with the Toffees.

7. VIDEO: Gareth Bale scores wondergoal for Real Madrid on US tour

Jul 28, 2014, 1:43 PM EDT

Villarreal CF v Real Madrid CF - La Liga Getty Images

Bale smashes in an absolute beauty from distance. Check it out, here.

8. The great Southampton exodus continues. Why is this happening?

Jul 28, 2014, 12:58 PM EDT

Southampton v Hull City - Premier League Getty Images

After selling over $170 million of talent so far this summer, what are Saints playing at?

9. US striker Terrence Boyd out injured after tearing ACL

Jul 28, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT

FBL-EUR-C3-RAPID WIEN-KRC GENK Getty Images

Boyd out after injury in Queens Park Rangers friendly.

10. Lionel Messi’s tax fraud case will go ahead

Jul 28, 2014, 11:25 AM EDT

Messi AP

He may be one of the best soccer players the planet has ever seen, but Messi is not above the law.

11. Arsenal confirm $27 million signing of Calum Chambers

Jul 28, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT

Source: Arsenal FC Source: Arsenal FC

Arsenal splash the cash to sign 19-year-old Southampton academy graduate.

12. Harry Redknapp says Loic Remy failing Liverpool medical is “not possible”

Jul 28, 2014, 10:25 AM EDT

Queens Park Rangers' Remy reacts during their English Premier League soccer match against Everton in Liverpool Reuters

Did Remy fail a medical at Liverpool? ‘Arry isn’t buying it.

13. British politicians call for Russia to be stripped of 2018 World Cup

Jul 28, 2014, 9:20 AM EDT

Vladimir Putin AP

Clegg, Downing Street, discuss Russia hosting the 2018 World Cup.

14. Manchester City host #AskJesus (Navas) Twitter chat, hilarious comments ensue

Jul 28, 2014, 8:44 AM EDT

Navas Getty Images

If you use the hashtag #AskJesus, expect to get results like this.

15. Atletico Madrid sign French striker Antoine Griezmann

Jul 28, 2014, 8:04 AM EDT

Antoine Griezmann

Atletico add Griezmann to partner Mandzukic in new-look attack.

16. Arsene Wenger taking $27 million “gamble” on teenager Calum Chambers

Jul 28, 2014, 7:38 AM EDT

calum_chambers Getty Images

Arsenal may be taking a “gamble” but it certainly paid off the last two times they bought teenagers from Southampton.

17. Liverpool plays to compact 1-0 win over Olympiacos

Jul 27, 2014, 11:08 PM EDT

LiverpoolOlympiacos AP

Liverpool looks focused on improving its shape heading into the upcoming Premier League season.

18. MLS Roundup: Dallas pulls out heroic draw, Valeri gives Timbers late win

Jul 27, 2014, 10:17 PM EDT

Fernandez Getty Images

Raul Fernandez held Vancouver to a draw while Portland won a 3-2 barnburner with Montreal.

19. Petr Cech says he won’t back down at Chelsea anytime soon

Jul 27, 2014, 7:24 PM EDT

Cech Getty Images

With Thibaut Courtois hot on his trail, Petr Cech isn’t about to let the youngster’s hype get in the way of his 11-year Chelsea career.