Dec 29, 2013, 9:52 AM EDT
One man is dead and six others in critical condition after clashes at a match in the African country of Malawi.
The Malawian Super League match between Mighty Wanderers and Silver Strikers in Balaka saw Strikers ahead 1-0 when the match was abandoned due to the fan violence.
A police spokesperson said they found a man lying in a pool of blood and rushed him to the hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival, possibly due to blunt force trauma to the head.
Police said two people were detained following the incidents and were due in court on Monday.
According to the BBC, it appeared the clashes were started by Strikers fans, something which was not the case when Wanderers were handed a home ground ban earlier this year for fan violence.
Super League general secretary Williams Banda said on the incident,
“We do not expect death in the game as beautiful as soccer. This is very shocking and we will make sure that all those involved are brought before the court of law. We have information on several more fans that were caught on camera and submitted such to the police. We hope they will do a good job because it is only when perpetrators are punished that we can end violence.”
The stadium in Balaka has a capacity of 6,000 fans, and the attempt by police to disperse the crowd led to a stampede.
- Stuart Holden out for 6-9 months, as serious injury hits U.S. international once again 0
- Three things we learned from Arsenal’s failed UEFA Champions League campaign 1
- Battling Arsenal bow out, as Bayern Munich reach UEFA Champions League quarters after 1-1 draw (3-1, agg.) 0
- Two from Diego Costa help Atlético Madrid cruise past Milan in Champions League, 4-1 (5-1, agg.) 0
- ProSoccerTalk’s MLS Team of the Week – Week 1 0
- ProSoccerTalk’s MLS Player of the Week: Will Bruin 0
- Sporting KC's Television Network Expands
- American Investment Firm Buying Up Man United Stock
- Earthquakes vs. Toluca: CONCACAF Champions League
- San Jose Earthquakes Acquire Benfica Midfielder Yannick Djalo
- Revs Waive DelPiccolo; Roster Stands at 27
- Inter President Denies Holding Talks with Chicharito
- Nearly Perfect Start for Galaxy, Result Aside
- USWNT Lose to Denmark 5-3 in Algarve Cup
- Real Salt Lake's Nick Rimando Named MLS Player of the Week
- Will Johnson Signs New Multi-Year Contract With Portland Timbers