Dec 28, 2013, 1:44 PM EDT
It wasn’t exactly a dazzling display against Norwich City on Saturday, but Manchester United ground out a 1-0 win away from home to help them climb up the table and they’re now within touching distance of the top four.
For much of the first half the Red Devils were under the cosh as Norwich pegged them back and reduced David Moyes‘ side to half chances, as they looked devoid of ingenuity going forward.
However that all changed in the second half, as half time substitute Danny Welbeck came off the bench to score when 15 minutes of his arrival and win the game for United.
Following the match Moyes hailed Welbeck, but also praised Norwich for their workmanlike display.
“Norwich put on a great show today, but we did as well,” Moyes said. “We kept it quite tight at the back. To get two away victories in three days in the Premier League is a good return for us. Danny Welbeck couldn’t score very often last season, but he looks like he will do it every time now. He changed the game today when he came on.”
Welbeck has now scored four times in his last four PL games and is looking confident in a central role for the Red Devils. So often in the past he has been deployed on the wing for club and country, but you can see that Welbeck really thrives when leading the line on his own.
That opportunity has come after injuries to both Robin van Persie and Wayne Rooney, who were missing for the win against Norwich. But Moyes believes the latter will be back for United’s big game against Spurs on New Years Day.
Until then Welbeck’s the main man, as far as Moyes is concerned.
“He is doing very well, and we need everybody to chip in with goals when Wayne Rooney and Robin van Persie are out,” Moyes said. “Rooney has a groin strain. But I would expect Rooney to be back for Tottenham.”
- PST Extra: Who are the Premier League’s top offseason acquisitions so far? (video) 1
- Premier League defenders: Who’s in our Top Five? And how to choose just five? 6
- Maps, rivals, stadiums: Location of all 20 Premier League teams for 2015-16 season 4
- On his way out of PSG, should Arsenal or Manchester United sign Zlatan Ibrahimovic? 1
- Tuesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Rose to Chelsea, Traore to Liverpool 1
- AZ Alkmaar agree to sell USMNT forward Aron Johannsson to Werder Bremen 3