Dec 28, 2013, 12:40 PM EDT
Tom Huddlestone turned in the fourth goal of Hull City’s 6-0 rout of Fulham on Sunday. The midfielder had a terrific game, putting in a goal, hitting the crossbar and generally terrorizing the frightened Fulham side. And to celebrate? Why, he got a haircut.
On the touchline.
Much of Huddlestone’s buoyant afro is a result of a promise he made not to chop his locks until he managed to find the back of the net. Hull fans thought the locks would vanish after the ball landed beyond Simon Mignolet in the Tigers’ surprising win over Liverpool at the start of December, but the goal was ultimately judged an own goal knocked in by Marten Skrtel.
There was no doubt about Huddlestone’s goal against Fulham, however. The visiting defense failed to clear their lines (something of a theme in the match) and the ball fell to Huddlestone at the edge of the area. The midfielder took a touch before sending the ball flying into the bottom right corner. That was his first Premier League goal since April 2011.
Huddlestone then ran to the touchline, where a member of Hull’s backroom staff pulled out of a pair of scissors. Seconds later, he was missing a chunk of hair. One hopes he can schedule an appointment with an actual stylist later in the day, or Huddlestone will likely be facing some amusing photos later in life: it’s his 27th birthday today, and no doubt the cameras will be out to capture the festivities.
And to think Fulham almost signed him last January…
- On his way out of PSG, should Arsenal or Manchester United sign Zlatan Ibrahimovic? 1
- Tuesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Rose to Chelsea, Traore to Liverpool 1
- AZ Alkmaar agree to sell USMNT forward Aron Johannsson to Werder Bremen 1
- Premier League Goalkeeper preview: Who’s in our Top Five, and who switched clubs? 4
- Best starting lineups for all 20 Premier League teams – Do you agree? 9
- VIDEO: Cristiano Ronaldo storms out of interview: “Doesn’t give a ****” about FIFA 7