Dec 27, 2013, 5:26 PM EDT
Juventus striker Carlos Tevez is enjoying his club’s stay at the top of Italy’s Serie A.
Not only does it allow them to peer down at everyone else, but he’s taken the opportunity to kick others while they’re down.
With Internazionale 15 points back in fifth place, and AC Milan shockingly in the bottom half, Tevez says the reason for their struggles are due to the absence of any big-name signings recently.
“Milan and Inter haven’t bought major players for a number of years now,” Tevez pointed out to Corriere della Sera. “Without a strong team, you cannot do well.”
While that last part isn’t exactly cutting-edge analysis, Tevez has a point when it comes to Inter.
In the last three years, the biggest name they’ve spent on is most likely goalkeeper Samir Handanovic, having spent €12 million ($16.5 million) to buy their shotstopper from Udinese in the summer of 2012.
Otherwise, the list is a touch underwhelming.
However, when it comes to AC Milan’s disastrous last year or so, this can’t be the reason.
Milan splashed the cash for polarizing young striker Mario Balotelli from Manchester City in the summer of 2012, and purchased superstar Zlatan Ibrahimovic the summer before after a year loan spell (although that didn’t last too long).
Just this summer, Milan spent €11 million ($15.1 million) on Alessandro Matri from Tevez’s Juventus, and the 29-year-old’s production has been vastly underwhelming. They’ve also come to an agreement to take on Japanese star Keisuke Honda this winter, and brought on 31-year-old Kaka from Real Madrid before the season.
- Premier League roundup: Tense Saturday, as relegation battle intensifies 0
- Manchester City 3-2 Aston Villa: Stunning finish sees City hold on after Guzan’s blunder 2
- Back in the big time: Watford promoted to the Premier League 3
- Burnley 0-1 Leicester City: Foxes move out of drop zone, send Clarets bottom! 0
- Southampton 2-2 Tottenham Hotspur: Visitors twice come back from Pelle goals 0
- Watch Live: West Bromwich Albion vs. Liverpool (Lineups and Live Stream) 0