Dec 28, 2013, 7:40 AM EDT
José Mourinho, in typical José Mourinho fashion, suggested when speaking to Chelsea TV on Friday that it might be nice if Luis Suárez came down with injury before Chelsea meet Liverpool on Sunday. Not a serious one, mind, with Mourinho saying, “I’m not asking for a big injury… Just a little injury to stop him playing for four days.”
Of course the Blues’ boss isn’t suggesting that someone take a pipe to the Uruguayan’s kneecap — or perhaps bite him on the arm — but it’s logical that Mourinho would want fate to intervene and keep Suárez out of contention on Sunday. The Liverpool striker has 19 goals in 13 matches. Chelsea’s forwards, meanwhile, can’t seem to score at all.
Fernando Torres and Samuel Eto’o each have two goals in league play, despite starting fifteen games and making eight substitute appearances between them. Demba Ba, with two starts and six appearances off the bench, has just one goal. Last time out, Eto’o missed two clear cut chances to net his third goal of the season. Instead, Chelsea’s goals are coming from their midfield, with Eden Hazard at seven and Oscar at five.
After Chelsea beat Swansea and Liverpool fell at Manchester City on Boxing Day, the two sides are separated by just one point. If other results go their way, Mourinho could see his side take the top of the table by the time Sunday finishes. So perhaps he can be forgiven for joking about Suárez, who could very well make the difference in this match.
Let’s just hope that if Suárez makes an impression, it’s by getting the ball in the back of the net. Because vampire jokes are just so 2013.
- Premier League Download: Tale of the newly-promoted teams 0
- FIFA Executive: “The 2022 World Cup in Qatar will not happen” 3
- Premier League Playback: Legendary Lampard strikes, United’s shambolic implosion 0
- Men in Blazers podcast: A Night of 1,000 Stars 0
- Report: Sami Khedira to seal $20 million Arsenal move in January 1
- Emotional Lampard just as shocked after pegging back ex-club Chelsea (VIDEO) 0